Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman robbed after tire goes flat in downtown Augusta

Sunday, Jan. 15, 2012 10:31 PM
Last updated 10:49 PM

A woman was robbed after she pulled over because her tire went flat, police said.

Britany Pham, 20, told officers when she pulled over in the 2000 block of Broad Street just after midnight Sunday, a white vehicle pulled in behind her. Two men got out, stole her cellphone and keys, beat her and pulled her hair, according to a Richmond County sheriff’s report.

She said she got away from them and walked to Arsenal Avenue.

countyman
countyman 01/16/12 - 01:37 am
Harrisburg is not the real

Harrisburg is not the real downtown Augusta... The Central Business District is the real downtown..

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/16/12 - 02:22 am
Glad the situation did not

Glad the situation did not end up as bad as it could have. I so hope the lowlifes are caught and get the REAL punishment they deserve!!!!

sunny13
sunny13 01/16/12 - 03:23 am
You must be kidding me

You must be kidding me countyman.... you are going to correct someone over exactly what an area should be called when a woman was beaten and robbed? Where in the world is your compassion??

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/16/12 - 04:50 am
Yeah, countyman, that was NOT

Yeah, countyman, that was NOT cool. Maybe you should rethink your allegiance to the county and think about how it's controlled your thought processes. Hope this young lady is okay and they catch the scum.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/16/12 - 05:08 am
sunny. "Where in the world is

sunny. "Where in the world is your compassion??" (The Central Business District)

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/16/12 - 05:26 am
Countyman, that comment says

Countyman, that comment says a lot, but not what you intended.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/16/12 - 05:37 am
Nasty! "Britany Pham" = East

Nasty!
"Britany Pham" = East meets West.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/16/12 - 07:31 am
If this is 100% true...this

If this is 100% true...this makes me sick....& countyman you are showing some strange thinking....imo

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/16/12 - 07:32 am
What if this happened 2 feet

What if this happened 2 feet inside the CBD??

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/16/12 - 07:53 am
There could be the most

There could be the most horrendous crime and as long it wasn't officially inside the CBD, it would be okay.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 01/16/12 - 08:44 am
Augusta

Augusta Ga...........................ain't no place to be.

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 01/16/12 - 08:47 am
Why Arsenal Ave? That's a

Why Arsenal Ave? That's a pretty long trot from Broad Street.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/16/12 - 08:57 am
Yeah, if you stay right

Yeah, if you stay right inside the CBD, you are completely safe. No crime there. She should be charged with interfering with countyman's statistics.

countyman
countyman 01/16/12 - 09:28 am
I feel safe in the CBD

I feel safe in the CBD compared to Evans, and I lived in both..

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/16/12 - 09:34 am
That's very descriptive of

That's very descriptive of you, countyman, thanks for taking some of the mystery out. I'm beginning to understand you better.

Piperpig
Piperpig 01/16/12 - 09:47 am
What a horrible crime.

What a horrible crime. Arsenal Avenue runs along Augusta College, which means the poor girl ran almost two miles in super cold weather just to get to some sense of safety. If I got robbed in Harrisburg, I'm running for Summerville too. It's disgusting that something like this would happen.

I know people want to attack Countyman for what appears to be a nonsensical response, but I do understand a bit of what he's saying. I grew up on the southside and I remember how upset everyone would get with the way crime was reported. Everything to the south of Wrightsboro Road (and even all the way into downtown) was reported as being in "South Augusta," as though it were a separate city. Yet, if something terrible happened on Washington Road or Wheeler Road or wherever, it was merely reported as being "Augusta." A little absurd. The 2000 block of Broad Street is in the heart of Harrisburg. Words have meaning--if you're going to tag a geographic area of the city, then at least get it right.

There are a few areas of this city that are absolutely horrendous. Harrisburg is one of those areas. It is a disgusting swamp and it needs to be bulldozed. I have to drive through there on my way to work. It's like driving through some post-apocalypse movie set--I half to expect to see roving bands of flesh-eating zombies roaming the streets whenever I drive through. My car has broken down in some pretty iffy parts of town, but I've never really felt unsafe. A couple of months ago, my car broke down in Harrisburg. Not only did I feel unsafe, but I didn't even want to call my wife to pick me up because I was scared for her to come down there.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/16/12 - 09:59 am
"she pulled over in the 2000

"she pulled over in the 2000 block of Broad Street just after midnight Sunday, a white vehicle pulled in behind her. Two men got out, stole her cellphone and keys, beat her and pulled her hair"

Piperpig, I'd say it was very frightening, painful and upsetting to this young woman. Say what you want, but it's not safe anywhere DT, Harrisburg or CBD; day or night.

Piperpig
Piperpig 01/16/12 - 10:32 am
Willow, I'm with you. This

Willow, I'm with you. This could have happened downtown too (or anywhere). My only real point is that it did not happen downtown--it happened in Harrisburg. And I don't mean to attack all of Harrisburg, but that area around Crawford Avenue and Eve Street stretching back to 15th Street is just plain scary.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/16/12 - 10:45 am
Once again, please get your

Once again, please get your CCP, the life you save may be mine.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 01/16/12 - 10:47 am
Piper...you'll get your wish

Piper...you'll get your wish sooner than you think.. Harrisburg is the way it is ON PURPOSE. I know people who live there and they have been told by deputies that the order is to "stand down" when it comes to enforcement there. Why? Because a certain few developers MUST have the area be destitute in order to buy up the properties (under a myriad of LLC's) apply for grants and/or buy low, sell high when they finally DO bulldoze the area. The people "behind the scenes" could care less about the area as a neighborhood or the people who live there. To them it's just another way to make a buck..I'm a capitalist...I'm cool with making a buck but the way these people are doing it is just plain evil......crony capitalism is alive and well and you can see it daily in H'burg...

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 01/16/12 - 12:11 pm
Conservative Man is right. I

Conservative Man is right. I live in Harrisburg and we have been fighting a battle that will not be won because it is not supposed to go that way. How sickening to those of us who live there.

Jim-bob
Jim-bob 01/16/12 - 12:18 pm
Thats close to the Kroc

Thats close to the Kroc center.

raul
raul 01/16/12 - 02:05 pm
@countyman. What happened to

@countyman. What happened to you in Evans that you would feel safter in the CBD?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/12 - 02:29 pm
Just a reminder that

Just a reminder that yesterday one of our other posters made a good suggestion that a better name for the downtown area is Government Office District instead of Central Business District. In the first place, Augusta downtown is not central to anything in Richmond County. In the second place, most of the important businesses have moved or become established elsewhere in the county. So for me, I'm going to refer to the downtown area as

the GOD

and that should make countyman happy.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/16/12 - 02:50 pm
I'll walk down the street in

I'll walk down the street in Evans with hundred dollar bills stuck all over me at 2 AM. Anyone who doesn't feel safe there is doing something they shouldn't be doing and afraid of the police.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/16/12 - 02:58 pm
River, exactly what day, what

River, exactly what day, what street...........just curious.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/16/12 - 03:03 pm
JTF, you just want to know

JTF, you just want to know because you think I'm going to do it naked.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/16/12 - 03:09 pm
Now there's an image only

Now there's an image only Seenit could envision.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/16/12 - 03:21 pm
Safer in CBD than Evans???

Safer in CBD than Evans??? Ridiculous statement. Do in CBD what Riverman said he would do in Evans, you wouldn't last but mere minutes and would be lucky to escape unharmed!!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/16/12 - 03:22 pm
answer JTF seenitB4 LOL

answer JTF

seenitB4
LOL

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...