4 Lakeside baseball players suspended

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:00 AM
Last updated 3:10 PM

Four Lakeside High School baseball players were suspended this week for allegations that they drank alcohol on a school bus.

The incident occurred Friday or Saturday as the varsity team traveled home from a late game against South Effingham County, according to a Columbia County Sheriff’s Office report.

“As the students were exiting the bus and leaving at 1:30 in the morning (Saturday), they discovered that someone had gotten sick,” Lakeside High Principal Steven Rhodes said. “The next day, after some kids came forward, they realized that alcohol was involved.”

Coaches uncovered the incident when they questioned players as to why no one told them that a player had vomited, the incident report said.

Rhodes said the students were suspended and, as a consequence, were kicked off the team.

When the students go before a school system hearing officer next week, Rhodes said he is recommending long-term suspension.

“Hopefully, this will be a learning experience for them that there are consequences to their actions,” he said.

Lakeside Assistant Principal Tim Reeve contacted the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office on Tuesday.

Reeve told authorities that a coach instructed the team not to bring food or drink onto the new bus, according to the incident report.

Sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said in an e-mail that the incident is under investigation.

“The team opened with such a prosperous season with six wins,” Rhodes said. “They had done extremely well, so this certainly is a disappointment to all of us when students are involved in misconduct.”

blues550
blues550 03/14/12 - 11:34 am
And this is exactly what

And this is exactly what happens when you let developments like Magnolia Trace get built. What? It isn't built yet? Nobody is living there? Oh! Never mind......

csraguy
csraguy 03/14/12 - 12:03 pm
Good acountibility actions by

Good acountibility actions by the Lakeside administration and coaches.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 03/14/12 - 12:05 pm
(C)sraguy, Yes, sir. What a

(C)sraguy,

Yes, sir.

What a difference sixteen years and a different superintendency make.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/14/12 - 12:05 pm
As I said yesterday...waiting

As I said yesterday...waiting until Tuesday morning to notify the CCSD was at least 24 hours too long, if not 36 hours. If those boys had a stash of hooch, and used it Saturday night for more mischief...how would that have been?

WHY do CC school officials wait...? Why? (Has to be the 20th time I have asked the same question over the years)

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/14/12 - 12:07 pm
Oh...and the boys not only

Oh...and the boys not only deserve to be punished for the alcohol, how dumb was it to leave the mess there for someone else to clean up?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/12 - 12:11 pm
Y'all leave the Lakeside

Y'all leave the Lakeside baseball team alone. It's provided me with the most exciting times of my life as a spectator. Run laps until you do some real puking is the way to handle it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/12 - 12:12 pm
I know a couple of past

I know a couple of past Columbia County coaches who would have handled it differently. Kick 4 players off a great team? Nope.

happychimer
happychimer 03/14/12 - 12:16 pm
Honesty always is the best

Honesty always is the best way to go.Always

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/12 - 12:22 pm
Coaches can punish kids far

Coaches can punish kids far more than principals, the judicial system or even their parents. They can do it physically with exercise far beyond what most of us would do and emotionally in a way only a player can understand. Anyway, a sad situation.

wise ole man
wise ole man 03/14/12 - 12:26 pm
Riverman- I've got one for

Riverman- I've got one for you-2 players different decades apart get kicked off teams at the same high school in CC- one for drugs other for not following team rules- both withdraw from said hs and end up at the same high school- both get in trouble at new high school- 1 gets kicked off other serves time at CCAS. One gets pro contract but is in continuous trouble and gets kicked off pro team and the other gets s scholarship but is now in jail for robbery! Double standard or do we have coaches with only winning on their mind?

itsanotherday1
41950
itsanotherday1 03/14/12 - 12:27 pm
Yep RM, this seems a little

Yep RM, this seems a little extreme to me. With all of the crap going on in schools today this punishment doesn't seem proportional to the offense.

csrawill
csrawill 03/14/12 - 12:32 pm
Good Job to Lakeside for

Good Job to Lakeside for this! Lakeside has taken and will take zero-tolerance very seriously. @austin I think the coaches didn't find out til the school week. I don't think the entire baseball team knew that those kids were drinking on the bus and that coming forward was the four kids telling the rest of the students on the team what they did but didn't tell the coaches. I was a student at lakeside who graduated from there in the last three years and I knew people who drank and smoked at lakeside but no one ever told on them to the administration as it's the unwritten rule of students to not rat out another student unless you have the possibility of getting heavy consequences.

urright
urright 03/14/12 - 12:33 pm
Riverman--what you are

Riverman--what you are implying would also cause a problem. What the kids did was illegal and against school policy.
I'm glad the kids are being held responsible for their actions. Playing ball doesn't make them immunne to consequences. They knew the rules and blatantly violated them. Good move, coach.

csrawill
csrawill 03/14/12 - 12:39 pm
For everyones information, I

For everyones information, I never smoked or drank on school property. I did it under the supervision of my parents at home when I was over 18 so I wouldn't be breaking the law but some students just have be "cool" and drink at school or show up high or drunk. I think it was just stupid and show how much they are going to fail in their adult lives.

whyme
whyme 03/14/12 - 12:41 pm
It's not too extreme and

It's not too extreme and that's been the problem. I understand that there has been inconsistency in addressing various violations in sports and other areas of school activity, and that's wrong also. However, too many parents think that it's ok for their kids to have a little drink now and then, especially if they're "good kids", they're from "good families", they're doing it among themselves rather than with the low income families with whom they wouldn't affiliate, and of course there's the thought that they used to do it and it's just one of those things teens do. Recently this paper noted a handful of "good kids" who were identified as using alcohol at someone's home underage. I recognized some of those names as being top students-consequences? I wonder...after all, they were caught making a bad choice (might have been going on before if they hadn't) and what's the deal?

Here's the deal. It's illegal. (and yes, folks break the law all the time when they speed, fail to use turn signals, etc. Not what we're talking about!) Whoever supplied it or allowed it to be so freely obtained from their home should be held accountable. As long as we continue to minimize inappropriate social behavior for whatever reason, we will continue to raise children who may or may not ever get the concepts of respect, honesty, self-awareness, and common sense. Instead they will add to the population who think these choices are just a rite of passage, actions harmless to themselves and others, and the entitlement that is often a part of this.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/12 - 12:42 pm
Well, sure, this is a no-win

Well, sure, this is a no-win argument for me. One of the few I'll admit to. I'm saying generally speaking high school athletes are better behaved and superior students. If they have gotten in trouble they usually don't make the team. A coach will kick them off the team quickly without having to worry about rules and laws...if they deserve it.

Guys, I just love Lakeside baseball. This hurts to lose 4 good players. Do we see Mark Richt kicking players off the team for drinking or does he find other ways to handle it? Some of them are under 21, too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/12 - 12:45 pm
Wiseoldman, did both players

Wiseoldman, did both players get kicked out of Harlem? If so I know who you mean.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 03/14/12 - 01:14 pm
Since under aged drinking is

Since under aged drinking is a grave offense, this punishment is totally appropriate. Kids surely do not need to learn in high school that they are "above the law" just because they are part of a good team. If so, then they would be imitating the big league players who get cart blanche when they behave badly and just get a slap on the hand. Plus, it is possible that some of these kids are already driving age, which means they could have gotten off the bus and then into their cars to drive home. And then we would have read in the headlines about another wreck caused by drunk drivers. Good job Lakeside for holding kids accountable for bad behavior. Someone has to teach them the rules.

allrise
allrise 03/14/12 - 01:15 pm
River, You lost any

River, You lost any credibility when you referred to Lakeside as a "great" team. They haven't beaten anyone with a winning record yet and have lost to Harlem and had to rally for 4 runs in the seventh to beat Grovetown. They will get trounced by Greenbrier (as usual) & will probably lose to Evans as well with or without the 4 drunks. If you want to follow good high school baseball , head over to Riverwood Plantation (it's even named after you) & watch Greenbrier , a program that's won 5 state titles in only 15 years of existence and a total of 9 final four appearances in those 15 years

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/12 - 01:20 pm
I've sat and watched

I've sat and watched Greenbrier win a state championship against Marist with that great team. They've had lots of success and I'm proud of any Columbia County team. Lakeside, has only had a few really good teams, but that doesn't keep me from pulling for them. If we beat y'all this year, it would be sweet though.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/14/12 - 01:40 pm
After the CRG, the CRG

After the CRG, the CRG copycat, two bomb threats, and now this; the next few months will not be a good time to misbehave in Columbia County schools.

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 03/14/12 - 01:52 pm
Once again, a mistake by the

Once again, a mistake by the coaching staff. My staff and I took turns sitting in the BACK of the bus! This is similar to the CRG group...lack of supervision. Kids are going to push the boundaries it is up to a vigilant staff to see they do not do so on school time/property.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 03/14/12 - 03:36 pm
Chew tobacco, spit, cuss,

Chew tobacco, spit, cuss, drink and vomit.

We be ballplayers.............

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/14/12 - 05:09 pm
csrawill, are you trying to

csrawill, are you trying to be funny or serious? Your comment about Lakeside always taking a zero-tolerance approach? Well, maybe you're just uninformed. I've got friends and family who have kids that go to Lakeside and each has told me how bad the drinking and drug problem is at Lakeside..and they've said that the problems ARE known by the admin. They also tell me that it depends on who you are and what you have that determines if you get in trouble or not. But, you know, honestly, that's probably true at every school....I mean, it's true in adult-life, right? And to Mr. Thackeray....you, sir, are RIGHT. It just makes good common sense to have the coaches/teachers/chaperones sit all over the busses, because ALL students are kids and are prone to make immature decisions.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/12 - 05:14 pm
Once again, if anything

Once again, if anything happens at Lakeside it will end up with demands for the death penalty. Wait and see who can scream kill them the loudest. It's almost funny.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/12 - 05:16 pm
Why don't you radio people

Why don't you radio people and other negative commenters go find a Cub Scout who took matches on a camping trip or something?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/14/12 - 05:18 pm
Did a North Augusta coach

Did a North Augusta coach give beer to his players a few years ago?

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/14/12 - 06:02 pm
As I emphasized throughout

As I emphasized throughout the afternoon, I have a far bigger issue with the two and a half day delay in notifying the Sheriff's office about this, than the drinkers themselves. They have the excuse of being young and reckless...the administrators who keep-keep-keep stepping in it have no such explanation.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 03/14/12 - 07:38 pm
Youth is no excuse for

Youth is no excuse for recklessness.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 03/14/12 - 07:38 pm
Youth is no excuse for

Youth is no excuse for recklessness.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.