Augusta salon worker shoots robbery suspect

A 22-year-old is in the hospital after being shot by an employee at an Augusta business in an attempted armed robbery Tuesday.

According to Richmond County sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Carrier, Reco Casey and another person entered Salon Batique, 2620 Milledgeville Road, at 2:45 p.m. and demanded money at gunpoint.

A salon employee, Daric Johnson, 28, pulled a handgun and shot Casey in the leg. Charges have not been filed against Casey. Carrier said Casey’s condition is not life-threatening.

Authorities are searching for the second robber.

In the past week, two businesses in cities not far from Augusta have made headlines for firing back during attacks.

In Savannah, Ga., a Wendy’s employee shot and killed a robber outside the restaurant shortly before 1 a.m. Dec. 29. Two days later, in Colum­bia, a barbershop owner shot a man who tried to rob his business. The suspect was taken to the hospital with a gunshot wound.

Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Blaise Dresser said that it doesn’t appear that there is an increase in business owners carrying weapons but that there are plenty who have always been armed.

“There are lots of business owners that carry weapons, but I think that’s a small percentage of business owners in Augusta,” he said.

rmajor
rmajor 01/04/12 - 12:57 pm
Absolutely! Other folks

Absolutely! Other folks working hard for a living, but these vagrants feel they have the right to take what somebody else earned. Actually, he'd better be glad the shop owner was nice, because others would have made sure he didn't see the light of day again. Disgusting! Everybody else working, but they want to take...just lazy!

Edward1968
Edward1968 01/04/12 - 01:10 pm
I bet Reco thought at first

I bet Reco thought at first that was a hair dryer Johnson was pointing at him.

Dipshot
Dipshot 01/04/12 - 01:38 pm
seriously, when I saw this

seriously, when I saw this headline, the first thing that popped into my mind was: Butch?

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/04/12 - 01:50 pm
You go mom! “911 Tells Mom

You go mom!

“911 Tells Mom 'Do What You Have To Do': Sarah McKinley Kills Intruder Justin Martin”

“A teenaged mother shot and killed an intruder after a 911 operator said she was allowed to defend her infant son and herself with force.

Sarah McKinley, 18, killed Justin Martin with a single gunshot wound on New Year's Eve when he forced his way into her Blanchard, Okla. home and came at her with a long hunting knife, ABC News reports.”

911 recording at link:

my.voice
my.voice 01/04/12 - 02:04 pm
Just a little off the top

Just a little off the top please.....BAM!

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/04/12 - 02:11 pm
I also saw that piece on Good

I also saw that piece on Good Morning America about the mom killing the intruder. Her husband died of cancer Christmas Day. Sad. Good for her! A mom will protect her young if it kills her! Sometimes I think I should buy a gun.

allhans
allhans 01/04/12 - 02:34 pm
As tragic as it is, this is

As tragic as it is, this is what it will take for thieves to realize that they cannot take by force that which belongs to someone else.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 01/04/12 - 02:43 pm
Great work Mr. Johnson. One

Great work Mr. Johnson. One more predator who might think twice before doing this again....But I'll bet we'll be seeing his name in the near future after he's released on probation.....

allhans
allhans 01/04/12 - 02:57 pm
Well maybe next time, and

Well maybe next time, and there will be a next time, the shop owner will raise the barrel of the gun a couple of feet higher.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/04/12 - 02:58 pm
Good for the owner!!

Good for the owner!!

David Parker
David Parker 01/04/12 - 03:41 pm
shave and haircut . . . bang

shave and haircut . . . bang bang!

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 01/04/12 - 04:44 pm
They should change the name

They should change the name of the salon to "Curl Up and Dye".

Any robbers, that is.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/04/12 - 05:57 pm
WTG Mr. Johnson!! Now these

WTG Mr. Johnson!! Now these are the headlines I like reading!! More of these and maybe these lowlifes will start to get the picture!! Too bad he didn't get them both and stop them permanently!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/04/12 - 11:27 pm
I am so glad to see that "we

I am so glad to see that "we are waking up!"

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/05/12 - 02:24 am
Great to see EVERYONE fully

Great to see EVERYONE fully support a citizen who did exactly as he should do...shoot an armed criminal. The less criminals the better the world will be.

Now, next time an officer or deputy is forced to do the same thing, lets support them in the exact same manner for doing their job well instead of trying to figure out how they could have handled the call differently.

iLove
iLove 01/05/12 - 08:34 am
I agree Asitis. I guess I

I agree Asitis.

I guess I need to go check out one of these gun shows in Augusta.... seems that we have one every 3-4 months.

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 01/05/12 - 08:42 am
these fools think they have

these fools think they have multiple lives like when their playing video games instead of going to school.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 01/05/12 - 09:11 am
WHY SHOOT HIM IN THE LEG, HE

WHY SHOOT HIM IN THE LEG, HE WILL HEAL AND BE BACK ON THE PROWL AGAIN!!!! SHOULD HAVE PUT A BULLET IN HIS ARSE THAT REALLY WOULD HAVE SLOWED HIM DOWN. DARIC NEXT TIME (AND THEY PROBABLY BE A NEXT TIME) AIM HIGHER...REMEMBER "CENTER MASS" OR "HEADSHOT"

allhans
allhans 01/05/12 - 09:23 am
I doubt seriously that the

I doubt seriously that the thugs using guns bought them at gun shows.
My guess would be that they are stolen or "borrowed", but bought?..ha.ha.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/05/12 - 10:07 am
It should be taught in

It should be taught in Thuglife101: Be ready to take a bullet when you point a gun.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/05/12 - 10:19 am
I dunno, but I bet there's a

I dunno, but I bet there's a larger percentage of business owners carrying guns that most people think. Why are the sales of guns and ammo up all over America, plus more people applying for concealed weapons permits?

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 01/05/12 - 10:44 am
Another criminal treated for

Another criminal treated for a gunshot wound at local hospital. Why can't the government put a lifetime (if necessary) lien on these people's future income until the debt to the taxpayer is repaid?

A lawbreaker should not receive free medical care.

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/05/12 - 11:06 am
Business owners should carry

Business owners should carry guns and should use them to protect themselves, their employees and their property.....this may end up being the best thing to happen in a long time and may make some of these thugs think twice about going in to rob a place. I agree with you allhans, I bet most of the guns the criminals use are stolen or bought illegally. Criminals watch out, people are fighting back.....finally.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 01/05/12 - 01:18 pm
Agree with all the posts! We

Agree with all the posts! We have a right to protect our lives and the lives of our loved ones. If someone wants to hurt my family then they are going to have to "say hello to my little friend"!

REDRIDER
REDRIDER 01/05/12 - 01:37 pm
Chootem Chootem

Chootem Chootem

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/05/12 - 03:11 pm
You want to see this mom turn

You want to see this mom turn into a lion, just threaten my family or home. No more Ms. Nice Gal. Glad to see this turned out in the possible victim's favor for a change.