Crime & Courts Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Columbia County man died from blunt force trauma, coroner says

Sunday, Feb. 12, 2012 5:11 PM
Last updated Monday, Feb. 13, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Follow Crime & courts

The Columbia County coroner has ruled the death of Theodore Crew a homicide after an autopsy performed Sunday morning.

Yvette Taylor  Special
Yvette Taylor

Coroner Vernon Collins said Crew’s cause of death was blunt force trauma, but the murder weapon was not released because the investigation is ongoing.

Crew’s roommate, Yvette Taylor, 46, was arrested in connection with his death Saturday. She is being held without bond in the Columbia County Detention Center on a murder charge, according to the jail’s Web site.

Around 8:30 a.m. Saturday, deputies responded to Taylor and Crew’s apartment in the 300 block of Applecross Drive in Martinez, where they found Crew dead in the bathroom and blood in the living room, according to an incident report.

Taylor told sheriff’s investigators that she left the apartment around 1:30 a.m. Saturday and returned about seven hours later to find Crew, 63, lying on the bathroom floor.

According to the report, Taylor said she left the apartment because Crew was speaking “foolishness.” She said she initially went to a neighbor’s apartment, but then spent the rest of the night at her mother’s apartment, which is in the same complex.

Taylor said she returned to her apartment at 8 a.m. and called 911 when she saw Crew unresponsive in the bathroom.

Collins said he was still trying to track down Crew’s next of kin, a sister in Savannah, Ga.

According to the Georgia Department of Corrections, Taylor had previously been incarcerated for involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death of her younger brother in Richmond County.

In February 1991, when she was 25, police found Taylor kneeling over her brother’s body in the kitchen. She told deputies at the time she had been fighting with him over a gun and it “accidentally” went off, according to Augusta Chronicle archives.

Her brother, Jerry Taylor, 22, had been “shot three times in the right eye,” according to a police report.

She was sentenced to 10 years, but the state’s Web site says she served from 1993 to 1996, and again from 1998 to 2002. Details on why she was incarcerated twice were not immediately available Sunday.

Comments (2) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
seenitB4 02/13/12 - 06:50 am
It went off accidentally 3

It went off accidentally 3 times.....kinda hard to do that......accidentally.

stillamazed 02/13/12 - 08:17 am
Seems like she may have some

Seems like she may have some serious anger issues and snaps easily or perhaps she just hates men... 3 years spent on a 10 year sentence, then is released? I am guessing she probably broke the terms of her probation and went back for 4 more years. Maybe this time if she is indeed guilty she will serve some serious time for killing someone.

Back to Top
Search Augusta jobs