Aiken man claims he was carjacked in Augusta, forced to undress

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:37 AM
Last updated 9:05 PM

An Aiken man told police he was carjacked and forced to undress while trying to buy a cellphone Tuesday morning.

Jonathan Maurice Harley, 19, said he was contacted in response to a want ad he posted on Craigslist for a cellphone, according to an Richmond County sheriff’s incident report. He agreed to meet the caller in the 1900 block of Olive Road around 1:30 a.m. to purchase the cellphone.

Harley told deputies he was approached by two men with a handgun who demanded a cellphone and all his money. The men then demanded Harley remove his shorts and his blue Polo jacket before they fled in Harley’s vehicle.

The silver Dodge Stratus was later discovered in the 1200 block of Nellieville Road after deputies responded to a report that shots were fired.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/21/12 - 01:28 pm
1:30 a.m. on Olive Road is a

1:30 a.m. on Olive Road is a strange time and place to conduct business.

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/21/12 - 01:33 pm
1:30 am, Olive Road.....duh.

1:30 am, Olive Road.....duh. Not surprised how THAT turned out. I would be too embarrassed to report it.

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/21/12 - 01:46 pm
You can't even sell an old

You can't even sell an old cell phone anymore........come on, who in there right mind would agree to meet anyone anywhere at 1:30 am and on top of that go alone. Has everyone lost all of their common sense?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/21/12 - 02:54 pm
Rats, if they'd said 1:30am

Rats, if they'd said 1:30am MONDAY morning, it would have at least explained the 12-15 gunshots I heard THAT morning, but I think Nellieville Road would have been too far away for me to hear gunshots anyway. The shots I heard Monday were in the vicinity of Deans Bridge and Bobby Jones intersection (within a 1/2 mile or mile of Walmart, most likely).

happychimer
happychimer 03/21/12 - 03:07 pm
19 yr. olds don't usually

19 yr. olds don't usually realize dangers, and they think nothing of going out late at night. Hopefully this victim will learn from this bad experience.

trimmy
trimmy 03/21/12 - 09:29 pm
Is the street name for drugs

Is the street name for drugs "cellphone" now? What a doofus.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 03/21/12 - 09:31 pm
The article is a little

The article is a little confusing. Exactly who was selling and who was buying the cell phone?"He agreed to meet the caller in the 1900 block of Olive Road around 1:30 a.m. to purchase the cellphone" Who was doing the purchasing? The men then demanded Harley remove his shorts and his blue Polo jacket before they fled in Harley’s vehicle. I agree with Bamaman, I would have been too embarassed to report it, too. Some people.....

sassylassie
sassylassie 03/22/12 - 08:30 am
1:30 am? Buying/selling a

1:30 am? Buying/selling a cell phone? On Olive Road? From Craigslist? All the makings of a not so good situation.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 03/22/12 - 11:07 am
Sorry, but this story sounds

Sorry, but this story sounds and smells fishy to me.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/22/12 - 11:43 am
Yeah dude, I'll buy the

Yeah dude, I'll buy the phone. I will be easy to recognize, I'll be the guy in the ski mask holding a .45.

I guess common sense isn't as common as it used to be.