Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Evans woman charged with DUI in February crash

Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:00 PM
Last updated 11:14 PM

A 22-year-old Evans woman has been charged with DUI and several traffic charges after her release from the hospital where she had been treated for injuries from a Feb. 20 crash.

Jenna Victoria Sevigny turned herself in to the Columbia County Detention Center after toxicology tests results received from the GBI Crime Lab on Friday showed her blood alcohol level was .20 percent, more than double the legal limit, said Columbia County Sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

Sevigny was also charged with failure to maintain lane, driving too fast for conditions and not wearing a seatbelt, Morris said.

Sevigny was injured in a violent single-vehicle crash about 3 a.m. Feb. 20 when she ran off North Belair Road near Furys Ferry Road and she overcorrected. Her car swerved to the opposite side of the road, traveled about 100 feet and hit a pine tree, splitting the car in two. Emergency workers found her partially thrown from the vehicle and took her to Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Sevigny recently was released from the hospital, Morris said, and was contacted by investigators after the GBI returned the blood test results.

She was released from the detention center after posting $4,400 bond, Morris said.

happychimer
happychimer 03/24/12 - 07:46 pm
She should never be allowed

She should never be allowed to drive again.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/24/12 - 09:02 pm
Personally I think she needs

Personally I think she needs some counseling with alcohol consumption and her licenses suspended for a period of time. Hopefully after counselling, some time to mature a little more, and realize that driving is a responsiblity not to be taken lightly, this young lady can change the direction her life is currently going.

paulwheeler
paulwheeler 03/24/12 - 09:35 pm
So, Happychimer, does your

So, Happychimer, does your post imply that she should never be able to drive to some sort of occupation and therefore become an
Obama supporter for the rest of her life? DUI is a crime, but people have to support themselves, and in the good old US of A that means being able to drive a car. This was a single car crash, no one was killed or maimed, so move on. If it happens again, different story.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 03/25/12 - 03:09 am
PW, By all means, let's give

PW,

By all means, let's give her another chance to kill somebody with a 1.5-ton unguided missile.

I've got a bike I'll donate to her "getting myself to work safely" efforts.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/25/12 - 04:19 am
I'd agree Paul. Not that you

I'd agree Paul. Not that you get a pass on first dui, but can be forgiven in the sense of punishment be appropriate and not ruin your life over it. However, it is sickening multiple dui's are misdemeanors and slaps on the wrist for punishment, even if they involve accidents with injury. If someone can't or won't stop driving drunk then they are either selfish or sick, either of which needs to be kept away from innocent people. Drink yourself to death if you want....don't drive!! No excuse for anyone in this world to have 5, 8,10 dui's etc... After so many, it is premeditated because you know you can't stop and you choose to not make other arrangements for you to get home or where ever you need to go. Drunk driving isn't an accident, its an on purpose, especially when its not your first one. It's ridiculous it is not treated as such until it ruins lives and families forever.....and even then most are not punished appropriately. Thank those bleeding hearts for that! One DUI I can give people...faulty equipment, dirty cop, barely over limit, young and dumb, didn't realize limit cuz not a drinker, someone spiked drink etc... as long as its taken to heart and a lesson learned. Though there is no excuse for ever doing it, people are human and make mistakes especially when young, and I don't think a persons life should be ruined over one lapse in judgement or possible technicality. Any more than that, you deserve to be locked away to keep you away from innocent people because you are now on notice and just do not care if you hurt or kill anyone. If your fun is worth more than any other human beings life to you to the extent you drive drunk repeatedly, that is intentional and selfish in my book and should be treated as a premeditated felony with years of jail time, and eventually LIFE!

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/25/12 - 04:37 am
Craig, I only wish it worked

Craig, I only wish it worked that way. But taking away a license prevents nothing. Some people do make a mistake or have a lapse in judgement and by the grace of God, do not hurt anyone. Those who are genuinely good people will learn from that bad choice and never ever do it again. I'd like any drunk driver to be prevented from never driving again the rest of their life, but also add that to anyone who's ever made any driving error for any reason. You ever speed just a little, accidentally cut someone off...anything while driving?? The potential was there to hurt or kill, but you got lucky and didn't. Under your theory if you ever had more than 1 speeding ticket or any moving violation, you shouldn't ever be allowed to drive again either. These bleeding hearts give repeat offenders with multiple multiple duis chance after chance with no consequences, or a wrist slap, I'm not going to say ruin a person who could have learned one of the most valuable lessons they can and took it to hearts life over it. After all, dui #5 is still a misdemeanor. Who really should be punished, the losers who drive drunk over and over because they can, or the sickening bleeding hearts who make it a misdemeanor and refuse to apply appropriate punishment to these drunks even after they hurt innocent people? I'm not taking up for her, and she deserves a hard stiff lesson, more than she will get from this justice system. But a 22 year old, especially with no prior record....ruin her from being self sufficient for life....really????

ImThatGuy
ImThatGuy 03/25/12 - 07:41 am
She was lucky! I'm with you

She was lucky! I'm with you on this one HappyChimer, driving shouldn't even be in her vocabulary.

iLove
iLove 03/25/12 - 09:04 am
Wow. . . yea, she is only 22

Wow. . . yea, she is only 22 and drinks like that?!? How long has she been drinking. . . .CC kids...

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 03/25/12 - 09:27 am
.""CC kids...""....is that

.""CC kids...""....is that code? Or would that be a subtle slur?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/25/12 - 10:40 am
I will admit I had a DUI

I will admit I had a DUI myself 30 years ago. I am doing fine now but will never drink and drive again. Perhaps her case is like mine, a very stupid and immature decision that I learned from. I am not saying that she shouldn't be punished. Just that if she learns from this mistake let her life go on. If she doesn't, the no she shouldn't be allowed to drive again. BTW, my BAC was .21 and now my employer lets me drive a 40 ton missile on the roads 'cause I have had a clean driving record since.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/25/12 - 11:05 am
Yes, ilove they would.

Yes, ilove they would. Especially with a young person if they have not been in trouble before. I'd lay more blame on the sickening bleeding hearts who treat dui's like they are no big deal. It doesn't deter anyone. Though I doubt it, you may be one of the rare ones who have never taken even a sip of alcohol and drove.. I mean a sip. But I'd bet the bank you, or someone in your family definitely drove when haven taken a sip of alcohol, especially when young. Now if they didn't know it would mix with their meds, didn't realize how it made them a little tipsy etc.. and was just above the limit, would you really say you or your family member who is a young person should never ever be able to drive or be self sufficient again? I'll bet that has done come and gone. And if they didn't get a dui, they HAVE driven a little tipsy. Just because they didn't get caught doesn't mean they didn't do it and they should lose their license too under these harsh theories.

I'm one of the hardest on drunk drivers, and yes the first time can kill and I'd have lots of animosity, but I also understand human nature and that good people make bad decisions. If you are lucky enough not to injure or kill someone and you learn from it, I think that is absolutely wonderful! I would not be the cold hearted prude to ruin a young person's life by never giving them a license again the rest of their life before they even have a chance to start college! You would be grateful if it were your good child that make a one time bad decision. There is a huge difference in being a bleeding heart enabling repetitive behavior and a giving a fellow human a second chance to prove they are a good person and can learn from their mistakes. I wouldn't mind if every drunk driver got such a still sentence, but a true drunk driver who does it repeatedly does so even without a license, with no jail time and slaps on the wrist for 5 or 10 duis. So taking a license for life from a young person with a one time error in judgement is just not logical when they could grow to be a very productive citizen who possibly can teach others from correcting the errors of their ways.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/25/12 - 11:14 am
Exactly RoadKiII. Nice to

Exactly RoadKiII. Nice to know you learned from it. That's all we can ask from one another. We are all human and all make mistakes in one way or another. We just pray we are lucky enough it don't cause others pain and learn from them. That's just called life. And some may undeservedly get a dui, very few, but some. But I agree, though there is no excuse for ever doing it even once, any after that first wake up call.....yer outta here! Too bad the law doesn't agree. That would deter more people if they knew they were facing permanent loss of license, serious jail time and couldn't pay their way out, nor just say oh well and continue driving without license and insurance.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/25/12 - 11:18 am
I don't even know why I

I don't even know why I bother to respond and reason with someone who makes such a post insinuating this is a county thing. You can't use logic with someone who has that chip.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/25/12 - 01:23 pm
"What if she killed someone,

"What if she killed someone, or even herself. . ..THEN would your comments be as sympathetic?"

I would hope my comment would be the same, although the consequences may be a little longer as far as removal of the driver's license. Need for counselling would be the same but to NEVER be able to drive after a first time even if someone lost their life seems a little harsh.

We all make mistakes in our lives and some are more severe than others, the important difference is, do we learn from our mistakes or bad choices. The hope for forgiveness and the chance for redemption is a wonderful thing, if we learn from it.

kimber61
kimber61 10/09/12 - 05:29 pm
And guess what...She just got

And guess what...She just got nailed again for a DUI! I'm with you, HappyChimer, she should NEVER be allowed to drive again