Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Evans shootout victim dies

Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012 3:47 PM
Last updated 7:51 PM

One of the men involved in a shootout in Evans on Friday has died.

Patrick Smith, 33, died around 7:10 a.m. Saturday at Medical College of Georgia Hospital, according to Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins.

His autopsy will be held at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation lab in Augusta on Monday.

The shooting occurred in the 600 block of Blanchard Road, where Smith was shot in the stomach and resident Philip Marshall, 44, was shot in the back.

Several shots were fired, said Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris, and Marshall was in serious condition Friday night.

Though the shooting occurred inside the home, Smith was found in a Chevrolet Suburban on the side of Blanchard Road. A handgun was recovered from the vehicle.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/12 - 05:17 pm
So sad to hear this...I

So sad to hear this...I understand he has a newborn baby girl.

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 02/25/12 - 05:27 pm
Another shooting in River

Another shooting in River Glen Housing Complex,( oh no) for the reader who posted comment about the new apartment complex been built for low - income. No matter where you live shooting can occur anywhere not just the Housing Projects.

donsmith1
donsmith1 02/26/12 - 03:30 am
R.I.P ...To my Lil Brother

R.I.P ...To my Lil Brother Patrick Smith..I still dnt believe that my Brother is gone!..I wish and want the truth on what happen just to get these other stories out the door..but Big Bro will miss you ..got a fresh tatt last nite for ya..love you Bro...Don.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/26/12 - 10:12 am
don, I'm sorry for your loss,

don, I'm sorry for your loss, I can't imagine the pain if it was my brother.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/26/12 - 03:48 pm
Continuing to hope for

Continuing to hope for Augustans to wake up. This affects EVERYONE and yet, don't misunderstand, I'm NOT faulting law enforcement. Law-abiding citizens, relatives of people exhibiting suspicious or criminal behavior, neighbors, friends, community leaders that become aware of these activities need to continue to do or begin to do their part, (whichever applies).

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 02/26/12 - 11:28 pm
I agree with kissofdeath, if

I agree with kissofdeath, if this was a shooting in south augusta the toxic comments would be off the screen, but since this is in "safe" Evans (Columbia County) there are very little comments for the "project" haters. The USA is the murder capitial of the western world, learn to deal people, or watch more folks die.

myparrot
myparrot 02/27/12 - 09:22 am
No matter where this

No matter where this occurred, it is a tragedy. The fiancee and baby have lost someone very important to them. The baby is just a week old and will never know her father. This is very sad. My heart goes out to the young man's family and friends. We to lost a son at 33 and a parent should not have to bury their child. May god be with you all.

farrowtrent
farrowtrent 02/27/12 - 01:38 pm
@ don: so sorry to hear about

@ don: so sorry to hear about this.

shanitralc
shanitralc 02/28/12 - 12:08 pm
I still can't believe my big

I still can't believe my big brother is gone. I feel like I'm living a nightmare...I feel lost. You was my only brother, my only sibling and I'm gonna miss you so much. I'm so glad I was able to be there by your side your last hours. I promised you I wasn't gonna leave your side and I didn't. This is really hard for me and especially your 7 kids u left behind. the little ones keep asking when are u coming back and all I can say is daddy will fly down one day with wings and scoop us all up. We was already close, but we became closer when I was diagnosed with cancer. Its hard to hold back the tears, because now I can't hear your voice when you call to check on me. Just know that your kids will be loved more and more and that we love you so much...I miss you bro!!...R.I.P.