Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Hephzibah gunshot victim doesn't want to press charges

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:57 PM
Last updated 10:09 PM

A Hephzibah man who showed up at a hospital with a gunshot wound in his torso is refusing to cooperate with authorities.

Eric Wood, 22, arrived around 5:30 p.m. at Medical College of Georgia Hospital with a gunshot wound in his mid-section, Richmond County Sheriff’s Lt. Robbie Silas said.

Wood told authorities he was shot on Patiller Road in Hephzibah, but he declined to press charges. Without his cooperation, police will only be able file an injury report, Silas said.

Wood’s injury did not appear to be life-threatening.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 03/17/12 - 06:19 am
Sounds like to me that Mr.

Sounds like to me that Mr. Wood needs to go on a 5 - 10 retreat as a part of his physical therapy.

Martinez
Martinez 03/17/12 - 07:53 am
I find this interesting as I

I find this interesting as I thought domestic violence laws allowed police to press charges even if the victim didn't want to, as long as the police could positively recognize injuries. If a hole in your mid-section isn't an injury, I wonder what is? If nothing else, I think the police need to figure out who shot him and why. Could be a simple accident, upset partner, drug deal gone bad etc.

TNTHOMSON
TNTHOMSON 03/17/12 - 09:08 am
Did the taxpayer pick up this

Did the taxpayer pick up this medical bill?

If so, seems to me someone -- other than the taxpayer -- should be liable
for the 'damages' if drugs, domestic violence or a crime was involved.

twolane
twolane 03/17/12 - 09:36 am
guess he is gonna take

guess he is gonna take justice into his own hands you will be seeing this idiot up on murder charges

Haki
Haki 03/17/12 - 01:58 pm
Did the taxpayer pick up the

Did the taxpayer pick up the medical bill? He should be compelled to cooperate. You guys are funny to me! Pure comedy at its finest. GA 48th & SC 50th in SAT scores. If we could only direct some of this negative energy into something positive.

Pu239
Pu239 03/17/12 - 02:19 pm
Using comedic poster

Using comedic poster logic...it would appear the "victim" scored a .380 or maybe a full 9mm!

Martinez
Martinez 03/17/12 - 02:59 pm
Maybe I am missing something

Maybe I am missing something but there is no mention of whether or not he has insurance in this article. Why are we assuming he is uninsured?

twolane
twolane 03/17/12 - 04:08 pm
the reason we figure he has

the reason we figure he has no insurance because it usually takes a responsible citizen...and a responsible citizen is gonna want the person that almost killed him arrested......this is more of that thug type mentality or he was involved in something illegal and thats how he got shot..

fatboyhog
1948
fatboyhog 03/17/12 - 05:26 pm
Martinez, you assume it's a

Martinez, you assume it's a domestic. And even if it is, and the victim isn't cooperating, the other party hasn't called to report, and there is no evidence as to what actually happened, what do you want the police to investigate? I'm quite sure if they were given a specific address where this incident occurred, they would have gone to check it out. If this happened in the street, not at a specific residence, there are no witnesses, and the victim REFUSES to cooperate, what do you expect the police to do? All the Sheriff's Office can do is make sure that no one else was hurt or that this guy wasn't shot during a burglary or theft. Outside of that, why should they waste their resources investigating this?

raul
raul 03/17/12 - 06:42 pm
@fatboyhog. Couldn't he be

@fatboyhog. Couldn't he be charged with obstruction of justice? I know he doesn't have to incriminate himself, but until it reached that point he doesn't have the obligation to respond to questions? Just asking.

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/17/12 - 07:36 pm
I was wondering the same

I was wondering the same thing raul.