Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Boy, 14, robbed at gunpoint in south Augusta store parking lot

Monday, Feb. 13, 2012 9:40 PM
Last updated 9:56 PM

A 14-year-old was robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot of Big Lots on Peach Orchard Road around 7:30 p.m. Monday, police said.

The teen told police he was walking through the parking lot when two black males approached him, one carrying a black handgun, Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Robbie Silas said.

The assailants took the boy’s cellphone and hat, and ran toward Chester Avenue.

They were described as also being in their teens, and one was wearing an orange sweatshirt.

TK3
TK3 02/13/12 - 10:20 pm
Hope the parents of those

Hope the parents of those armed thieves are ready for when their kids meet up with a "armed" would-be victim.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 02/14/12 - 02:27 am
TK3, Doubt if both assailants

TK3,

Doubt if both assailants have four parents between them. More likely is two parents neither of whom is a father.

Young males need their Dads to model and enforce "the straight and narrow."

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/12 - 06:30 am
3 headlines in todays

3 headlines in todays paper....

Boy, 14, robbed at gunpoint
Josey student arrested on weapon charge
Car shot at on Deans Bridge Road .

We have had guns in our homes for many-many years.....so what changed....
Missing parents caring for the future of their offspring.

cr
cr 02/14/12 - 08:43 am
When I retired from teaching

When I retired from teaching school three years ago, the first thing I did was get a concealed weapons permit. The trend toward violence among school-aged CHILDREN has been inching up in the last decade. In my last year's homeroom class of sixth graders, I had an armed robber and a sex offender! The armed robber went to YDC, but the sex offender stayed, and enjoyed privacy status. If a social worker had not told me (at the chance of being fired), I would not have known to keep an eye on him. I'm sure the parents would have been horrified had they known.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 02/14/12 - 09:41 am
Much, much too much focus on

Much, much too much focus on the negative here, people. That's what happens when a conservative paper like the Augusta Chronicle rules the roost. Augusta was just voted the 5th coolest place to live in the Northern Hemisphere.

So the kid lost his cell phone. Big deal. Go to the Soy Noodle House and feel good about Richmond County. The food there is deeee-lish-ussss!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/14/12 - 11:10 am
I was in Big Lots last night

I was in Big Lots last night and left there just a few minutes before 7:30. I was armed and I always put my hand on my weapon when in a parking lot, especially after dark. This could have been a whole different story. I refused to be robbed by punks, regardless of age. Pull a weapon on me and at least one of us is going to die. I would feel sorry for the parents but they should have given them some "home learning". My wife would have the insurance to console her. Regardless of what countyman says, you cannot go anywhere in Augusta at night without being in danger, especially South Augusta. The judges will not take these punks off of the street and the police cannot protect you. You are on your own. Arm yourself. A teenager with a gun will kill you just as fast, maybe faster, than an adult criminal. I'd rather kill them in a parking lot than mess up the carpet in my home.

cr
cr 02/14/12 - 11:19 am
So true, dichotomy. I am

So true, dichotomy. I am armed in the same way, and I will have no qualms about protecting myself if I am faced with the same situation. I live in a much smaller town in Georgia, and we have had three murders this week alone, not to mention burglaries and armed robberies. Our current presidential administration feels as if the "haves" should share with the "havenots," and apparently we are expected to share whatever we have with any punk on the street that feels he is capable of taking it from us. These parentless kids today have been shot so many times in video games, they don't realize the power of a real gun. I refuse to share willingly what I have worked hard for all my life and saved for my old age, which has arrived.

leebraxjr
leebraxjr 02/14/12 - 05:06 pm
cr...I do not think Obama was

cr...I do not think Obama was talking about the haves given to the have nots. There has been no changes in our culture over 500 yrs. You do not rob, cheat and steal from others for personal or any other type of gain.
These kids parents are not solely to blame for their kids behavior. It does not matter if you are a 100 yr. old adult or a 13 yr. old kid, choices are there to be made. The problem with these bad choices being made is that people feel if one person and do it so can I. The other factors that are involved is these kids want to grow to fast and they are not afraid of the concequences of their actions and feel they can get away with what they do.

cr
cr 02/14/12 - 08:35 pm
LBJ: You are correct that

LBJ: You are correct that cheating and stealing are not acceptable in our society, but some parents are teaching their kids by example that it is okay. They really do think it is okay to take what they want from others.As a retired teacher, i have seen it first hand

You are also correct also that there are no consequences to their actions, until someone gets hurt. And if you read this paper daily, you will see a growing number of kids committing violent crimes.

Kettle donations rise in 2014