Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man, 22, charged with carrying gun in Hephzibah neighborhood

A man carrying a gun was arrested Friday after police spotted him walking suspiciously through a front yard on Butler Manor Drive in Hephzibah.

Xavier Jamal Rickerson, 22, of the 2800 block of Brentway Drive, was charged with possession of firearm by first offender, possession of article with altered identification, and possessing or carrying a concealed weapon, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

About 1:50 p.m. Friday, a patrolling deputy said Rickerson changed the direction he was walking when the police car drove near. He began to walk faster toward the front door of a house before the officer stopped him.

Rickerson told the officer he did not live at the house and admitted to carrying weapons. He was handcuffed and the officer found a .22-caliber revolver in his pants pocket.

He was convicted in October 2009 of burglary, according to the report.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/18/12 - 04:55 am
A previously convicted

A previously convicted burglar walking around suspiciously in an area known for burglaries, and armed at that. Great job to a pro-active alert Richmond County Sheriff's Deputy. This is the exact kind of policing we need.

Let's hope our judicial system will take this previously convicted offender who has upgraded to carrying a weapon off of the streets for a good while.

Great Job RCSO and to the Deputy.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 02/18/12 - 07:54 am
By first offender? He was

By first offender? He was convicted in 2009 for burglary. Am I not understanding things or is this a first offender with a weapon?

tanbaby
tanbaby 02/18/12 - 08:49 am
nothin2show4it--maybe they

nothin2show4it--maybe they mean this is his second time of being a first offender!!!! with our judicial system, you never know......

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/18/12 - 09:18 am
Response from neighbor

Response from neighbor slamming large remote control children's model car (about 1 and a half foot square) into our fence when asked to cease doing same, "It's not your fence." Funny, we paid for it and it was our private property (not a rental home, HUD or Section 8, like my problem neighbors). Response from young male neighbor kneeling behind bushes in backyard allegedly tying his shoes after running after his "escaped" basketball (1/2 acre uphill from his backyard...yeah right) claims that he has to leave by our FRONT yard, apparently doesn't realize we know he lives behind us and is trying to mislead us, arrested by another neighbor later for stealing. Other neighbors plagued by trespassers are told by officers that despite the "No Trespassing" sign, they're going to have to prove the trespassers could READ it! Glad to hear that officer "retired" from the force under a cloud a few years back, he was past due for it, with this attitude and other incidents that indicated same. Neighbor says to come over so she can ask me something, and asks why the house next door is empty, within a couple of days the landlord comes through my gate (which is SHUT with a no trespassing sign), onto my deck, looks into my backyard and calls me up to my own deck and asks me if I've ever been on his property, I said yes, she asked me to come over and look at the neighbor's backyard from her driveway and wanted to know why he wasn't living there anymore. He told me she wanted me to stay off her property. He's trespassing on my property because he came unto it without our permission right through a shut gate and past a no trespassing sign (ON the gate) and telling me to stay off of property she had asked me to walk onto??? There are some really messed up people in this town. It's a wonder that I'm NOT one of the messed up ones, after what that neighborhood but my family and I through and the lack of help from people that I trusted, hoped and prayed could be relied on to help us. I'm praying this city turns around but it's going to take more than what has been done so far. Law enforcement can't do it alone; it needs the help of the court system and good citizenship.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/12 - 09:31 am
I'm so sorry ALeaves...no one

I'm so sorry ALeaves...no one should have to endure that mess..

COMMISH--DEKE..READ ALEAVES POST--THIS IS WHAT WE COMPLAIN ABOUT ON HERE--SHE LIVES THIS DAILY--PUT YOUR STUDIES ON THAT!!!!
YOU MAKE ME WANT TO SCREAM AT DOWNTOWN POLITICS---YOU DON'T GIVE A RATS BEHIND ABOUT REAL PROBLEMS!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/12 - 09:35 am
I know some won't even leave

I know some won't even leave the house together in the area of lumpkin rd....they are afraid the house will raided if they leave together...but let's worry about a dang ballpark!

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 02/18/12 - 01:13 pm
But.. if we build a stadium

But.. if we build a stadium downtown it will solve these problems! NOT

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/18/12 - 03:30 pm
Nothin2show4it and tanbaby,

Nothin2show4it and tanbaby, our court system will often accept a plea deal to allow for a first offender charge instead of the felony charge they deserve. in this case it appears that this criminal was arrested previously for a burglary and was given first offender status because he convinced the court he would clean up his act even though all statistics show otherwise.

Once caught with a weapon, instead of a charge of possessions of a firearm by a convicted felon, he can be charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted first offender. The charge of altering the ID typically means the gun is stolen and the serial numbers filed down.

With the major shortage or manpower Richmond County has due to the over 40 deputies cut from the budget, the furlough days for all officers and the pay cuts they have taken 3 years in a row making it difficult to fill current approved positions the best they can usually do is reactive police work - basically answer calls and take reports. However, in this case (and others) they had a vigilant officer working community policing and he did a great job or pro-active police work - more than likely stopped a burglary and maybe even saved some citizens life that day.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/18/12 - 04:02 pm
I appreciate you explaining

I appreciate you explaining how it isn't working Asitisinaug. Law enforcement personnel are over-worked, over-tired, under-paid and under-appreciated as well as being targets. Something has to be done!

Radwaste
Radwaste 02/18/12 - 05:13 pm
Something has to be

Something has to be done?

There is already a Federal law. Just enforce it.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/18/12 - 05:54 pm
Autumn, I also believe that

Autumn, I also believe that NO ONE should have to go through what you are and have gone through. From the unhelpful deputy (yes, there are bad apples and lazy individuals in every business and certainly in government employment) to the neighbors and the courts...WE, the law abiding productive members of society must come together and say "We have had enough" and get our priorities back in order.

On major start is to put and KEEP repeat offenders and violent offenders behind bars and to carry out the death penalty in a swift and efficient manner on all murderers, rapists, armed robbers, and any other violent offenders who should lose their right to be a part of our society.

Gander Mountain opens

Outdoor retailer Gander Mountain opened at 9 a.m. Tuesday at 145 Mason McKnight Jr. Parkway, across from CarMax.