Purse stolen from disabled Augusta woman

Thursday, Jan. 19, 2012 11:58 AM
Last updated 10:01 PM

Richmond County investigators are searching for a man who entered a disabled woman’s home and stole her purse.

According to an incident report, a black man entered the home in the 1000 block of 10th Avenue around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday after a home health care nurse answered a knock to the door.

The 50-year-old woman, who is bedridden and estimated to be 600 pounds, told officers the man entered her bedroom and demanded her purse. When she insisted she didn’t have one, the man pulled back her bed sheets and removed it from between her legs, police said. The man was last seen running out the front door.

The woman estimated at least $1,000 in cash and $500 in jewelry were in her purse at the time of the theft. The woman and a witness differed on the description of the purse snatcher.

Officers brought a suspect in for questioning, but he was released.

Comments (7)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/19/12 - 02:04 pm

I can't say what I would like

I can't say what I would like to about this thief because of the nice people who read these comments and report them, but his actions speak for themselves. I just can't fathom the mentality of one who would rob the helpless.

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 01/19/12 - 02:05 pm

Bianca, why is her weight

Bianca, why is her weight important to the story?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/19/12 - 02:08 pm

Really! I missed that when my

Really! I missed that when my BP peaked out over the fact she was bedridden. This perp knew where her purse was; how many hide it between their legs under the sheet? I wonder if any more facts will come out.

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/19/12 - 02:22 pm

ick, he's running around with

ick, he's running around with it?

allhans
21987
allhans 01/19/12 - 02:46 pm

Bedridden, 50 years old. 600

Bedridden, 50 years old. 600 lbs, home health care nurse....
opens the door. What action did he/she take?

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 01/19/12 - 07:33 pm

She needs to keep a 357

She needs to keep a 357 between her legs now.

allhans
21987
allhans 01/20/12 - 05:15 am

My concern is that the

My concern is that the caretaker opened the door and nothing was said about any action he/she then took to stop the theft.

reba530
reba530 01/20/12 - 12:59 pm

Who knows the caretaker could

Who knows the caretaker could have been involved. After all he knew exactly where the purse was. Go figure

whyme
whyme 01/20/12 - 02:15 pm

The AC must really be

The AC must really be desperate to get people to comment or thinks it would be a hoot that it needed to post the woman's weight. Totally irrelevant to the story. And yes, the article wasn't even properly written to clearly explain who was who. But shame on them.