Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police: Augusta man had 41 grams of marijuana

Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2012 10:27 PM
Last updated 10:51 PM

A man was arrested after deputies found 41.1 grams of marijuana in his car Tuesday, police said.

Artez Anthony  Special
Special
Artez Anthony

Artez Barrett Anthony, 22, of the 2000 block of Third Street, was pulled over for a window tint violation at 11:40 a.m., according to a Richmond County sheriff’s report.

Deputy Richard Palocsik said he noticed a strong odor of marijuana coming from the black Chevrolet Lumina as he approached it. When he told Anthony why he had been pulled over, Anthony said he knew it was too dark and he would take care of it. He also informed Palocsik he had a loaded gun on the front seat, the report says.

Palocsik asked Anthony to get out of the car and put him in handcuffs for “officer safety,” and called for backup. When help arrived, took the gun and saw marijuana stems in the ash tray. Palocsik and the other officer searched the car and found two plastic bags and a jar of marijuana in the trunk with digital scales. They also found plastic baggies and four cellphones.

Anthony was booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, possession of a firearm or knife during a crime and driving with improper windshield and wipers. His bond was set at $8,040, according to the jail Web site.

fighterzack
fighterzack 01/10/12 - 11:54 pm
Brilliance.

Brilliance.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/11/12 - 12:48 am
Great Job Deputy Palocsik!!

Great Job Deputy Palocsik!! Keep up the good work.

ADAMS
ADAMS 01/11/12 - 08:09 am
Drivers beware if you are

Drivers beware if you are riding through a "know drug area",third street is a "known drug area." But here is the big dilemma, I was driving down second ave look for my cousin house and some deputies was searching some guys on the corner. I was unconscious that one of the deputies watched me drive up and down second ave trying to find my cousin house. This deputy did not stop me then,however; he saw me driving down town and pulled me over and asked me why i was driving through second ave? I told him i was looking for my cousin house thats when he told he stopped because my tint looked to dark following that he asked me to search my car.This idiot deputy think i was looking for drugs or delivering,would i have rode by the parked deputies on second ave third times if i was riding dirty, no i don't think so. So, now i was stopped on spruce st and the white deputy asked to search my car for drugs than he checked my tint and it was legal. It was not the issue about my tint this deputy thought i had drugs in my car, but i didn't. So, after the deputy let me go i went straight the sheriff's office and talked to Ronald Strength and told him what his deputies are doing to drivers with tinted cars riding through a "known drug area." He did not resolve the matter at hand, so i followed up with the FBI civll rights divison and reported a racial profile grievance against the white deputies and the Sheriff's office. I hope that a probe will put a stop against Sheriff's Ronald Strength's deputies for using tinted cars as a tool to stop and check for drugs and other violation.

CABoatright
CABoatright 01/11/12 - 08:16 am
Can you say "subject-verb

Can you say "subject-verb agreement" ADAMS? Go back to school & gain command of the English language. "They" may listen to you then.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/12 - 08:29 am
adams said.... He did not

adams said....

Did ya ever THINK this money could be used to combat CRIME in your area?????
I've been stopped too ---the LAST thing I think about is filing a dang lawsuit-----GEEEEZ----I'm just glad that they are doing a thankless job...w/o them YOU would be living in the wild west..
Spend your money on education....buy a big fat dictionary.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/11/12 - 08:30 am
How can a police officer on

How can a police officer on the street check the transmissivity of any vehicle's window tint and know whether it is legal or illegal? What kind of equipment do they use? How often is the equipment calibrated? What kind of training is provided? How often must the officer be re-certified in window tint transmissivity? Something does not ring true in ADAMS' post above.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/12 - 08:32 am
A lot of "somethings"

A lot of "somethings" Llamb..

A big goodmorning toya!

copperhead
copperhead 01/11/12 - 08:37 am
We need to let murders and

We need to let murders and rapists bond out of jail to make room for this dangerous person. (like the guy that shot the aiken officer) i'd be willing to bet that this guy's(pot possesser) bond is higher than the shooter's was.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/11/12 - 08:38 am
Good morning, SeenIt. :-)

Good morning, SeenIt.

:-)

BlackandBlue
BlackandBlue 01/11/12 - 08:54 am
Have a few issues here.

Have a few issues here. First off Great job Deputy Paloscik! We need more proactive deputies like yourself out there. Little Lamb, it is called a "tint meter". It is a square box about the size of a deck of cards or a little bigger. has a slit on the bottom you place it over the window and get a digital reading of how dark the tint is. Not that hard to use. ADAMS, you were pulled over for your window tint. Several times as you have admitted yourself. Obviously they look dark to the naked eye. It was at that point you were asked about having your car searched, because as you have admitted you were driving up and down several streets in a known drug area. Nowhere did you mention the deputies were rude or anything. They were just doing their job. Doing it well I might ad. Copperhead, that argument about drug users are not dangerous and thus shouldnt take up prison space is by far the most ignorant argument being made today. Drug users are the ones doing 90% of the burglaries so they can keep up with their habit. This guy on the other hand was not a user. He was a seller. 41grams and a gun on the seat to protect his business. Almost all crimes revolve around drugs in some way.

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/11/12 - 09:46 am
So they DO arrest drug

So they DO arrest drug dealers in Augusta?

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/11/12 - 09:47 am
You are absolutely right

You are absolutely right BlackandBlue about the correlation between drugs and crime.

belle
belle 01/11/12 - 10:33 am
possession of a firearm

possession of a firearm during commission of a crime? What crime was that? The tint or the drugs? I would think that charge would be used with Physical crimes such as robbery, actively dealing, assault.....

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/11/12 - 10:47 am
belle, he was in possession

belle, he was in possession of a firearm when he committed (during commission of a crime), the crime of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He was stopped due to the tint issue of his window and in the process a crime was discovered (drugs and firearm).

Great job Deputy Paloscik. Who knows, we might have been reading about another murder if this dealer had not been stopped and firearm discovered.

As for ADAAM, something about this story doesn't seem right. He's driving up and down 2nd Ave looking for his cousins house (why not get out the cell phone and ask him for directions...he's your cousin and you don't know where he lives?) Also you are driving down town...(guess you didn't find your cousins house) and an officer stops you. You call the deputy "idiot" for doing his job? What else would he think? A car with dark windows driving up and down a know drug area, and he thinks you might be dealing or buying drugs? Wow! Wonder if your opinion would be different if it has been a "black" deputy?

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 01/11/12 - 10:50 am
You don't have to use the

You don't have to use the weapon during the commission of a crime. Just possessing it while you commit IS the crime...according to current statutes. And if I'm not mistaken it's a Federal crime... Great job RCSO.....

iLove
iLove 01/11/12 - 11:17 am
@ADAMS - I too have been

@ADAMS - I too have been pulled over for the "tint on my windows"....I think its a tactic to just pull someone over. Once while traveling in Columbia County, I was pulled over for suspected car jacking. . . . .I previously pulled over into an auto parts store to call my friend, whose house I was looking for. I guess the officer thought I wanted to leave my car there and steal someone's else.....

It's the way of the game. . . .yet MAJOIRYT of leos are legit.

The car window tint is a local tactic for the sterotypical suspect...... do you feel me?

allhans
allhans 01/11/12 - 11:16 am
Why are some comments so hard

Why are some comments so hard to believe.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/11/12 - 11:18 am
iLove, law enforcement is not

iLove, law enforcement is not a game and I'm glad to see you give the majority of LEOs the credit for being legit. If you had been car-jacked, wouldn't you want officers to stop any and every car that looked like yours in hopes of having it returned and the theft caught. Why is it such an issue for being stopped. If you are doing nothing wrong, have nothing to hide in your car, what is the big deal. Let him check the tint, search the vehicle if he ask, and then be on your merry way. Be thankful officers are doing their job and not sitting at a donut shop like most people assume they do....that's another false opinion by the way.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/11/12 - 11:20 am
Pin a medal on Officer

Pin a medal on Officer Palocsik.

And I would have no problem being pulled over and questioned if it aided law enforcement to stop the crime in our community.

In fact, if they were in the middle of a drug bust, and I was driving back and forth looking for "my cousins house", I would appreciate the warning to get out of the way for my own safety.

Don't like the hassel of getting pulled over for dark tint, don't tint dark. You know the law. Obey it. Support the safety of your community and law enforcement officers. It's dangerous enough for them to have to approach any vehicle, especially one they can't see into. Learn to care about something larger than yourself.

iLove
iLove 01/11/12 - 11:26 am
Because you have not

Because you have not experienced it.

iLove
iLove 01/11/12 - 11:34 am
Yea, yea, yea, not once did I

Yea, yea, yea, not once did I say I was against the idea, once again, ITS THE WAY OF THE GAME....yet, as you and others have said, If you are doing nothing wrong, then why get mad??? I do none of the actions described in the article, so I am not worried.

Just being real and saying that COPS DO PULL OVER PEOPLE FOR "suspected car jacking" or " window-tint violations"...just to conduct a more indepth search of the person. I am cool with that.

And the Officer used some black box thing that allows the edge of the window to be inserted. I guess it is a light meacuring tool or something. He also was chewing tobacco and spit. . . .yes I was a ltttle scared...this IS the south, but I knew everything would be ok.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/11/12 - 11:36 am
The point is iLove, I

The point is iLove, I don't fear it. I don't have any more of a problem with it than I would the store clerk checking my id with the use of a credit card. Now, if the store clerk curses me, slaps me and detains me without cause, I will be fearful and angry, very, very angry. And I'll fight back, one way or another. Also, I was not directing my comments personally towards you.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/11/12 - 12:01 pm
ILove wrote "not once did I

ILove wrote "not once did I say I was against the idea..."
ILove worte "I think its a tactic to just pull someone over" Sure sounds like you don't think the idea of pulling someone over is fair and that you approve.

ILove wrote " He also was chewing tobacco and spit. . . .yes I was a ltttle scared...this IS the south" And a racist to boot! My Oh My! But you knew everything would be okay.

Somehow I think ILove isn't being very truthful.

David Parker
David Parker 01/11/12 - 12:27 pm
jeZ gonna rattle'm off

jeZ gonna rattle'm off here:

racial profiling, drugs, over-tinting windows, guns, intent to distribute are all in my "against" group.

Fair effective policework, pickin up a cousin, tinting a window within the legal parameter are all in my "for" group.

toldyaso
toldyaso 01/11/12 - 12:50 pm
Bad behavior will eventually

Bad behavior will eventually provoke an equally bad response. If people continue to emulate the ones who live on the dark side, then they should also expect to be held in suspicion. If it looks like a duck-----------.

burninater
burninater 01/11/12 - 12:51 pm
"Augusta man had 41 grams of

"Augusta man had 41 grams of marijuana"

Who cares? Legalize and regulate it like alcohol. When was the last time you saw gun and gang violence supporting the sale of a six-pack? How many kinds of dumb are encapsulated in our current drug laws?

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/11/12 - 01:20 pm
mc
mc 01/11/12 - 01:48 pm
In my opinion, if you look

In my opinion, if you look like your hiding something, most likley you are. Tint is a very easy way to hide the activity in your car. If you don't want to get pulled over for it, TAKE IT OFF!

iLove
iLove 01/11/12 - 02:44 pm
ICL, am I that stupid to

ICL, am I that stupid to leave my comments up, but DENY that I said it?

I guess there is a miscommunication somewhere.. . . so I will say, "You win...silly me!"

May God Bless You my friend!

Willow, my comments were moreso directed towards ICL, no biggie :) :) :)

@Willow I agree with your i.d. comment.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/11/12 - 03:36 pm
iLove, don't think you're

iLove, don't think you're stupid at all, just pointing out contradictions in your two statements. Yes, I would say there has been some miscommunication....care to explain why your two statements disagree with each other?

May God Bless you too, my friend, and I hope that next time you are stopped that you will thank the officer for doing his job and not complain because you were delayed. Next time it might be you needing their assistance.

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...