Authorities identify Washington Road pedestrian killed Friday

Friday, Jan. 27, 2012 7:46 AM
Last updated 4:39 PM

A pedestrian who died Friday morning after trying to cross Washington Road has been identified as 73-year-old Robert Matthew Bancroft.

Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten said Bancroft was crossing from America’s Best Value Inn, 3023 Washington Road, to a bus stop on the other side of the highway when he was hit by a Ford Explorer traveling west around 6:20 a.m.

Bancroft was pronounced dead at the scene at 7:08 a.m.

Tuten said the victim’s roommate at America’s Best Value Inn said Bancroft had left to catch a bus to the methadone clinic.

The driver of the vehicle, identified as 25-year-old Jonathan Kelly, will not be charged at fault in the accident. He was issued a citation for driving with a suspended license.

Authorities continue their search for Bancroft’s family, who might live in Alabama. If anyone has any information on family of the victim, call the Richmond County Coroner’s Office at (706) 821-2382.

David Parker
David Parker 01/27/12 - 09:04 am
Should be moved from the

Should be moved from the crimes and courts category but a sad incident regardless.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 01/27/12 - 09:26 am
I remember the same thing

I remember the same thing happening many years ago when Shoneys was still open. I was at dinner there with my daughters, who were both little at the time, and an elderly couple was hit trying to cross Washington Road, killing the man. That's a bad place to try and cross the road, especially if you can't move fast. Condolences to the victim's family and friends.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 09:38 am
The story is still missing

The story is still missing the who and when, but I'm sure the reporter will fill the details in as they become available. The "this morning" is a bit vague.

I continue to be puzzled why so many people continue to jaywalk across four traffic lanes plus a suicide lane in the middle.

ll2
ll2 01/27/12 - 10:01 am
@@@

@@@

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 10:07 am
ll2 posted: That's not by

ll2 posted:

That's not by definition a "suicide lane". Suicide lanes are lanes that allow cars to be driven on as any other lane going in one direction only during one part of the day, and then the opposite direction later in the day. I don't know of anywhere in the CSRA that utilizes suicide lanes, but i could be wrong there. However, that lane on Washington Rd. you refer to is used as a turn lane.

Perhaps you edited your post, but I thought I'd bring it back up for discussion. Thank you for pointing out two different types of road and street lanes. I have seen those you describe — the ones that take traffic one way during the morning commute hours and the opposite way during afternoon commute hours. Perhaps they were the origin of the term "suicide lane," I don't know.

But I have also heard many, many people refer to the center left turn lanes as suicide lanes, also.

My original point was that there are at least five lanes in Washington Rd. where this vehicle/pedestrian collision occurred. Such crashes are not "common" there, but there have been several in the years I've lived in Augusta. I'm just surprised so many people jaywalk there.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/27/12 - 10:12 am
Little Lamb, the WRDW site

Little Lamb, the WRDW site says the accident was called in at 6:30 am. I know it's still dark then and you're right, that's a very dangerous place to try and cross.

Condolences to the family.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 10:15 am
I drive that intersection

I drive that intersection every day. It is dangerous for pedestrians. People start turning fast once the light changes. I think the pedestrians are motel guests and are going to Denny's, Starbucks and so on across the street. It was discussed a couple of years ago about putting a walk over there.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 10:24 am
The trouble with a

The trouble with a "walk-over" is that some people would still jaywalk because the walk-over would not suit their idea of convenience.

But, as always, Little Lamb has a solution: Do away with the center left turn lane (aka suicide lane) and replace it with a Jersey Barrier median running from Stevens Creek Road all the way to Warren Road (they should do away with the intersection and traffic light at Patriot Way where Rhinehart's restaurant is). Make the Jersey Barrier 5-feet high with triangular knife edges in the top to discourage climbing.

ags59
ags59 01/27/12 - 10:24 am
maybe we need a walk over

maybe we need a walk over bridge on washington rd at the hotels but people would still try to cross the road

DHL49
DHL49 01/27/12 - 10:42 am
Maybe the time has come to

Maybe the time has come to reduce the speed limit on Washington road in that area. You know, for a relatively small town, with only minor traffic problems, Augusta is gaining a reputation as a DEADLY town for cyclists and pedestrians. Can we ALL drive less aggressively, more carefully, or slower? Maybe, when we are running late, we could all just accept it, take responsibility for it and continue to keep in mind we are operating a potentially lethal machine?

LemonJello
LemonJello 01/27/12 - 10:45 am
The center lane of Washington

The center lane of Washington Road has been referred to as a "suicide lane" as far back as I can remember....early 70's. Consider it more of a term of endearment.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 10:48 am
Yeah, we all know how Augusta

Yeah, we all know how Augusta motorists always obey speed limits.

No, I'm going to modify my original suggestion up above. Run the 5-ft Jersey Barrier with knife edges all the way from Stevens Creek Rd. to Fury's Ferry Rd. with no openings for turns. Then you can make the speed limit 55 mph in the left lanes and 35 mph in the right lanes.

georgepeters
georgepeters 01/27/12 - 10:56 am
A suicide lane on a highway

A suicide lane on a highway was named years ago when there were three lanes on some highways. The middle lane was marked off in yellow but was there for a passing lane. The only problem was, no one had the right of way. They were usually on open stretches of highway, but still very dangerous. When they started putting in a turn lane, it was still called a suicide lane, since people still use it as a passing lane although this is not legal and very dangerous.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 11:08 am
Yeah, in theory these center

Yeah, in theory these center left turn lanes are supposed to be used for left turns only. But how many of you have used the lanes for "merge right" lanes? I know I have.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 01/27/12 - 11:43 am
Pedestrian traffic is an

Pedestrian traffic is an issue on Washington Road. Why anyone thinks they can just walk across at any spot is beyond me.

Reducing speed limits and enforcement would be a start as well as citing jaywalkers and encouraging the motel/hotels' to give warnings regarding the hazards upon check-in may help save some lives.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 11:54 am
Bianca Cain Johnson

Bianca Cain Johnson wrote:

Richmond County sheriff’s Capt. Scott Gay said an elderly male was attempting to cross the street from America’s Best Value Inn, 3023 Washington Road, to the Days Inn when a westbound Ford Explorer struck him.

I know I'm being a little hard on the reporters this morning, but this statement doesn't seem logical to me. I'm sure it is exactly what Captain Gay told Ms. Johnson; but it leaves me wondering how Capt. Gay knows where the victim was intending to go? It seems more likely he was either going from his hotel to a restaurant on the other side of Washington Rd., or he was going from the convenience store to his hotel on the other side of Washington Rd. Walking from hotel to hotel is a bit unlikely.

Of course, it is possible that the victim did not die immediately and actually told a deputy or emergency responder where he was coming from and where he was going.

A reporter is supposed to have a questioning attitude while on the job.

PoeticRose
PoeticRose 01/27/12 - 12:27 pm
He was not going to Days

He was not going to Days Inn.... He was going to the bus stop across the street....
I know this cause I work at the hotel that he lived at. He catches the bus every morning around the same time

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 12:36 pm
Thank you, Rose. I thought

Thank you, Rose. I thought that sounded a little snakey about walking from motel to motel. It is a sad thing about this man.

allhans
allhans 01/27/12 - 01:20 pm
So he was familiar with the

So he was familiar with the street and the traffic flow.
Such a sad thing to happen.

David Parker
David Parker 01/27/12 - 03:36 pm
"He was issued a citation for

"He was issued a citation for driving with a suspended license."

I stand corrected.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/27/12 - 03:45 pm
A citation for driving on a

A citation for driving on a suspended?? Why not arrested???? And what does the man going to a methadone clinic have to do with anything, why was it even in there????

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/27/12 - 03:51 pm
Sounds like a sad ending to a

Sounds like a sad ending to a sad life, may he rest in peace now.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 03:54 pm
Well, Bianca Cain Johnson is

Well, Bianca Cain Johnson is adding more details to the story, Stang. She's doing a good job.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/27/12 - 03:59 pm
It is possible he stepped in

It is possible he stepped in front of the car leaving the driver with little or no reaction time. That could be why he wasn't arrested.

belle
belle 01/27/12 - 04:33 pm
DHL49....I see no purpose in

DHL49....I see no purpose in lowering the speed limit on Washington when no one DOES the speed limit. It drives me crazy when I get behind someone casually driving 25 in a 45. If people would attempt to all drive the same speed the traffic flow would be much smoother.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/27/12 - 05:03 pm
Roadkill, that's what the

Roadkill, that's what the radio said, that it was dark and happened so fast the driver didn't have time to respond.

why not
why not 01/27/12 - 05:19 pm
AC, please check spelling of

AC, please check spelling of "Authorities" in the headline.

griff6035
griff6035 01/27/12 - 05:27 pm
Is the first word of her

Is the first word of her headline misspelled?

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/27/12 - 09:01 pm
Roadkill and LL, My comment

Roadkill and LL, My comment was on why he was not arrested for driving on a suspended. And why nothing for no insurance?? I'm sick of seeing people with suspended licenses and no insurance driving around all willy nilly. I know several people who went to jail for no license and insurance...what makes him so special? If they feel bad for him because of what happened...well...wouldnt have been him it happened to if he had obeyed the law and his punishment for his crime to start with. Sickening, you break the law and lose your license, you break the law again and disregard your punishment for your first crime, so you get a ticket???? Yeah, that'll teach him not to do it again....worked so well the first time didn't it!!!! That's not right!!

corgimom
corgimom 01/27/12 - 10:00 pm
I agree, how can you have an

I agree, how can you have an accident while you're driving on a suspended license and just get a citation?

A suspended license means you are not allowed to drive any time for any reason. And insurance will not cover a driver that has a suspended license, so how was he driving without insurance?

Wonder why Kelly's license got suspended in the first place?

Election Updates

ATLANTA — Now that Georgia Republicans have settled on businessman David Perdue as their nominee for the state's open Senate seat, the real battle begins with a marquee match-up in the ...