12-year-old charged in bomb threat at Columbia Middle School

Girl, 12, is accused at Columbia Middle

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:18 PM
Last updated 8:42 PM

Columbia County authorities arrested a 12-year-old girl Friday in connection with a bomb threat found in a Columbia Middle School bathroom stall.

The girl was charged with making terroristic threats or acts and disrupting a public school, both felonies, Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said.

At a detention hearing Friday, Juvenile Court Judge Doug Flanagan ordered the girl to be booked into the Columbia County Detention Center, then released to her parents. She is not allowed to attend any Columbia County school until a tribunal hearing.

The note was found on the wall of a girls’ stall by school officials about 2:30 p.m. Thursday. The note insinuated its author was “going to blow up the school,” Morris said.

The note was written in pencil in small handwriting, Columbia Middle Principal Steven Cum­mings said Thursday.

“During our investigation, we received a tip,” Morris said of how investigators identified the girl. Video surveillance footage also helped, he said.

Cummings said Thursday that the pupil would be immediately suspended and then face expulsion before the school system hearing officer.

A threatening note was also found inside an Evans High School girls’ bathroom stall last week. That note alluded to a school shooting.

scoobynews
scoobynews 03/09/12 - 05:40 pm
Good! Crack down on these

Good! Crack down on these kids who think it is funny to disrupt school. When I was in school we never had such foolishness.

crackerjack
crackerjack 03/09/12 - 08:03 pm
I'm sure the Parent(s) are

I'm sure the Parent(s) are devastated over their child doing this. But one of these misguided youngsters need to be made an example of, hopefully to deter the copycats. Unfortunately her peers will probably never know what her sentence was.

yakirz
yakirz 03/09/12 - 10:16 pm
Or maybe we could, I don't

Or maybe we could, I don't know, find out what's causing a 12-year old girl to do this? No, that's too much like thinking. Let's just say society is innocent and this girl is evil, and be done with her.

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 03/09/12 - 11:34 pm
Our school had a sign in each

Our school had a sign in each stall that read: "if you are sick, go see a doctor but don't write on these walls". I remember right under one of those someone scribed: "attention, please don't throw tooth picks in the toilet, these school crabs can pole vault".

tanbaby
tanbaby 03/10/12 - 08:49 am
12 yrs old??? really?????

12 yrs old??? really????? what's going to happen when she actually grows up????

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/10/12 - 08:54 am
We aren't going to have any

We aren't going to have any 12 year olds left in regular county schools before long.

mangum
mangum 03/10/12 - 09:23 am
need to go back to the old

need to go back to the old ways,, child ( 12 is a child) acts out, parents bust B**t, sure glad i dont have to raise any kids now, how are you suppose to discipline them , and dont say put them in the corner, it aint working, some children are out of control, you can see it everywhere, teenagers shooting at each other, now these parents have to let the state correct their child, and that is sooooooooooooo wrong!!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 03/10/12 - 09:37 am
Riverman, it's how humans

Riverman, it's how humans react, swinging from the left to the right; reacting rathering than responding. Hopefully, they will find some balance. How does the tribunal discipline program work? Who is in charge of it?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/10/12 - 09:42 am
Willow, I'm not sure, but I

Willow, I'm not sure, but I do recall they made it tougher a few years ago somehow. They felt some of the punishment being given was too lenient.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 03/10/12 - 09:49 am
@ mangum, said ,"now these

@ mangum, said ,"now these parents have to let the state correct their child, and that is sooooooooooooo wrong!!"

Truer words were never spoken. If we don't learn from our parents and other proper authority over us, such as the school, then the LAW must be our teacher. I've told mine since the age of 2, "Children who don't mind their parents end up in J A I L. If you aren't smart enough to learn from your parents, then the law must be your teacher."

It's true and Jesus told us so through the Apostle Paul. What's wrong in homes and the schools, is the lack of a good foundation of right teachings.

avidreader
avidreader 03/10/12 - 10:19 am
I often read these "back in

I often read these "back in my day" comments and I wonder if nare-do-well, malicious children ever existed. Of course they did. I will admit that two parent families were the norm instead of the exception, but kids did studpid things, even in "my day" -- the late sixties, early seventies. Three fun-seeking high-schoolers burned down the library at Butler High School in '69 (or there abouts). And please note: The Lumpkin Road area back then was composed of white, middle-class families with a strong sense of community.

Overall, things were different back then, but we still had to deal with some screwed up kids.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 03/10/12 - 10:32 am
Back in 2000 my (then) 13

Back in 2000 my (then) 13 year old son was falsely accused of making a bomb threat by the Richmond County School System. IMO, an overzealous vice principal went nuts and blew the whole thing out of proportion. There are times that zero-tolerance policies can cause more problems than the ones that they supposedly solve. Here are some of the details: http://www.jfw-melas.net/bully-gate.html

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 03/10/12 - 10:49 am
Casting Fool, I read your

Casting Fool, I read your stuff. Your son will never forget this incident, but I believe what will stand out the most, is your unconditional love and support of him. This, I would also give to mine, whether innocent or guilty. We can and should support our kids and model for them how to handle difficult circumstances in life even when they are in the wrong. We just have to be very careful not to get in the way of what they are to learn; by attempting to remove the consequences, because if we do, they will have to repeat the experience on a more costly level.

Thanks so much for sharing this. And you are right, God is always so good.

Bonkk
Bonkk 03/10/12 - 11:06 am
I say throw her in jail for

I say throw her in jail for the rest of her life.. That's what Georgia is all about--locking up little kids

Bonkk
Bonkk 03/10/12 - 11:13 am
Casting fool: just read your

Casting fool: just read your link--all I can say is WOW!! It is true that the great state of Georgia sends more people to jail that any other state. I'm beginning to think that maybe the people in charge here have really small sexual organs--just a thought.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 03/13/12 - 10:33 pm
Thank you, Willow. That day,

Thank you, Willow. That day, when the vice principal called, I knew that something was wrong (other than possibly the charge against my son!) from the manner in which she spoke to me. So I made up my mind that no matter what the case, I was going into it supporting my son. Either he'd been really stupid, or he was being railroaded.

When I walked into the room where he was being held, I put my hand on his shoulder and told him that I was on his side no matter how things went. You could have almost felt the relief that radiated from his face.

The ironic thing is that I was told by someone involved in the issue that it would have been far less trouble for my son had he just slugged the bully rather than used the words that were twisted into the charge of a bomb threat. Hitting him would have only generated a three day suspension.

Frankly, we should have sued the RCBE, specifically including the vice principal in the suit. It was her actions and (IMO) mishandling of the situation that lead to my son's arrest. I can't begin to describe how frantic and leaning towards vigilanteism that her state of mind, manner, and actions appeared to be to me.

There were so many discrepancies. She had all of the student "witnesses" in the same room at the same time writing down their statements. One of the witnesses was my son's best friend. When he got home that day he told his mother than he'd lied about what my son has said. His mother told me that when she called the vice principal and told her this, the vice principal told her that it didn't matter and would not make a difference. When the bus driver recanted her original statement and correctly reported what she's heard and seen, the new statement wasn't included in the paperwork that was turned in. That one fact alone could have brought the whole situation to a screeching halt.

When I showed up for the tribunal, I saw the vice principal leaving the building, driving off in her vehicle. IMO, I'm guessing that they didn't want her being cross examined.

What saved my son's backside was Marion Barnes' handling of the tribunal. Just one of the things that he did was he asked me if I wanted to interview the witnesses individually or all together, and choosing to do it individually allowed them to hang themselves before the tribunal.

Which they all did, except for my son's friend who finally had his chance to tell the truth. I was so proud of the way that my son conducted himself and gave his testimony during the tribunal. Pretty awesome for a 13 year old.

I really should have sued the RCBE and the vice principal. I regret not doing that now. If for no other reason than to get the vice principal out of the school system so that she couldn't do this to another student.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 03/10/12 - 12:04 pm
Waiting on the moderators to

Waiting on the moderators to approve my post...

YeCats
YeCats 03/10/12 - 02:43 pm
The difference between now

The difference between now and "back then" is the super informational highway. Back in the depression days,while men were jumping out of buildings, that guy plowing his mule in Mississippi, didn't have some news person telling him what he already knew. Its bad out here folks.
I agree with Willow, let the law be their teacher.

scoobynews
scoobynews 03/10/12 - 03:35 pm
It is easy to make the

It is easy to make the assumption that schools are being too tough involving the legal system but when it is YOUR kid standing outside in the rain on a cold day rather than being inside a warm classroom then you would be singing a different tune. We had this happen several times last year and it had gotten out of hand. You have to make examples out of some kids in order for them to realize this is not a joke. Other kids (usually about 900 of them) are losing instruction, standing outside in whatever weather there is that day, and then when they return they are so hyped up from being outside that learning for the rest of the day is a challenge.

copperhead
copperhead 03/10/12 - 08:26 pm
This poor child is a victim!

This poor child is a victim! She should have her ipod taken for a day and given a one hour timeout to contemplate what she has done. Problem solved.

KSL
KSL 03/10/12 - 11:11 pm
LOL, copper. She needs

LOL, copper. She needs serious envolvement and meaningful punishment, especially if a lot of disruption and law enforcement effort was envolved. And it's time parents started being responsible for lax parenting.. Not saying these parents should be held responsible. I'm speakings from past experience. But I gaurantee you, we parents were held responsible. Not that we were specifically held responsible. We actually had no need of that. Our boys knew how to behave.

It is destressing to me that a 4 year old who has a better lunch than the school provided is terrorized by our government, but this 12 year old girl is handled with kid gloves. At 12 iwas babysitting for my cousins' 4 children, under 8.

KSL
KSL 03/10/12 - 09:27 pm
Wow, I was a12 year old

Wow, I was a12 year old responsible for taking care of young cousins aged 2 to 7. This problem child was making a bomb threat in her middle school. Folks,we have a serious problem with child rearing inthis country.

KSL
KSL 03/10/12 - 09:30 pm
And that statement is not

And that statement is not directed at the parents. I believe the schools have been forced into being complicit in this.

saltine
saltine 03/26/12 - 07:01 pm
every kid on my street ,got a

every kid on my street ,got a "whoppin".it was handled @school,then again ,when we got home

Grad rates show improvement by local school systems

Graduation rates in both Richmond and Columbia counties followed the statewide trend of slow and steady increases in 2014, although progress in individual schools varied greatly.