Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Richmond County deputy suspended for three days

Friday, March 2, 2012 5:57 PM
Last updated 7:43 PM

A Richmond County deputy was suspended for three days and put on probation for 12 months for kicking a man in the chin.

Deputy Jason Evans was responding to a call on Feb. 16 when a man became “verbally abusive” and Evans kicked him in the chin, Sheriff Ronnie Strength said.

The man was not hurt badly enough to require medical attention and Strength said Evans has not had discipline issues in the past. Evans has been on the force since 2005.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 03/02/12 - 09:00 pm
How very unfortunate!!! We

How very unfortunate!!! We need those officers - and these criminals are really pushing their buttons!!

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 03/02/12 - 09:02 pm
um, how do you kick someone

um, how do you kick someone in the chin? nevermind why- for sassing obviously.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/02/12 - 09:21 pm
We all need a good kick in

We all need a good kick in the chin now and then.

a different drum
a different drum 03/02/12 - 09:29 pm
The “High Sherriff” calls it

The “High Sherriff” calls it “verbal abuse” the “Founding Fathers” called it “free speech”.

wildman
wildman 03/02/12 - 09:33 pm
This very unfortunate, Cops

This very unfortunate, Cops live in a fish bowl but one mistake can cost them their life. This individual should have shut up and done as told. I'm sorry but these men and women put up with a lot of crap. Before you start let me say I know every profession has it's bad apples and they need to be dealt with. Evans does not sound like a bad cop, at least not since 2005. Hopefully this will be the end of it and he can move on. God Bless those in uniforms, Police, Fire Fighters, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Army, Coast Guard, etc.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 03/02/12 - 09:37 pm
wildman - you said it all!!

wildman - you said it all!! Thank you!

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/02/12 - 09:46 pm
Sheriff only has one "r". I

Sheriff only has one "r". I mean if you're going to call him out, at least spell it right.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/02/12 - 09:47 pm
A good chin kicker is hard to

A good chin kicker is hard to find. Keep Evans.

a different drum
a different drum 03/02/12 - 09:49 pm
We all live in a fish bowl.

We all live in a fish bowl. You break the law and everyone is going to know about it. Everyone has a sad story and a hard life.

a different drum
a different drum 03/02/12 - 09:51 pm
When the police office kicked

When the police office kicked the person in the chin -- the person had to be on the ground or the police office had to be in great shape.

a different drum
a different drum 03/02/12 - 09:53 pm
Willow Bailey -- Sherriff's

Willow Bailey -- Sherriff's that are judge and jury are spelled with two r's -- just kidding.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/02/12 - 10:34 pm
Hey, dd, you almost had me

Hey, dd, you almost had me for a couple of seconds:)

a different drum
a different drum 03/02/12 - 10:53 pm
Willow -- I am not a good

Willow -- I am not a good speller and I am not trying to make people angry either. I am trying to provoke thought. The sheriff is a very power person and the sheriff made this decision (which is like making a law). If you or I kicked someone in the chin because we thought they were “verbal abusive” to us – we would be locked up in jail tying to get bond and we would have to face a judge. We have a double standard here.

a different drum
a different drum 03/02/12 - 10:54 pm
The people in power always

The people in power always look after the other people in power!

a different drum
a different drum 03/02/12 - 10:59 pm
When you take away the power

When you take away the power -- this story is about an angry person kicking another person in the chin! That is it in a nut shell.

Bing0
Bing0 03/02/12 - 11:06 pm
I am generally surprised at

I am generally surprised at many of these comments.
A law enforcement officer is supposed to be a professional. There is never ever any room for an individual to be manipulated by "verbal abuse" into kicking someone in the chin. Any private citizen would not be suspended for three days. He or she would be put in jail...

a different drum
a different drum 03/02/12 - 11:14 pm
BingO -- I agree with you

BingO -- I agree with you 100% I am surprised the Sheriff would make a statement like that. The Sheriff's actions make wonder what other things have happen that have not made it to the newspapers? Personally I think this Deputy should have been treated like any private party. Too bad we don't have video or do we?

a different drum
a different drum 03/02/12 - 11:30 pm
Please don’t get me wrong. I

Please don’t get me wrong. I believe the police have the right to defend themselves as anyone does. If they feel their life is threaten they can shoot to kill, but if someone is just shooting their mouth off (exercising their right to free speech) they are in no danger and esp. if the person is on the ground or in handcuffs.

csraguy
2094
csraguy 03/03/12 - 12:35 am
You can be a professional and

You can be a professional and make an error in judegment. Most people who make a mistake at work don't get suspended or lose their job on a first offense. Furthermore, from the short article, it appears much is missing such as he was being verbally abusive as the deputy was trying to place him under arrest and in doing so kicked him in the chin. He was not handcuffed because that would result in far more than a 3 days suspension. I agree that deputies need to be professional but at the same time, humans placed in positions of authority over individuals that abuse them continually will never handle every situation perfectly and a 3 days suspension with 12 months of probation is not letting him off lightly.

As for "Free Speech" it does not extend to the verbal abuse of others in public, especially those who we as a society have placed in these positions, nor should it.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/03/12 - 01:02 am
There is no room for that

There is no room for that kind of error when it comes to LE. These people get verbally abused daily in the line of duty, and they cannot hide behind their badges and guns to excuse unprofessional behavior. We do not live in a police state where authorities have ultimate power over the common citizen. If the loudmouth clearly broke the law, then arrest him. Kicking him in the mouth is unacceptable.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/03/12 - 01:31 am
Exactly csraguy. I remember

Exactly csraguy. I remember on judge mathis one time him telling the defendant who punched a guy in the face for calling his wife out of her name something like, we may have to pay the consequences for our actions because it is against the law, but call my wife out of her name, judge or not, I'll be paying those consequences!!!!!

Though the officer was in the wrong, hes taking his punishment like a man it seems. We don't know what was said to him, the guy may have deserved it and then some! Seems he had to say something pretty bad to get that reaction from an other wise good cop. Kind of an odd thing to do to kick a guy in the chin. Maybe the guy dared him and the officer complied?? Maybe the guy didn't say much of anything and didnt deserve it and the cop had personal issues. Who knows. lol He didn't need medical attention though so must have not been too bad. I'm surprised though most people you see in the same situation would have went to the ER and played it out for a big lawsuit. Either the guy knew he asked for it or he accepted an apology from the officer after maybe hearing of a bad situation in the officers personal life that made him feel bad for him and since he wasn't hurt, was a good enough man not to try to ruin an otherwise good cops career. =) All speculation of course, but would be nice to hear the details. =)

Bing0
Bing0 03/03/12 - 02:24 am
One more thing: What the heck

One more thing:
What the heck does "calling his wife out of her name" mean?

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/03/12 - 04:04 am
BingO, no I'm not a "chin

BingO, no I'm not a "chin kicker". I can control myself more than that, especially now that I have children... that may change later if they are ever messed with though. Haha I never once said he was justified as a law enforcement professional. But at the same time If you dare to go so far as saying something way over the line to someone, prepare to face the consequences, and the person doing the swinging must too. How would most feel lets say for example something horrid happens to someones little girl and some low life started talking in their face about she deserved and asked for it and shes only 4?? Or keeps saying they hope it happens and wont back off, Would you not kick a chin?? Chances are especially if it did happen, most people would snap. I'm just saying most words can be walked away from, some just arent going to be walked away from, so if not for the reason of just respecting a fellow human being, keep your mouth shut so your teeth dont get kicked in is all I'm saying lol So yes as an officer and a human he shouldnt have and is facing the consequences as he should, I'm just pointing out to people who think words should never provoke a physical reaction, they are right, but it can and will happen as humans can only control so much emotion when severely provoked. No one deserves to get severely injured for words, but may deserve a pop in the mouth when they go to far depending on the situation. Not that they should get said pop, as violence solves nothing, but most certainly they could deserve it!!

And the out of her name the judge was referring to was calling his wife a not so nice name for a "corner date" lol Even the Judge admitted, yeah I'd have to go to jail pay my fines, pay the guy, but those words wouldnt roll off his tongue without consequences either. lol

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/03/12 - 04:11 am
I responded BingO, but it is

I responded BingO, but it is being held for approval. lol so check back in the morning too much to rewrite, I should have copied it. lol And I did give both sides like the guy could have not said a word to deserve it, not just trying to justify an officers actions, just know what my dad and husband may have done if provoked by saying the wrong thing about their children.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/03/12 - 04:08 am
Oh and just a guess, but

Oh and just a guess, but maybe charges on both sides were dropped as part of the deal. lol

jackrussell
jackrussell 03/03/12 - 07:12 am
Or maybe the kickee made

Or maybe the kickee made reference to recently murdered officers and suggested there should be more after which the kicker, heart broken and sickened by the gruesome murders of 3 of his comrades in barely more than 3 months, temporarily lost it long enough to land one good one on said kickee.

wildman
wildman 03/03/12 - 08:06 am
Bing0, please walk in the

Bing0, please walk in the shoes of an officer for just one day. Being a police officer is not an easy job and they are not well compensated for the risk they day especially in today's world. I appreciate those that do the job, for the majority it's not about power it's about public service. You either love them or hate them, love them when you need them and not when they show up behind you with flashing blue lights. Enough said.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/03/12 - 10:17 am
We really don't need to judge

We really don't need to judge this officer as we have zero facts.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/03/12 - 11:05 am
Don't kick me in my paragraph

Don't kick me in my paragraph spelling police but I can spell sherrrif any way I want.

Bing0
Bing0 03/03/12 - 11:43 am
I am not taking the position

I am not taking the position of passing judgement on this police officer at all. Nor am I saying that his punishment did not fit the offense.
I am saying however that there is never ever a time where a suspect can say anything that warrants a violent response from any police officer.
I realize that we all want to cut this fellow some slack. Me included. But, like I said, no matter what may have been said, kicking a guy in the chin is blatantly out of line in every circumstance...