Shooting victim's family struggles with funeral costs

The family of the man killed on Saturday at an East Boundary apartment complex is asking for help to pay funeral costs.

Doniel Jamal Hicks, 24, was shot once in the chest outside River Glen apartments. Hicks’ brother, Kennie Eberhart, Jr., said the family is having difficulty raising money for funeral costs, although a burial has been scheduled for Friday with C.A. Reid Sr. Memorial Funeral Home.

The funeral home director, Charlie Reid, said the family currently owes about $1,127.

“Right now we’re just trying to get by and trying to be strong for our momma,” Eberhart said. “We’re trying to get the money, but we can’t afford a funeral.”

Police are searching for Christopher Gary Smith, 24, of the 100 block of East Aumour Street in relation to the shooting, according to Richmond County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Blaise Dresser.

Hicks leaves behind two children, ages two and three, his mother and three brothers.

Eberhart said Hicks was a quiet person but one who always put family first.

Anyone willing to donate to the funeral can call C.A. Reid Funeral Home at (706) 724-7594.

LocalThives
LocalThives 01/18/12 - 07:19 pm
Who cares? Try getting a job,

Who cares? Try getting a job, you poor because you deserve being poor.

mc
mc 01/18/12 - 07:41 pm
I think that when they catch

I think that when they catch the shooter, he should pay the funeral costs, just as if someone steals a car and wrecks it running from the cops should have to pay for the car. Not your insurance. And not give them three meals and room and board. If they had to pay for their crimes, just maybe they would think twice about doing it.

tanbaby
tanbaby 01/18/12 - 08:07 pm
mc, unfortunately i think you

mc, unfortunately i think you are wrong...because if these criminals were paying for ANYTHING in the first place, they probably wouldn't feel the need to be robbing and killing people....

BlackandBlue
BlackandBlue 01/18/12 - 08:18 pm
I am sorry for the family.

I am sorry for the family. Nifty website for you readers to use to see some of the history of people involved in these stories. Go to Google. Type in case management Augusta GA. Once inside click on criminal search and type the persons name in. Last name, first name. Example: Doe, john. You can see their history through Richmond county. Will open your eyes about some of these "victims"

BlackandBlue
BlackandBlue 01/19/12 - 12:49 am
the best part about the

the best part about the website is you can see the slap on the wrist punishments these people get from the judges around here

washi73
washi73 01/19/12 - 05:36 am
I don't mean to be rude. But

I don't mean to be rude. But I think a criminal history should not be a issue if they are trying to bury a love one. They do deserve to bury their family member regardless of what past crimes they have done. I do believe jail and prison can help some people and some do become instiutionilzed. We don't know if this young man was turning his life around and try to do better. We should not be so quick to judge...that's Jesus job. Just because you have done a crime dosent make you a horriable person. A mans life is gone...a mother without a son..and two babies without a father. What if the situation happened to your families?

mc
mc 01/19/12 - 08:17 am
Tanbaby, thats my point. Just

Tanbaby, thats my point. Just as if they dont pay child support, they get locked up. If they don't pay for their actions, lock them up until they do. Why should the law abiding citizen have to pay higher insurance rates because of a theif. I know because I was dropped by my insurance company because someone broke into my house. Rates trippled. Why should I have to pay for that.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 01/19/12 - 09:11 am
mc and tanbaby - Even if they

mc and tanbaby - Even if they are not capable of financial restitution they are capable of some form of community service; there is plenty of work to be done along our roadways and other places I am sure. Even a handicapped person can do community service by answering phones, or other seated work.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 01/19/12 - 09:14 am
With a balance of less than

With a balance of less than $1200, it doesn't appear that they are looking for an elaborate funeral.

iLove
iLove 01/19/12 - 10:13 am
You guys, today, lets take

You guys, today, lets take the HIGH ROAD and either help out, or keep your opinions to your self.

Who cares about his history WHEN WE ARE DISCUSSING A GRIEVING FAMILY'S lack of funds.

He who is without sin, cast the first stone....I am sure the Lord will bless you (not always monetarily) for your kind heart, if you choose to be there for this family IN ANYWAY POSSIBLE (time, prayer, support, money)

Father, I ask that you touch the hearts of the community today. In Jesus' name, amen.

Big Rave to C.A. Reid for having a heart! I have always heard good things about this funeral home.

Partnerships needed in cyber sectors, NSA director says

Adm. Michael Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, said the nation's security rests on breaking down bariers between private and government sectors specializing in cyber defense. ...