Man faces ticket scalping charges

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 1:40 PM
Last updated 3:09 PM

Typically deputies don’t make arrests for ticket scalping on the first day of Masters Week but this year authorities made an exception for a repeat offender.

James Russ, 57, was booked into the Richmond County Jail Monday on charges of criminal trespass and unlawful sale of athletic tickets after deputies caught him scalping tickets on the grounds of the Augusta National.

“He was known to us,” said Capt. Scott Gay.

Russ had previously been banned from the course and had arrests from Masters weeks in 2008 and 2009.

“Typically we warn people on Monday and then on Tuesday and Wednesday we make charges,” Gay said.

On Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the problem is usually minimal, but the problem arises again on Sunday when people heading home try to sell their tickets.

Arrests have been made today, but totals were not immediately available. In 2011, at least 11 people were charged for scalping on Tuesday.

First-time offenders are charged with disorderly conduct. Any repeat offenders are charged with unlawful sale of athletic tickets.

LLArms
LLArms 04/03/12 - 01:24 pm
Can someone explain to me

Can someone explain to me exactly what scalping harms? People are only willing to pay for something if they think the asking price is worth it. Is scalping nothing more than the term 'price gouge' in different flavor? (Price gouging is almost impossible in a free market).

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/03/12 - 01:36 pm
It's simply a manifestation

It's simply a manifestation of the law of supply and demand.

A commodity for which there is a high demand but which is in short supply will inevitably result in greatly increased prices until such point as consumer resistance becomes a factor.

Never understood the fever for Masters' tickets. You can't see 10% of what you see on TV. If ever there was game made for TV, it's golf.

my.voice
my.voice 04/03/12 - 01:40 pm
A - It's market protection.

A - It's market protection. If one guy bought all the tickets, he'd have control.

B - It's the Augusta National. We are not worthy.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/03/12 - 02:09 pm
It has nothing to do with The

It has nothing to do with The Augusta National per say. It is a state law that applies to the Braves, Falcons, concert, etc. If he moved 2700 ft down the road he wouldn't have been arrested.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 04/03/12 - 02:47 pm
Aw, give him another second

Aw, give him another second chance- his nineteenth.

Retired Army
Retired Army 04/03/12 - 03:04 pm
Geez Louise, where are all

Geez Louise, where are all the anti government intrusion "free enterprise" defenders today. Capitalism at it's best, eh? Oh hell, they must be busy scalpin' tickets or renting out houses to the suckers-uh-tourists.

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/03/12 - 03:54 pm
You may be beaten black and

You may be beaten black and blue, your house broken into and your car stolen, but take comfort in knowing that every available law enforcement officer in a 25-mile radius (SWAT team included) will prevent scalping this week.

I sleep well at night.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/12 - 03:59 pm
Now that is funny

Now that is funny insider!!..lol

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/03/12 - 04:15 pm
I see the point in

I see the point in questioning the real reason for the problem with scalping. If someone wants to pay it, then let'em buy it. If NOBODY wants to pay it, then the price WILL COME DOWN. It's pure economics...high demand, high price--low demand, low price. And, yeah, what about the prices that people are charging for their houses or hotel rooms? High demand, high price---low demand, low price, right? I guess the state law is in place to protect us from ourselves?? Uh, thanks?

ReleehwEoj
ReleehwEoj 04/03/12 - 05:26 pm
A ridiculous law and equally

A ridiculous law and equally ridiculous effort spent to enforce it. Can't understand how we decided scalping was criminal but not local bars, restaurants and hotels jacking up their prices during this week.

ReleehwEoj
ReleehwEoj 04/03/12 - 05:26 pm
A ridiculous law and equally

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 04/03/12 - 05:35 pm
So if he sat 2701 feet away

So if he sat 2701 feet away from the Augusta National with a sign that said "Masters Passes for $8000" then he's okay?

csraguy
csraguy 04/03/12 - 05:38 pm
He wasn't arrested for

He wasn't arrested for scalping tickets, it was for scalping on the grounds of the Augusta National. He and most others know the law, just go outside of the boundries, not a big deal.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 05:40 pm
Good info, CSRAGuy.

Good info, CSRAGuy.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/03/12 - 05:56 pm
I'm surprised the ANGC isn't

I'm surprised the ANGC isn't more aggressive about policing it themselves. Unless their policy has changed, you are forbidden to re-sell your badge. All they need to do is start buying some on the open market, scanning them, and taking them away from the owners permanently.
I think the idea behind no resale is the tickets are so hard to come by, and they want legitimate golf loving patrons to own the rights to them, not someone who got on the list 50 years ago and just sells them for big profit.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 06:07 pm
IsAnotherD, don't you think

IsAnotherD, don't you think an officer working inside the National on a special, arrested this guy? The guy seems like an idiot openly trying to deal in tickets on the grounds.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/03/12 - 06:52 pm
chadwick, yes. Although the

chadwick, yes. Although the going price is about $2500.

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/03/12 - 07:00 pm
The only thing that draws the

The only thing that draws the ire of the the Big Green Monster more than scalping is FWB (fishing while black).

FWB at the National will get you shot.

Totally Outraged
Totally Outraged 04/04/12 - 03:05 am
To Its another day... Ticket

To Its another day... Ticket reselling will NEVER be stopped. If you are that naive to think not, then I would like to sell you a timeshare at the 16th green! You have no idea how many people have been reselling their badges for so many many years. By the way, when they take away the badges from the present owners, they will reissue them to someone else who is likely to resell them at a profit too. FACE REALITY If you think the powers that be really give a crap about it, I'd also like to sell you a gold plated authentic replica (with a certificate of authenticity of course) mashie niblick signed by Bobby Jones himself! (limited edition of 2500)

Totally Outraged
Totally Outraged 04/04/12 - 02:57 am
To just the facts... Is that

To just the facts... Is that 2700 feet as the crow flies or should I just show up with a tape measure and risk arrest for "measuring without a permit" LOL

allhans
allhans 04/04/12 - 05:06 am
I can recall not so far in

I can recall not so far in the past, panhandling was outlawed because the panhandlers were harassing people.

Don't come up to me, grabbing my arm, asking if I want to sell my ticket. I, along, with most people, don't deserve that. )

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/04/12 - 07:03 am
totally, for a ticket broker,

totally, for a ticket broker, you seem pretty uninformed ( no offense, just saying).

bigclaude
bigclaude 04/04/12 - 07:20 am
Wait a minute? Why is it OK

Wait a minute? Why is it OK for this guy to advertise his ticket brokering operation in the comments section, but Austin can't mention anything about his show?

Can I get free advertising for my business too? Sean, would you please clarify the rules on this? Seems like a double standard to me.

Totally Outraged
Totally Outraged 04/04/12 - 07:39 am
That's a pretty general

That's a pretty general statement. What am I so uninformed about? Oh yeah, that's right, I should know the ticket laws in the great state of Georgia. The citizens who love and support this tournament from all over the world should know them too! Augusta National shouldn't inform anybody that they have decided to start locking them up for buying a ticket less than 1/2 mile from their hallowed grounds.

It is you, Sergeant Friday (Dragnet reference) that is uninformed. This is not just about unauthorized ticket scalping. It is also about how one narrow minded group of bigots (that's right, I said it again) can control everything around and below them. They think their crap doesn't stink. I wish that just one major golfer or sponsor had the convictiuon to boycott this tournament and club. That would send the right message. Wake up Augusta National! This is 2012 and the times have changed all around you. I guess that money does make the world go round and IBM ( Individuals who Bow to their Masters) lacks the balls to make a positive change. I say F them all and shame on them all too. The last time I checked, we live in America. Nuff Said.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/04/12 - 07:48 am
Alrighty then. LOL.

Alrighty then. LOL.

Totally Outraged
Totally Outraged 04/04/12 - 07:55 am
Hey Big Caude, Why not just

Hey Big Caude, Why not just call the Richmond County Sheriff's office and have them lock me up too? The charge could be "speaking my mind in a Democratic society" I'm sure that at some point my phone number will be removed, but I don't care about that. If I REALLY wanted to advertise, I'd go 2701 feet away and carry a sign showing my comments. You can dislike me for what I do just like I can dislike Augusta National for what they are doing. After all THIS IS AMERICA, land of the free and home of the brave, neither of which I see in this whole sordid mess. WAKE UP.

P.S. the word is per se, Sergeant Friday.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/04/12 - 08:20 am
Is posting his mug shot just

Is posting his mug shot just for the purpose of trying to shame and embarass Russ? That's not likely to happen. Or, perhaps, is the publication of his mug shot for the purpose of warning Augusta citizens and visitors of this dangerous criminal? Should we call 911 if we see him walking free on the streets?

bigclaude
bigclaude 04/04/12 - 08:05 am
You present this "hatred" for

You present this "hatred" for the Augusta National and the way that they do things, but you don't seem to mind making money off of them by selling their tickets. Their act must not bother you too much since you don't seem to mind profiting from it.

allhans
allhans 04/04/12 - 12:00 pm
This is interesting. I

This is interesting. I remember once that a group was raising money to have the "Masters" moved to ANOTHER city, one that wouldn't raise prices (LOL).
It takes all kinds, and the Masters will always it's usual few detractors. That's the way it is.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/04/12 - 12:21 pm
Yeah, Allhans. And I

Yeah, Allhans. And I remember a long time ago when a former Augusta National chairman wanted the churches to move Easter to a different Sunday so it wouldn't conflict with the final round.

Disc golf tournament benefits Augusta charity

APPLING — When Paul Childs runs a disc golf tournament, he wants it to mean something for the rest of the community. Childs he found a cause worth supporting: the Ronald McDonald House Charities.