Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

3 pit bulls stolen from Augusta yard

Sunday, Jan. 15, 2012 10:30 PM
Last updated 10:48 PM

A woman told police three pit bulls were stolen from her yard Sunday afternoon.

Tonya Lavarsette Crawford, of the 1400 block of Monroe Street, told deputies a thief entered her back yard between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and took three of her four dogs, according to a Richmond County sheriff’s report.

Crawford said the dogs were a 9-year-old black-and-white male, a 4-year-old tan male and a 5-year-old black-and-white female, and all three animals had been chained up.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/16/12 - 03:25 am
Pretty bad when your guard

Pretty bad when your guard dogs are stolen!!! lol Not condoning it at all, but I sure hope they stole them to give them a good home and not for foul reasons like fighting, which is probably more likely the case. =(

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/16/12 - 06:35 am
Wow! How do you steal a pit

Wow! How do you steal a pit bull? LOL!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/16/12 - 07:13 am
How do you steal THREE pit

How do you steal THREE pit bulls?

allhans
allhans 01/16/12 - 09:54 am
Poor dogs. I hope they are

Poor dogs. I hope they are found before it is too late.

beboisme
beboisme 01/16/12 - 09:57 am
Please someome come and steal

Please someome come and steal my neighbors dogs. Four on one side and seven on the other side. They aren't pits but do have some kind of breed!

redapples
redapples 01/16/12 - 10:11 am
Maybe it was a rescue

Maybe it was a rescue operation! Would be interesting to see the conditions the dogs were living in...chained up and all!

allhans
allhans 01/16/12 - 10:30 am
If it was a rescue operation

If it was a rescue operation then God Bless them and may they live in peace. I feel better with that thought.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/16/12 - 10:36 am
I have a baaad feeling about

I have a baaad feeling about this....why just 3 & not the other dog..

sand gnat
sand gnat 01/16/12 - 11:43 am
The only thing bad about

The only thing bad about these dogs is their reputation. Best family pet I ever owned. Worst thing you can do is put a dog on a chain. Any kind.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 01/16/12 - 11:53 am
There are some insurance

There are some insurance companies which will cancel your homeowners policy if they find out you own one of these pooches. That's not because of their reputation, either. It's because of statistics. Actual numbers.

allhans
allhans 01/16/12 - 11:54 am
I would release a chained dog

I would release a chained dog if the opportunity was there. No animal should be chained. The person who does this, should never, ever own a dog and pretend it is a pet.

fftaz71
fftaz71 01/16/12 - 02:39 pm
Allhans, so long as the dog

Allhans, so long as the dog has enough room to run, food and water maybe the owner chains the dog to keep it from running away or chasing cars. My dog when I was growing up and my parents dog now ALWAYS goes on a leash (chain) outside but..they have/had plenty of room to do their thing. Our dogs were happy, outside only to do their business or when we were outside with them. If someone was to let our dog off their chain Id be ticked. Dog owners face other insurance liabilities non-owners do not. Not to mention, some areas require dogs to be chained/leashed if they are outside unattended. I dont have a dog now, so I dont know the rules here, but if I didnt have a fenced in yard that was guaranteed to keep them in and I did have dogs, they would be on a chain. Unless you ask the owners permission, you have no right to arbitrarily let someone elses animal off a chain...

Sweet son
Sweet son 01/16/12 - 02:46 pm
Lots of feed and manure!!!

Lots of feed and manure!!! LOL!

formerlawman1217
formerlawman1217 01/16/12 - 05:35 pm
hopefully the thief doesnt

hopefully the thief doesnt use them for fighting. but at the same time a chain is no life for any dog of any kind either. by the way to the fighters its a felony to fight dogs. so maybe he will get caught if thats what he plans to do with them, and it will then lead to rescue of more dogs and more arrest in the area.