Paugh's bike delivered to Augusta Museum of History

With few words and wet eyes, members of the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office delivered Deputy James D. Paugh’s motorcycle to a new home at the Augusta Museum of History on Friday morning.

Back | Next
Paugh's father, Wayne, watches Bailey finish wiping down his son's motorcycle. The bike is on loan from the sheriff's office.  SARA CALDWELL/STAFF
SARA CALDWELL/STAFF

A short police motorcade escorted the slain officer’s motorcycle to the museum, where family members and his closest buddies from the police squad parted ways with the bike.

Paugh was fatally shot Oct. 23 when he stopped to investigate a suspicious vehicle.

The Harley-Davidson was unloaded from a trailer outside the museum’s front doors then gently rolled through the building’s atrium and to the gallery, where it will become part of a new exhibit on local law enforcement history.

Deputy Shane Bailey polished the motorcycle with a white cloth. He had spent two full days cleaning his close friend’s bike before his friend’s funeral and one day preparing it for the museum. Paugh’s father, Wayne Paugh, gave the motorcycle a final rubdown.

“What happened to J.D. is just part of history now,” said his older brother Bobby Paugh, who had not seen the bike since the October funeral. “I can’t imagine that anyone else would want to ride it.”

Sheriff’s officials considered displaying the motorcycle at the law enforcement center but knew the museum could preserve it better, Capt. Scott Gay said.

Whim
Whim 03/10/12 - 12:26 am
We miss you J.D.

We miss you J.D.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/12 - 04:27 am
This mans name will always

This mans name will always stand out in my memory....not just because of the news articles but from the comments from people who really knew him...RIP..
I'm sure some are living today because of your actions.

Bonk
Bonk 03/10/12 - 08:54 am
From all that I've

From all that I've read/heard--this was an amazing human being. I tip my cap to all those in law enforcement who serve us for very little pay (which should be corrected I might add)

IsAnyoneAlwaysRight
IsAnyoneAlwaysRight 03/10/12 - 09:43 am
Give me a break.....What

Give me a break.....What happened was tragic; but the man was far from how he is being portrayed. Guess all humans have flaws.

lsmith
lsmith 03/10/12 - 12:09 pm
IsAnyoneAlwaysRight: JD

IsAnyoneAlwaysRight: JD Paugh,
in life was everything he's been portrayed. Why do you suppose so many thousands of Augustans mourned the loss of this citizen on patrol? You think they just got caught up in the moment? NO! It's obvious you didn't know the man and pretty much stand alone in your disrepecting opinion. Like you said all humans have flaws, and yours is being shamefully displayed here.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/10/12 - 12:10 pm
IsAnyoneAlwaysRight, you need

IsAnyoneAlwaysRight, you need to think about that post. He was killed in the line of duty protecting us. That's what this is about. Sure he was human, but that does not detract from him giving his life as a deputy. There's no reason to be negative here.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/10/12 - 12:13 pm
Where is the post by Ismith?

Where is the post by Ismith? Dang, the posts I think should be pulled stay up and those that should stay up go away. Give me the keys to this thing and let me run it.

Whim
Whim 03/10/12 - 03:00 pm
Isanyonealwaysright, I'm

Isanyonealwaysright, I'm sorry you feel that way about JD. I worked side by side with him for many years, we worked the night shift together and then together on motors for almost ten years. I disagree with you. He was every bit the man he is being portrayed. Sure he wasn't perfect, as all of us aren't. The only perfect person I know of died more than 2000 years ago. But he was a great person, loved his job and would go out of his way to help someone. He died doing just that. He was OFF duty, going home from duty at the fair when he saw that car off the road. Most deputies would have passed it by and went home. But not JD, he stopped, and paid for it with is life. JD wasn't the most polished person we had, but all the more reason we loved him. We were lucky to have him, his kindness, and dedication to his job. If you feel the need to malign someone on this department, then I'm here, feel free. But please let my brother rest in peace.

IsAnyoneAlwaysRight
IsAnyoneAlwaysRight 03/11/12 - 02:32 pm
ok

ok

WTFH
WTFH 03/10/12 - 11:58 pm
First of all RIP JD. Second,

First of all RIP JD. Second, his motorcycle does not belong in a museum. What happened to all of the other officers that died in Augusta or what will happen to all others in the future? The city should place it on a "temporary" display in one of our government buildings.

I feel that the museum is struggling and they are doing anything to draw people to the museum. I think that is tacky and cheap. On another note, the museum is starting to stray away from their mission. Grasping at anything to draw visitors: a) musical/entertainment people from Augusta? That's something a small town museum does. b) I can understand a Master's exhibit, but a history of Augusta's golf courses? An exhibit on the history of golf? Desperate measures...JD's bike?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/11/12 - 07:41 am
Again, you should pick the

Again, you should pick the right venue or article to express certain opinions. This article shouldn't be about that.