Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Richmond County teacher accused of abusing pupils taking position in Korea

Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2012 12:10 PM
Last updated 7:25 PM

A Richmond County school teacher who was placed on administrative leave amid allegations that she grabbed a child by the neck and forced other pupils to stay in a dark bathroom is taking a teaching position in South Korea.

The federal lawsuit against Kayrie Washington-Cargill and the Richmond County school board will remain unaffected, said attorney Kevin Little, who represents Dorothea and Simon Goudeau, the plaintiffs and parents of one of the victims.

“That’s our expectation at the moment,” Little said.

Cargill’s attorney, Robert Gunn, confirmed Tuesday that Cargill was leaving the country, but declined further comment.

Cargill’s ex-husband, Corey Washington, said by e-mail that Cargill was hired as an English conversation instructor at Dongshin University, about three hours south of Seoul, South Korea. Her duties would be to teach English to university, middle school and elementary students, Washington said. He said she leaves the country Wednesday.

The lawsuit filed in December draws on an independent investigation by the school district, which found that Cargill grabbed a fourth-grader at Tobacco Road Elementary School by the neck when she couldn’t answer a math problem.

Other allegations enumerated by the investigation and repeated in the lawsuit include forgetting a child standing in the corner as punishment; causing a pupil to wet his pants when he wasn’t allowed in the bathroom; and forcing a child to eat dried mucus from her nose.

The fourth-grader named as a victim in the lawsuit was allowed to sometimes stay home and go home early from school “due to her fear and anxiety about having to see Cargill each day,” the suit states.

happychimer
happychimer 02/21/12 - 02:09 pm
She should not ever be

She should not ever be allowed near kids again.

unheard
unheard 02/21/12 - 02:57 pm
I know that these are just

I know that these are just allegations at this point, but has anyone contacted her new employer in Korea to make them aware of the lawsuit?

MartinezCitizen
MartinezCitizen 02/21/12 - 02:58 pm
"Her duties would be to each

"Her duties would be to each English to university, middle school and elementary students, Washington said." I am sure this should read that her duties are to teach...

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/21/12 - 05:16 pm
She won't have any trouble in

She won't have any trouble in Korea. Those students, of all ages, actually attend school with the intent to learn. One reason we have teachers who get in trouble for putting their hands on students is because the students need it. If their parents had put their hands on them a few times we would not have students who could pi......err......upset the Pope.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/21/12 - 05:20 pm
Dichotomy, that's what I was

Dichotomy, that's what I was thinking, too. Kids in Korea wear uniforms to school and don't say boo.

crackertroy
crackertroy 02/21/12 - 05:23 pm
dichotomy has the right view.

dichotomy has the right view. The teacher will probably make more money with better work environment pending North Korea doesn't attack South Korea for doing military drills.

inform
inform 02/21/12 - 08:06 pm
Just to Inform all that don't

Just to Inform all that don't know....The child this story is about is a well behaved, mannered, and excellent student. What a grown adult did to this child and many others is ridiculous. What a mentor. What was she showing them? I guess how to not manage their issues and perform with excellence at their job. I wonder if this was Riverman's child or maybe Dichotomy's child if they would like to send their child to school for abuse from a non relative. Our children are a product of their surroundings and the community, I'm glad most of these bloggers stay online and not in our classrooms. No person or parent should treat a child like this and she should never work with any child again. Administrators need to screen their staff and hold them accountable. She has done more damage than good.. Oh and if you were 4ft.something and this lady looks crazy at you or comments around you, you would not be able to manage day in day out either. South Korea is not going to tolerate no American bully, she will soon learn.

scoobynews
scoobynews 02/21/12 - 08:09 pm
LOL Dichotomy I am sure you

LOL Dichotomy I am sure you will get a few upset comments on that posting but I do understand were you are coming from. There are some that are so annoying that you wonder is there any discipline in that child's home. I do not advocate ever putting your hands on other people's kids but I don't spare the rod on my own either. If more parents would be parents and send their kids to school to learn these things would be unheard of.

happychimer
happychimer 02/21/12 - 09:26 pm
inform some people just don't

inform some people just don't believe that teachers will harm a child. I think my daughter was in 1st grade, she came home one day with an adult handprint on her arm, and told me the teachers aid did it. I met with the principal, and she told me they all believed my child was lying. Other kids saw what happened. I set them all straight and told them my child better not ever come home with a mark on her again, and I told them what I would do to the guilty one. The rest of the school yr they did not leave that aid alone in the class when my child was in there.

museofsatie
museofsatie 02/21/12 - 09:32 pm
"The teacher will probably

"The teacher will probably make more money with better work environment pending North Korea doesn't attack South Korea for doing military drills."

I doubt she'll make more money (if she does, it won't be much more). Most people who take these jobs teaching English in South Korea are young people, often just out of college and/or graduate school. The better schools/jobs will pay a teacher with experience, education degree, etc. around $1800 per month. The teachers usually will have rent-free housing (some of that money is taken from your salary with certain employers), but they do still have to pay for utilities and such.

As for the work environment, that all depends on the school(s), locations, and your fellow teachers and employer.

And I don't care how unruly your class gets. You don't make a kid eat their boogers. You don't deny a child bathroom access for so long that they pee their pants. You also should never put your hands around a kid's neck. I agree that better parenting needs to be done with a vast number of kids, but this teacher was hardly innocent here.

KSL
KSL 02/21/12 - 10:23 pm
I'm not reading the comments

I'm not reading the comments nor the article. But I will say this: There were few, very few children who went home with paddling having had their rear-ends concentrated on. And it was on so rare occasions I cannot speak to the number of times. I'm saying 10 or fewer over 12 years. It was a very powerful treatment and not one parents disagreed with. Note, I say "parents." I say that because those parents didn't want their kids misbehaving at school anymore than they wanted them misbehaving at home. Whatever happened? Don't ask me because I will tell you!

KSL
KSL 02/21/12 - 10:28 pm
What is this allowed to go to

What is this allowed to go to the bathroom thingy. Way back when, when I went to school, we had to go to the bathroom when it was between classes or during certain times. Is this a drug induced thing that students have to be able to go when the urge occurs? 60 years ago, we got to go during our free times. Never saw one single student who could not do that. Please enlighten me that drugs that keep children behaving like they always did before medications now have to have special extra bathroom visits on a moments notice.

Simply Lovely
Simply Lovely 02/22/12 - 12:53 am
KSL-I was always instructed

KSL-I was always instructed to walk out if my teacher wouldn't let my use the bathroom. I can remember in elementary being rushed! Our teachers would use a one minute timer! But the worse was when, I thought my cycle was coming on in the 8th grade and I raised my hand and ask to go to the rest room. I was told no. Then as I sat there I could feel it. I started to cry and finally the teacher asked what was wrong. I told her and then she did apologize but I didn't want the boys to know or anybody else to know. I just wanted to go to the bathroom. Instead, I was given a jacket and sent out to call my folks. When and if I ever have children, I will instruct them to walk out if they have to go and I will handle it. I did NOT like being forced to sit with a full bladder on numerous occasions and that is detrimental to your kidneys and bladder. I only have one set of kidneys and no natural born siblings. Also, my mother is a kidney transplant recipient of almost 19 years in April 2012.

allhans