Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Couple in jail after failed robbery

Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2012 12:07 PM
Last updated 7:40 PM

A man and his girlfriend are in jail after a failed robbery attempt at a Gordon Highway pharmacy Sunday.

According to Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Blaise Dresser, Latishia Carter, 18, entered CVS Pharmacy, 1633 Gordon Highway, armed with a gun around 9:35 p.m. After she was confronted by a clerk, Carter fled and was discovered nearby in a drainage ditch. The firearm was recovered in a dumpster.

While interviewing witnesses at the store, officers began to question whether one of the witnesses, Cortez Carr, 20, had been involved. When questioned, Dresser said, Carr struck an investigator and ran into the pharmacy.

In the pharmacy, Carr took the investigator’s gun from the holster. Officers were able to retrieve the gun.

An investigation revealed Carr had intended to rob the store but persuaded his girlfriend to do it instead.

The couple, of the 1700 block of Valley Park Court, was booked into the Richmond County Jail on charges of criminal attempt armed robbery and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. Carr was additionally charged with criminal trespass, felony obstruction and felony removal of a weapon from a public official.

raul
raul 01/17/12 - 02:05 pm
Wow. Carr took the

Wow. Carr took the investigator's gun from the holster. I am surprised the jailed Mr. Carr is not the dead Mr. Carr.

Willow Bailey 01/17/12 - 02:56 pm
If the girl has no priors,

If the girl has no priors, put her in jail for 1 year, mandatory personal/educational/job counseling and then on probation for 3-5 years. Put the guy in jail for 20 years. Must serve 10 before coming up for parole

sand gnat
sand gnat 01/17/12 - 02:56 pm
raul, i agree. great job by

raul, i agree. great job by rcsd. carr caught a break.

raul
raul 01/17/12 - 03:19 pm
@Willow. I don't understand

@Willow. I don't understand your recommended light sentence for the female.She was armed and attempted robbery. I am o.k. with your recommendation for Carr.

Willow Bailey 01/17/12 - 04:55 pm
raul,I don't know Latisha,

raul,I don't know Latisha, but I know stories like hers. I think she was used by the boyfriend. I have a heart for girls like her, I think she has potential. If I were in a position to invest in her, like a judge, I would explore the possibilties.

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/17/12 - 05:24 pm
She knew what she was getting

She knew what she was getting into when she made her choice. She should face the consequences.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/17/12 - 06:53 pm
The Justice Department

The Justice Department (there's a knee-slapper of a misnomer!) did a study --which was never repeated for reasons which will become obvious-- that found, that given all factors being equal, women received between one-half and one-quarter the sentences for the same criminal offenses as men.

I was briefly a convenience store clerk and had a single-barrel sawed-off 12-gauge shoved in my face. All you sob sisters need to have that experience and THEN tell me how this criminal scum deserves to walk away with a kisson the hand. If I had been armed I would have emptied a clip into the 14-year old as they looted the register- and not even thought about anything of it, other than reloading a full magazine.

Willow Bailey 01/17/12 - 07:06 pm
That's where I think you

That's where I think you could be wrong, at least initially, Patty.
Some young girls do very foolish things without thinking out the consequences (boys, too). We can't build enough jails to house all of them, so we better start trying to help them on the front end and stop seeing everybody who makes a mistake as a complete throw away. There many who are uncontiously incompetent who would benefit from some awareness and direction.
Otherwise, we are going to have bring back stoning for every offense.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/17/12 - 07:28 pm
Willow, Willow, Willow, I

Willow, Willow, Willow, I have read your comment no less than 5 times and shook my head every time. I even follow you daily and I never for one moment ever felt you were one of the bleeding hearts that walk among us. This person was 18 and without a doubt she knew Right From Wrong.

"we better start trying to help them on the front end" Her front end ended when she entered the pharmacy, WITH A WEAPON, With the intent of robbing it. I would like to know her education level, Living environment, and all her past records, (education and Judicial).

I may be wrong but "mandatory personal/educational/job counseling and then on probation for 3-5 years" will not correct what she has in store for her life.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/17/12 - 07:31 pm
"Otherwise, we are going to

"Otherwise, we are going to have bring back stoning for every offense." What, pray tell, would be the down side, again?

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/17/12 - 07:33 pm
Willow....how do you

Willow....how do you differentiate the throw-aways from the non-throwaways?

Willow Bailey 01/17/12 - 09:09 pm
CG, I don't mean to offend

CG, I don't mean to offend you. I know how that must sound to you from what you experienced.

I would prefer to email you privately to try to clear this up with you.

Willow Bailey 01/17/12 - 09:12 pm
Patty, I don't have the

Patty, I don't have the ability to defferntiate, as you know, I have no records. I believe I stated that as a judge, I would be willing to take a look at her circumstances. She appears to be used by the guy.
Girls do not usually do these things.

Willow Bailey 01/17/12 - 09:22 pm
CG, you don't have an email

CG, you don't have an email address up. If you'd please send me one, so I can respond. I really do want to explain it to you. If you prefer, I will take the post down. I'll be happy to do so if it causes you an offense. I certainly understand your feelings on the matter.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/17/12 - 09:51 pm
Willow, Please, in no way

Willow, Please, in no way have you offended me and I still support 99.9% of your comments. I'm just saying, example, if you train a dog to be vicious from birth, it is almost impossible to chance him into being a peace loving animal in his 8 dog year of life. Our judicial system has proving daily that they are not making better citizens out of our criminal society. It is going to take a judical hard core stance to a point that all humans realize that before they break the law, they will fear it or know they will pay dearly for their actions. Without knowing this girls past history, (but chances are she doesn't have the best), it is hard to make a complete judgement without hearing any mitigating information for her law breaking actons.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/17/12 - 09:54 pm
Keep in mind, nobody can

Keep in mind, nobody can offend me with only words. It takes a gun in my face or to any member of my family to make it past the point of being offended.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/17/12 - 09:57 pm
Willow, just checked my

Willow, just checked my avatar and my email address is there.

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/17/12 - 10:21 pm
Willow....a person her age

Willow....a person her age knows right from wrong. If I were the person she held up, it would be a travesty of justice for her to get such a light sentence. This is the point where our communities and society in general experience this type of stuff and it happens more and more often with disregard for innocent victims. People have to fear the consequences.

Willow Bailey 01/17/12 - 11:10 pm
CG, I just found it. You

CG, I just found it. You have mail.

Willow Bailey 01/17/12 - 11:18 pm
Patty, I understand, you

Patty, I understand, you have been in the victims seat to an extent with having your peace and security threatened. So, I can surely see your point. We like to think they know, by this age, but without knowing the background like CG just pointed out; there's a lot missing to the picture.
Since, I mentor, I am going to be inclined to want to know their past and if there is any hope for a future for them. I do agree with you that things aren't working as they are.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/18/12 - 12:12 am
I agree with Cobalt and Patty

I agree with Cobalt and Patty 100%. That, you are debating against, is exactly the bleeding heart mentality that lets these violent criminal roam free among us to keep re-offending.

Willow, "Some young girls do very foolish things without thinking out the consequences (boys, too)." when do you draw the line with multiple chances and violent crimes? Murder, rape, torture?? This isn't shoplifting a pack of gum, she threatened someones life!!!! You were more upset over a guy who tapped a kid on the back of the head for being a jerk, and to what degree if he was justified or not you don't know, than over for a violent criminal who had a complete disregard of human life. If she would commit armed robbery for him "under his powers" she would also either kill for him or as a young lady did a few years back never say a word to stop him from torturing and killing someone when she had 100 chances to get help.

Willow Bailey 01/18/12 - 12:11 am
Gastang, I don't know what

Gastang, I don't know what chances, if any,she has had. I'm only stating I would take a look at her. It was against AC policy for me to explain my reasons for my opinion. So, I am limited by what I can say. I understand why others feel strongly about this.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/18/12 - 12:13 am
Sorry was correcting spelling

Sorry was correcting spelling and added to it. =)

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/18/12 - 12:20 am
Punishment possibly could be

Punishment possibly could be just as bad if the boyfriend was handling the gun and she were driving the getaway car. They both knew what they were doing. No bleeding heart from me.

Willow Bailey 01/18/12 - 12:23 am
Guys, what is wrong with

Guys, what is wrong with getting all the facts on her before deciding the degree of her punishment? We are ALL in accord, that she's got to have some consequences. She's 18 not 45. There's still hope for her. We can always throw her away.

Willow Bailey 01/18/12 - 12:25 am
myfather15, what are you

myfather15, what are you doing appearing unpublished? I can't view all of your comment to me. Email me with it, I'd like to see it. I always respect your views. Get your account fixed; we are missing out without you.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/18/12 - 12:34 am
WB, with your permission, I

WB, with your permission, I would like to post the two middle paragraphs that you sent me and hope it would ease some of the misconceptions some are having on how you feel. I now see where you came from and why you commented like you did. I honour you for your goal to help some of the lost one's in our society.

Willow Bailey 01/18/12 - 12:44 am
CG, Thank you so much, but

CG, Thank you so much, but Sean does not want that posted. It violates AC policy to bring up something that reflects on others who are not included in the story. I do appreciate your kindness and desire to support me. I'm completely happy just being understood by you.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/18/12 - 12:54 am
WB, unless you said more in

WB, unless you said more in the original post, there is no possible justification that Sean could have removed that post. OK, he is the boss. We will have lunch someday.

Willow Bailey 01/18/12 - 12:55 am
Goodnight everyone. Whew,

Goodnight everyone. Whew, I've got a sore fanny for this one:) I am grateful CG still loves me.