Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man, 20, arrested in killing Augusta man, 19

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:18 AM
Last updated 10:27 PM

A 20-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the Thursday morning fatal shooting of a 19-year-old man, authorities said.

Ronny Rashad Bonner is charged with murder, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, burglary and armed robbery, Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Blaise Dresser said.

Dresser added that investigators have identified, and are searching for, other suspects.

About 3 a.m., three armed men forced their way into a home in the 1400 block of Wrightsboro Road Dresser said.

Several people were inside the home at the time, including Charlie Jones III, who was killed.

Dresser said the three men were robbing the victims, but when one victim, 19-year-old James Wright, tried to run, a gunman opened fire.

Bullets stuck Wright in the chin and arm. He was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Another bullet stuck Jones. Police found the victim in a bed. He was also taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:42 a.m., Deputy Coroner Kenneth Boose said.

Jones was Augusta’s 10th homicide of the year.

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/29/12 - 07:57 am
Sad. He probably knew the

Sad. He probably knew the shooter(s). Probably same age group. Don't understand why people are killing the way they are. Must be in the last days.

LouLou
LouLou 03/29/12 - 08:01 am
What is going on with all

What is going on with all these senseless killings? Folks wake up. Life
is too precious to be taken for granted. My heart aches for both families.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 03/29/12 - 08:02 am
Another site said it was

Another site said it was associated with a home invasion.

blues550
blues550 03/29/12 - 08:33 am
Thinning continues.

Thinning continues.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/29/12 - 08:38 am
Another one. Sad and tragic.

Another one. Sad and tragic.

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 03/29/12 - 08:59 am
WGAC reported it was a home

WGAC reported it was a home invasion. If that's the case, the shooting would have been justified. That is unless he was wearing a hoodie, because I think you are allowed to get away with whatever you want if you are wearing a hoodie.

LLArms
LLArms 03/29/12 - 09:55 am
PhiloPublius made me chuckle.

PhiloPublius made me chuckle.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/29/12 - 02:09 pm
Philo, according to this

Philo, according to this article, the robber shot the resident, not the other way around. Anyway, if I said something about a hoddie my comment would be reported as an attack on black people and removed.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 03/29/12 - 02:40 pm
Hoodies are worn by all

Hoodies are worn by all races. There is probably more to this story than just a home invasion @ random. Unfortunately one of the residents is dead and can't tell his version. But the article itself refers to "home invasion" so I don't understand that comment about 'another site'.

etlinks
19991
etlinks 03/29/12 - 02:49 pm
Sad story all around and yes

Sad story all around and yes I wear my hood up when it is 20,30 degrees outside but not in Florida.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 03/29/12 - 02:53 pm
Black on black violence. The

Black on black violence.

The elephant in the room.

Al.........Jesse..........where are you??

advertencia
advertencia 03/29/12 - 03:21 pm
@PhiloPublius YES he probably

@PhiloPublius YES he probably would have gotten away if it were a KKK hoodie! Are you still laughing @ LLArms?

allmostgone
allmostgone 03/29/12 - 04:32 pm
I think all Blacks need to

I think all Blacks need to pick up the pace of Killing each other.
That way they can't play the Old Race Card

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 03/29/12 - 06:39 pm
GaStang22
GaStang22 03/29/12 - 07:04 pm
Thanks Chad, I knew I seen

Thanks Chad, I knew I seen that mugshot somewhere, but of course the AC search doesn't work very well half the time so I didn't even bother after the first time. It worked this time. this kid had a felony for theft at 14, assaulted a teacher, multiple burglaries, since then, another felony...etc..... Where were the parents?? Where was the justice system?? He kept getting slaps on the wrist. In 5 short years, he had a longer record with a couple of felonies, that beats most criminals we see on here. No telling how much trouble he got into before 14. The people influencing this kids life and the justice system failed miserably here. So sad.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/29/12 - 07:06 pm
etlinks, I been thinking the

etlinks, I been thinking the same thing. Who wears a hoodie in 60 and 70 degree weather?? I guess its no different than other peoples poor taste in clothing. Especially people who wear for looks and not comfort like super high heels to work 10 hours in, wearing clothes 3 sizes to small. lol

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 03/29/12 - 08:18 pm
CoastalDawg, I made that post

CoastalDawg, I made that post before the article here referenced it as being part of a home invasion. At 8:02 the article was very short. The story was later updated.

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/29/12 - 08:49 pm
Yep, same age group. Not

Yep, same age group. Not surprised. Same ol' story, different day. They need to get a grip on the youth in Augusta. Seems nobody has a conscious anymore. Everything is about robbing and killing. Everyone loses in these situations. A 20 year-old has taken a life and wasted his own.

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 03/29/12 - 10:52 pm
This is an outrage! When can

This is an outrage! When can we expect the race hustlers, oops, excuse me, I mean when can we expect Al and Jesse to show up. Surely they shall be marching in the streets showing their outrage for this senseless killing (I mean MURDER!). Surely they will be demanding a full and thorough investigation! Don't get me wrong I feel for the family of the young man who was killed and offer my most sincere sympathies.

KSL
KSL 03/29/12 - 11:09 pm
Kudos to law enforcement for

Kudos to law enforcement for a speedy arrest. You guys throughout the CSRA deserve tons of credit for speedy arrests. Now if we could get our justice system to follow through with swift and certain punishment for those who are accused and found guilty.

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/30/12 - 12:23 am
Would like to see leaders of

Would like to see leaders of the community get together and see what it would take to save the young men and women of the area. This has to be very disappointing to the people of Augusta.

my.voice
my.voice 03/30/12 - 10:55 am
We have only ourselves to

We have only ourselves to blame for this. Not at the granular level, but big-picture. Our fair land was founded on some pretty awesome guiding principles, but alas, those were not afforded to all. We are only now reaping the fruit of hatred. Hatred breeds hatred, with the resulting hatred stronger than its "parent". For decades following emancipation, the races were segregated, one being made to be superior over the others. Freedom is not freedom without opportunity, and our African American brothers and sisters were not afforded opportunity. It took 100 years for equal opportunity to even get a place in our national discussion, but by this time:

We had raised 2 generations on welfare.
We raised another 2 generations on poverty.
We called the African American inferior.
We separated our FREE land into at least 2 classes.
We gave no opportunity without prejudice.

And all the while we claim ALL men are CREATED equal. If so, why punish a race for being CREATED?

Without hope, the people perish. They also become angry, dependent, and hopeless, eventually spinning into a sub culture nobody can survive. Generations have NOT been raised with the work ethic needed to survive and thrive. Why? No opportunity. Oh, today we rant and rave about opportunity and equal rights and a level playing field. But its not only a lie, too little to late, a hundred years too late. And in the shadows, grew a seething hatred. We see it now in this culture, in the music, in the drugs, in the lost lives of our young people. Sure, we can place blame at the granular level, for we are all responsible for our actions, but don't you see that our society is in a tailspin? And don't you know deep inside all the "equal rights" in the world wont change what we created as founders of a free nation did in our ignorance and hatred of men, women and children because of a pigment?

It will take another 4 to 5 generations to change whats been allowed and fostered to root and grow IF WE ACT NOW AND IN WAYS & METHODS WHICH ESCAPE ME AT PRESENT MOMENT.

We have a problem.............one we created. I hurt for this young man....again, not at the granular level, but big picture.

And yes, I'm a "white" guy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/30/12 - 08:59 am
Now this won't hit the

Now this won't hit the national news ...will it??

Any guess ..why....& this happens day in/day out .......I don't blame myself for this crap.....put the blame on the doers...I had a tough childhood too...I'm not killing...or stealing....
Put these jerks to work for their food-shelter & taking care of the babies they make...geeez
No......some will hollar on tv about how much more HELP they need to make things better....the daddie gov. will give it & the merry-g-round goes around again.....let me be in charge for a few years....I will clean it up.....with Freddies help of course...:):)

bentman
bentman 03/30/12 - 09:00 am
What a fine citizen. I look

What a fine citizen. I look forward to meeting him at my next civic club meeting.

shawnboese
shawnboese 03/30/12 - 10:32 am
@my.voice, most of us (who

@my.voice, most of us (who agree with you) couldnt have said it better!!!! What can possibly be expected of our youth when they were raised on so much hate and resentment?

debbiep38
debbiep38 03/30/12 - 10:53 am
My.Voice, suffering from a

My.Voice, suffering from a little of that white guilt complex,eh?

deadline
deadline 03/30/12 - 12:31 pm
my.voice... What about the

my.voice...

What about the generations of poor Irish, Italians, Jewish...then in the 70's and 80's came the poor Asians...They seem to be doing ok. The Asians particularly, smart, hard working kids, parents own restaurants, gas stations, hotels, real estate...

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 03/30/12 - 02:00 pm
deadline: slavery, Jim Crow,

deadline: slavery, Jim Crow, forced racial segregation in housing. None of the groups you mentioned experienced it. Not to mention the badge of inferority that was assigned to black skin in order to justify the above.

deadline
deadline 03/30/12 - 03:03 pm
palmetto...far from

palmetto...far from true...Irish, Italians, Jews were all discriminated against in a similar manner. But I will leave that to you to go re-read your history books.

I will give you that this was in the late 1800's and early 1900's, and for African-americans persisted until 1960's.

On the other hand, thats why I also gave the example of Asians who have recenlty immigrated. Many of which were poor and spoke little English, yet in 1-2 generations have become one of the wealthiest groups in America (per capita).

Goat project looking good

In just more than a week since nine goats were assigned to eat overgrown vegetation at an Augusta detention pond, officials and area residents are already noticing a difference.