North Carolina man charged with drug trafficking after I-20 traffic stop

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:29 PM
Last updated 6:43 PM

Columbia County sheriff’s deputies charged a North Carolina man with drug trafficking Tuesday after he was pulled over for not using his turning signal to change lanes on Interstate 20.

Michael Laverne Evans, 33, of the 100 block of Lightwood Knott Road, had nearly 15 pounds of marijuana inside his white Ford Expedition when he was stopped at about 6:15 p.m. near the Wheeler Road exit on I-20, according to a sheriff’s office incident report.

The deputy searched Evans’ vehicle after smelling a strong odor of marijuana as he walked up to the SUV.

In addition to marijuana, a Black & Mild cigar package, two prescriptions and eight ounces of an unknown purple liquid were found in the vehicle. The purple liquid was sent to the crime lab for analysis.

Marijuana possession of more than an ounce is considered a felony, sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said.

A person is charged with trafficking if they have 10 pounds of marijuana or more, Morris said.

Evans was charged with trafficking marijuana and failure to signal when changing lanes. He is being held at the Columbia County Detention Center without bond.

TK3
TK3 03/07/12 - 02:13 pm
Glad the cops have time to

Glad the cops have time to stop drivers for not using signals.

unbiased_propaganda
unbiased_propaganda 03/07/12 - 05:04 pm
TK3 - I'll agree there's

TK3 - I'll agree there's probably better things cops could be doing, but it really is getting ridiculous in Augusta with people not using their blinkers. It's such a simple thing, but I'll bet barely 10% of the drivers in Augusta use their turning signals on a consistent basis....if that.

I mean honestly - is it that hard to move your hand a couple inches to use your blinker? It even turns off on its own! It's one of my pet peeves if you couldn't tell.

urright
urright 03/07/12 - 05:25 pm
That's what the po-po calls

That's what the po-po calls "probable cause." If I had 15 pounds of wacky weed in my car, I'd be sure to follow ALL the traffic laws.

TK3--Glad the cops have time to get all that pot off the streets.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 03/07/12 - 06:22 pm
TK3 - Oh, if I had to guess

TK3 - Oh, if I had to guess the car he was driving had large rims and tinted windows. The officer said he didn't use his turn signal...which he probably didn't...but it was a means to an end.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/07/12 - 06:29 pm
I'll agree 90% of drivers

I'll agree 90% of drivers don't use turn signals when changing lanes on interstates.