Jury to get Augusta DUI homicide case

Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2012 9:32 PM
Last updated 9:35 PM

Deliberations are expected to begin today in the trial of a man accused of fatally striking another man with his pickup while driving drunk.

Charles Oglesby, of Waynesboro, Ga., is charged with first-degree homicide by vehicle, driving under the influence and driving on the wrong side of the road in the June 9, 2009, incident at a construction zone in the 4200 block of Mike Padgett Highway.

The victim, Bill Danes, 45, of Jackson, Ga., was standing outside his dump truck while making an asphalt delivery when he was hit.

The prosecution has portrayed Oglesby as a reckless drunk driver, but Oglesby’s attorney maintains both poor signage and lighting were bigger factors in the wreck.

“It makes the court uncomfortable any time the victim is on trial,” Annis said.

happychimer
happychimer 01/26/12 - 11:14 am
Superior Court Judge Michael

Superior Court Judge Michael Annis cautioned the defense Wednesday that although Danes was negligent in not wearing a reflective vest, that’s a civil matter that cannot be argued in a criminal case.“It makes the court uncomfortable any time the victim is on trial,” Annis said.

A whole lot of people need to listen to that statement, including posters on this paper.Many blame victims instead of criminals.

Angela_Danes
Angela_Danes 01/26/12 - 04:24 pm
The victim is NOT at guilt

The victim is NOT at guilt here. The ignorance & selfishness of one how ever is. Bill Danes is only guilty of going to work & trying to make a living. Mean while another man spent his evening at a local bar drinking & made his choice to drive home after drinking. When he could have made the choice of calling someone to come pick him up. So no matter what anyone may or may not realize is Oglesby, made his choice. Bill Danes had no choice in whether or not he died the nite of June 11, 2009... Enough said, there is no more that anyone can argue, say or any reason to blame the victim. Not only was Bill Danes a victim but the ENTIRE family has become victims as well...

garepoagent
garepoagent 01/26/12 - 04:55 pm
I would like to know how the

I would like to know how the defense attorney sleeps at night he knows the man was DRUNK!!!! HE MADE THE DECISION TO DRIVE DRUNK!!!!and has been charged more than once for doing so, maybe if he didnt have a dam license to start with after being charged and convicted of D.U.I. then Bill would be here today. I drive a tractor trailer also, construction barrels and lighting are NO excuse for being on the wrong side of the road and killing a man working.He has no clue how his getting in a vehicle and driving drunk has impacted Bills family especially his oldest son! HE SHOULD NEVER GET HIS LICENSE BACK!!!!!!! AND BE LOCKED UP!!!

Angela_Danes
Angela_Danes 01/26/12 - 10:16 pm
garepoagent, Denise get in

garepoagent, Denise get in touch w/ me PLEASE.................

MalissaDanes
MalissaDanes 01/26/12 - 11:18 pm
Angela, I posted on the

Angela, I posted on the current story. I am outraged with the juries decision. There is no excuse for the actions of Charles Oglesby and for the courts to reduce the DUI charge when he failed 9 tests is beyond me. I am currently checking into a lawsuit against the state of Georgia and Richmond County for wrongful death, I will let you know what happens and no I am doing this for the money, I do not care about the money as it will not bring my brother back nor will it bring justice but to make the judicial system in Georgia wake up and realize the offense that happens every day is my goal here.

Angel Donath
Angel Donath 01/28/12 - 02:51 pm
Well my son didn't get any

Well my son didn't get any justice in Georgia again. I have no faith left in Ga. When the Sheriff said Charles failed the roadside test and the Jury still dropped the DUI charge what is with this. I guess money does talk.WELL GEORGIA WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO BILL WRONG AGAIN. I jusy pray he can't get out on early release and kill someone else. I blame the courts as much as I blame Charles for not locking him up the last time in 2007.

Broad Street fire still investigated

Downtown streets were closed for several hours Tuesday as firefighters worked to put out a blaze in a Broad Street building.