Augusta woman jailed in fatal crash

Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:28 PM
Last updated 4:56 PM

A 33-year-old woman was arrested Thursday in connection with the death of a motorcycle driver one week earlier.

Toni Lorraine Akiti was charged with misdemeanor homicide by vehicle and failure to yield while turning left.

The March 1 incident occurred at Gordon Highway and North Leg Road at 5:36 p.m. Akiti was making a left turn to travel east on Gordon Highway when she collided with Moises Santiago-Rodriguez, who was driving a silver 2003 Suzuki motorcycle.

Santiago-Rodriguez, 24, was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 7:09 p.m. that day.

tanbaby
tanbaby 03/08/12 - 04:54 pm
looks pretty happy with

looks pretty happy with herself.....

Tots
Tots 03/08/12 - 06:26 pm
I'm very sure i wouldn't be

I'm very sure i wouldn't be smiling if i was being booked for a misdemeanor homicide...

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/08/12 - 07:26 pm
The actions of 1964 and 1965

The actions of 1964 and 1965 in congress led to this smugness.

LcolonPR
LcolonPR 03/08/12 - 10:35 pm
As a cousin of Moises I find

As a cousin of Moises I find very disrespectful of this lady smile like nothing happened, I will want to see her smiley face when she goes to prison,

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 03/08/12 - 11:18 pm
This might not be her current

This might not be her current mug-shot....

juantez
juantez 03/08/12 - 11:30 pm
A man died and the only thing

A man died and the only thing you all can find to post comments about is her smile..Get A Life

KSL
KSL 03/08/12 - 11:47 pm
After all, we just read a lot

After all, we just read a lot of comments about the lawyer's former wife's first booking shot and her most recent. You never know when your booking shot is going to be important going forward.

cozzster
cozzster 03/09/12 - 02:54 am
"failed to yield while

"failed to yield while turning left."

Can't count the number of times I saw this while in GA. Is this not taught in driver's ed down there?

avidreader
avidreader 03/09/12 - 06:44 am
Were alcohol or drugs

Were alcohol or drugs involved? People usually are not booked into the jail because they had an accident (even with a fatality involved), unless it's a DUI. I'm curious!!

Boudreaux
Boudreaux 03/09/12 - 06:54 am
If you make a mistake that

If you make a mistake that costs someone their life, be it dui, texting, putting on make-up or just not paying attention, the result is the same. Shouldn't the punishment be?

BBSouth
BBSouth 03/09/12 - 07:24 am
Why is she smiling? She

Why is she smiling? She killed someone, she took someone's son, husband, father, brother and she has the nerve to smile like she's just one the lottery. I hope they throw the book at her. She also had her children in the car when the acciendt happened. I wonder if she would be smiling so wide if one of them had gotten hurt. Prayers to Santiago-Rodriguez family.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 03/09/12 - 09:43 am
I ride a motorcycle I also

I ride a motorcycle I also take that way home sometimes from downtown, that could have been me that got hit. Prayers to the riders family. Also that smile I hope somebody wipes that smile from her face.

allhans
allhans 03/09/12 - 12:05 pm
Some drivers totally dislike

Some drivers totally dislike sharing the roads. It's like - what are you doing barring my way? I'm not stopping for a little thing like that.

belle
belle 03/09/12 - 10:55 am
Get a grip folks, she has had

Get a grip folks, she has had a week to grieve this incident so she should no longer be sobbing continuously and you have no idea what was being said to her while the photo was taken. I am sure they were trying to be kind to her since she is not a malicious person but someone who made a bad decision in a split second that ended tragically.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/09/12 - 11:16 am
Come on folks. You don't even

Come on folks. You don't even know if that is her booking photo; it could be a DL photo. I'm sure she is not feeling warm and fuzzy for being responsible for the death of another. It was a careless accident, but an accident nonetheless.

Edward1968
Edward1968 03/09/12 - 11:28 am
That is her booking photo; I

That is her booking photo; I checked on it just now.

cianciolj
cianciolj 03/09/12 - 03:17 pm
Why is she smiling? I hope

Why is she smiling? I hope they throw the book at her. She also had her children in the car when the acciendt happened. Prayers to Santiago-Rodriguez family. I also feel for motorcycle riders, they need to make an example of her.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/09/12 - 04:19 pm
Boudreaux those you listed

Boudreaux those you listed arent a mistake. You dont dribe down the road and oops, drunk out of nowhere, didnt know that icecream cone had half a bottle of liquor, phone pops in hand and bam, I was texting, had no control!! Those arent mistakes. You knew the danger and did it anyway. Not the same as a bug flew in my eye, sun reflection temporarily blinded me because I wasnt wearing my shades, misjudged the room or time you had. Thats a mistake. The others are premeditated and should be murder IMO

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/09/12 - 04:29 pm
I wonder as avid reader does,

I wonder as avid reader does, but also if thats the reason for the grin.

allhans
allhans 03/09/12 - 04:39 pm
"misdemeanor homicide by

"misdemeanor homicide by vehicle " Shouldn't it be a felony?

Jessica220
Jessica220 04/07/12 - 02:55 pm
This is my cousin and this

This is my cousin and this woman disgusts me because it seems like she doesn't have any remorse for what she did. We know obviously she didn't mean to kill him that is why it is an accident but she didn't even say sorry......So I hope she pays for what she did to our family. I love you Junie....Rest in Peace.....

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...