Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Copper thief causes $10,000 damage to Augusta church

Thursday, Jan. 19, 2012 8:59 PM
Last updated 9:53 PM

An intruder caused $10,000 in damage to Friendship Baptist Church on Deans Bridge Road while stealing copper wire from two air-conditioning units sometime between Jan. 12 and Thursday.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office report, the intruder entered through a locked gate to access the air conditioners. Both units were damaged or destroyed during the theft.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 01/19/12 - 10:17 pm
I am so tired of these thugs

I am so tired of these thugs damaging churches and other places by stealing their copper tubing off A/C units. I hope they get caught trying to cash it in.

allhans
allhans 01/20/12 - 06:27 am
Entered through a locked

Entered through a locked gate? How is that done.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/20/12 - 06:52 am
My sister had to encase her

My sister had to encase her ac units with fencing......a business on Telfair...it costs more in damage than they will ever get from the copper...real jerks doing this...people went through the depression & didn't steal like this.

david jennings
david jennings 01/20/12 - 07:25 am
Yes I am tired of it to. It

Yes I am tired of it to. It just makes me so mad. There should be a way to make the sorry individual work and pay for the damage.

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/20/12 - 10:09 am
If you would not get arrested

If you would not get arrested I say shoot the bandits or beat them badly with a something if you catch them.

David Parker
David Parker 01/20/12 - 10:16 am
Someone come up with an idea

Someone come up with an idea that is effective. The thefts are getting bigger and more numerous despite efforts to curtail it. The perps that commit the thefts are clever but they can't be all that bright. Get a handle on it.

i got nothing.

GuesS_wHU
GuesS_wHU 01/20/12 - 10:58 am
The fix for this revolves

The fix for this revolves around the outlets to unload these stolen goods. If you can get to copper buyers, you get to the copper stealers. If I'm not mistaken there is a 1 man task force set up by the RCSO to combat this. I hardly think they are serious about stopping this in Augusta.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 01/20/12 - 07:54 pm
Anyone who would steal from a

Anyone who would steal from a church deserves no less than being struck by a bolt of lightning....or at least electrocuted trying to get the copper out of the units. I was e-mailed a picture a year or two ago of two copper thieves that that exact thing happened to...quick fried to a crackly crunch.