Monterrey Mexican Restaurant in North Augusta burglarized

Monday, April 2, 2012 7:27 AM
Last updated 4:11 PM

Authorities are searching for suspects after a burglary at Monterrey Mexican Restaurant, 436 E. Martintown Road, North Augusta.

A manager told North Augusta Public Safety on Sunday morning that a rear window was broken, and nine TVs and two video surveillance hard drives were missing.

Police tracked footprints throughout the business and believe the burglar entered through the rear window, stole the items and then climbed through the ceiling to gain access to a locked office where the safe is located, according to an incident report.

The safe lock was also damaged.

meginlea
meginlea 04/02/12 - 08:04 am
My family is filled with avid

My family is filled with avid Monterrey's fans. My husband, a New York native, was introduced to the restaurant and quickly became one as well. When I read him the title of this article as we sit here in NY this morning, his first response was 'did they steal the cheese dip?' What a dork. ;p

In all seriousness, I hope they catch whoever did this. The folks at every Monterrey's we go to are always so kind. :/

bdouglas
bdouglas 04/02/12 - 08:41 am
They knew where to find video

They knew where to find video surveillance hard drives and how to gain access to the office via the ceiling? Sounds like an inside job to me... Couldn't have been too quick of a job dismounting and carrying out 9 TV's.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 04/02/12 - 09:59 am
In this small town they had

In this small town they had time to get that much equipment out of the building and no one noticed anything?!!? This building is not hidden for Pete's sake!! Where were the police patrolling??? Not good at all....

LLArms
LLArms 04/02/12 - 10:47 am
proud2bamerican - if hes

proud2bamerican - if hes taking the stuff out the back the chances of being seen from the road may be next to none.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/02/12 - 11:43 am
They're home free. As long as

They're home free.

As long as they didn't exceed 35 mph along Martintown Rd, their chances of being apprehended are essentially zero.

bdouglas
bdouglas 04/02/12 - 01:37 pm
Ditto what LLArms said. If

Ditto what LLArms said. If you're not next to or in front of this building, there's no way anyone would see you. It's tucked in the woods.

Proud2b: Obviously the perp didn't speed when leaving the scene, so NAPD probably wouldn't notice. heh

David Parker
David Parker 04/02/12 - 01:59 pm
all plausible, I just

all plausible, I just wouldn't mark inside job off the table yet. Pretty gutsy to spend the time to load up 9 tv's, hard drives, surveillance equipment, crawling through false ceilings and what not. I think the footprints can clarify how many perps inside the building, but there could have been double that outside doing the loading as the ones inside were bringing the merchandise. Sounds like a job that took a while but with enough tweakers or B-n-E vets, they could have pulled this off in under 15 mins.

my.voice
my.voice 04/02/12 - 02:03 pm
The only way NAPD can bust a

The only way NAPD can bust a criminal is if they speed from the scene.

etlinks
20021
etlinks 04/02/12 - 03:37 pm
If you don't speed its not a

If you don't speed its not a problem.The NAPD does a fine job and I hope they catch these bums.

Jake
Jake 04/02/12 - 06:24 pm
I wonder if the TV's will end

I wonder if the TV's will end up for sale at the other Monterrey's in Evans?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/02/12 - 06:37 pm
oooooooo, Jake! I was

oooooooo, Jake! I was thinking about the other Monterrey's incident, too.

my.voice
my.voice 04/02/12 - 09:37 pm
@etlinks.....NAPD has more

@etlinks.....NAPD has more unsolved crimes than any municipality in our area. They are over focused on traffic enforcement, but can't solve any real crime. That's fact.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/02/12 - 10:17 pm
As a North Augusta resident,

As a North Augusta resident, I'm more concerned with speed than some TVs from Monterrey. Let Monterrey provide their own security as the rest of us do; it's not the taxpayers concern. Thanks NA Public Safety.

GaStang22
GaStang22 04/03/12 - 01:17 am
I just hope they meet the

I just hope they meet the armed victim that stops them permanently!!

etlinks
20021
etlinks 04/03/12 - 07:11 am
The crime backlog is a

The crime backlog is a problem in most cities and help from law abiding citizens would be nice. If you want to get somewhere in a hurry I suggest alternate routes such as I-20 or Palmetto Parkway around NA.

LLArms
LLArms 04/03/12 - 10:13 am
A little known fact: Did you

A little known fact: Did you know that your local law enforcement has no duty to protect you or your belongings?

Goat project looking good

In just more than a week since nine goats were assigned to eat overgrown vegetation at an Augusta detention pond, officials and area residents are already noticing a difference.