Scott Dean gets 20 years in prison, 20 years' probation

Trial that stunned county now over

A former Columbia County Commission member convicted of child molestation was sentenced Friday to two decades in prison.

Back | Next
Former Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean enters the courtroom for sentencing in hischild molestation trial. Dean received two decades in prison followed by 20 years of probation.  JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF

At a sentencing hearing in Evans, Superior Court Judge James G. Blanchard Jr. ordered Scott Dean to serve 20 years, followed by 20 years on probation.

“In my mind, he should be treated no differently than anyone else convicted of a similar crime,” Blanchard said.

A jury had convicted Dean, 42, on Dec. 16 of two counts of child molestation.

Each count carried a state-mandated sentence of five to 20 years.

Dean’s attorney, Pete Theodocion, argued during the hearing that as a first offender Dean should have received a lighter sentence. Based on guidelines from the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles, Dean won’t be eligible for parole for 18 years.

The jury had found Dean guilty of exposing himself to and inappropriately touching his daughter, one of five children he and his wife adopted from Guatemala in 2008. The girl, now 17, claimed he came into her room at night and touched her.

Dean denied the charges when he testified at the trial.

He served on the Harlem City Council and more than five years as the city’s mayor before winning a seat to the county commission in July 2008.

Dean won the July 2010 Re­publican primary in the District 4 commission race despite being accused several weeks earlier of exchanging inappropriate text messages with a married county employee.

He then ran unopposed in the November 2010 general election.

He resigned from the commission in February when he was indicted on the child molestation charges.

my.voice
my.voice 01/26/12 - 10:42 pm
And here we go...

And here we go...

Willow Bailey
20625
Willow Bailey 01/26/12 - 11:00 pm
Big day for Scott Dean.

Big day for Scott Dean.

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 01/26/12 - 11:33 pm
Interesting to note that his

Interesting to note that his wife and family seem to believe he's innocent. I'm not so sure I would be that way if someone was convicted of these charges on a child of mine.

Lakeside95 01/27/12 - 12:41 am
Or the fact that his family

Or the fact that his family and friends continue to support him could show that he was wrongly convicted.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 01/27/12 - 01:51 am
What time is the Dean

What time is the Dean sentencing?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 08:45 am
Lakeside95, if you are so

Lakeside95, if you are so intimately involved with this case, maybe you should write a lengthy comment, telling all the facts as you know them and your involvement.

Lakeside95 01/27/12 - 08:50 am
She gave her account of the

She gave her account of the conversation. I gave mine. And why would I write a lengthy comment when you and others just assume that I am lying?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 08:52 am
Lakeside95 said, "So Scott

Lakeside95 said, "So Scott Hudson- reporter says 'everyone knew'? If he knew...why didn't he say something?"

Did he say everyone knew? I didn't hear it that way. I thought he said those who knew. You quoted him as saying "everyone" knew. The fact is Hudson did speak out loudly, breaking the other story about Dean with the county employee, the solider in Iraq's wife. He had almost daily radio commentaries about what had happened. Some of those of us who comment also made plentiful complaints about Dean's character. All the while, his political friends were still playing with him. Some public officials and press belittled anyone critcizing Dean. Rim shot, chopped liver on Saturday and all that.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 08:55 am
"And Scott Hudson may want to

"And Scott Hudson may want to be careful of character assassinations...remember that old saying with rocks and glass houses."

If I were Scott Hudson, a statement like that would inspire me to no end.

Lakeside95 01/27/12 - 09:11 am
I still can't figure out why

I still can't figure out why Dean gets raked over the coals for inappropriate text messages with a county employee who happened to be married to a soldier- yet the woman in question is ignored. Soldier Boy seems to be less upset by this issue than you do. This county employee isn't the woman tragically taken advantage of...she was a willing participant.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 09:14 am
Riverman asked, “Who was

Riverman asked, “Who was lying, the other daughter or Ashley Wright?”

Don't forget the third possibility: both of them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 09:24 am
LL, that's being a little

LL, that's being a little toooooo philosophical for me this morning.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 09:27 am
The testimony in court was so

The testimony in court was so revealing. That must have been a big bed without everyone knowing what was going on in it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 09:31 am
Lakeside, it's kind of

Lakeside, it's kind of insulting to call the husband SoldierBoy, but he did do much according to Hudson. He placed tracking devices on his wife's car. He contacted Hudson. So to me that looks like he took some pretty effective measures.

MachineMade
MachineMade 01/27/12 - 09:32 am
Can Dean get a fair shake?

Can Dean get a fair shake? The wife posted on Facebook for community support. Let the community seek justcie in the light of a guility verdict but when we become a lynch mob, let's also line up to be judged as unworthy. (Who said "He was guility from the start?". Then throw away the legal system. Bu the legal sysem is mired in the media.)
So much of this case is sad and not necessarily because of Dean's actions.

Lakeside95 01/27/12 - 09:39 am
Ok Riverman1...as the saying

Ok Riverman1...as the saying goes laying down with pigs only covers you in the same mud. You have made it plain that no matter what- Dean is guilty of everything...probably including killing Kennedy. But doesn't it seem odd that his family and friends continue to support him? Maybe they know something that you don't?

David Parker
David Parker 01/27/12 - 09:43 am
Maybe it's just hard for

Maybe it's just hard for people to support a fella that promoted himself as having good character but apparently got involved in something as despicable as playing backdoor man to a U.S. Soldier. I personally think of our military personel as heros and I'm ready to back them up in situations like that. So Mr. Dean may be reaping what he sowed or just plain guilty, but I can't sign off on him being innocent of wrongdoing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 09:47 am
Yeah, pigs thing and all.

Yeah, pigs thing and all. But, listen, I do have compassion for all of them, including Dean and his wife, Renee. It's a terrible thing. He has been convicted and will be punished accordingly. I'm not trying to make it hurt even more, but I'm not trying to question the whole trial again and the testimony of the DA. That's my point.

Let's all have compassion for them, not rub it in, yet, let's not go back to calling the daughter a liar, the DA a liar and everything else under the sun conspiring to convict him. God help Scott Dean today.

Lakeside95 01/27/12 - 09:47 am
Fine- rake him over the coals

Fine- rake him over the coals for daring to text a soldier's wife- but that does not mean he is guilty of child molestation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 09:49 am
Personally, I think the

Personally, I think the soldier should contact his now exwife and together they should sue Dean and Columbia County. Dean was in effect, her boss with the county.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 09:51 am
I believe Columbia County

I believe Columbia County would have to settle for a big sum if a lawsuit results from the soldier and his exwife. Especially, the way Dean's character has been exposed.

Lakeside95 01/27/12 - 09:51 am
Maybe her new husband doesn't

Maybe her new husband doesn't know about this?

Lakeside95 01/27/12 - 09:55 am
Payoff? Wow. You are good.

Payoff? Wow. You are good. Did I pay off the wife, the friends, the family and those in the community that have continued to support Dean. Just call me Momma Warbucks.

David Parker
David Parker 01/27/12 - 09:59 am
I give Lakeside a pass b/c I

I give Lakeside a pass b/c I have Panther PRide ('89), but don't ever twist my comment please. I didn't call the ex-mayor despicable and you know that. A word of advice, it takes away your credibility to get so emo with the comments.

urright
urright 01/27/12 - 10:00 am
There are people who believe

There are people who believe Michael Jackson and OJ are innocent, too.

Lakeside95 01/27/12 - 10:06 am
So the juries in the OJ

So the juries in the OJ murder trial, the Michael Jackson molestation trial were wrong in their verdict- but the Dean jury was totally correct? Wow. Scary system.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/12 - 10:08 am
Lakeside95, we kind of know

Lakeside95, we kind of know each other via email and Parker is giving you good advice. You are too close to this and are ticking everyone off by attacking instead of asking for sympathy. I may have come back at you pretty strong, too, but I'll go back to my other post. Who knows why these things happen? It really is sad and I don't wish Dean the worst. You are admirable the way you take up for him.

hope7
hope7 01/27/12 - 10:34 am
It is simply sicking how

It is simply sicking how ya'll debate and further tear up people's lives!

my.voice
my.voice 01/27/12 - 10:40 am
This discussion has taken on

This discussion has taken on a life of it's own. I don't think we can compare Scott dean to OJ Simpson. The Simpson verdict was an obvious miscarriage of justice. In this case, and most like it, we HAVE to trust the jury system. Without it, we are all guilty until proven innocent. Its not perfect, but its close. There is an appeal system that I am sure will be used, and perhaps if he is indeed innocent, that will work out for him.

Personally, my gut tells me this guys boyish looks allowed him to get away with some devious behavior. But I wasn't in the jury box, and neither were any of you. Jury service is a serious mater and having served on Federal Jury's I can tell you most people take it really seriously. We gotta trust the jury.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 10:44 am
my.voice wrote: There is an

my.voice wrote:

Actually, the appeal system is not designed to determine guilt or innocence. It is, instead, designed to determine whether the prosecution made procedural errors in the initial trial.