Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man arrested after assault on father and setting woods on fire

Monday, Dec. 19, 2011 11:13 PM
Last updated Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011 12:25 AM

A man is in Richmond County jail after assaulting his father and then setting the woods on fire.

Benjamin Hamilton, 25, got in an argument with his father Robert Hamilton at a service station. He then followed him home and when they got there, the younger Hamilton grabbed his father by the throat and pulled him to the ground where he began kicking him, according to Richmond County Sheriff’s Lt. Robbie Silas.

Hamilton then lit some brush on fire outside the residence on the 3200 block of River Watch Parkway. Because the fire did not damage any structures, the arson will stay a misdemeanor. However, on the way to the station, Hamilton kicked out the back window of the police car. He now faces a felony charge, damage to government property.

Silas said the father did not require hospitalization.

REDRIDER
REDRIDER 12/20/11 - 07:59 am
I wish I could give my Dad a

I wish I could give my Dad a hug. He is no longer with us. This chump tried to kill his own Dad.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 12/20/11 - 08:42 am
What happened? Did pawpaw get

What happened? Did pawpaw get tired of propping up his sorry son?

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/20/11 - 08:56 am
What a sad story, I agree

What a sad story, I agree redrider, I wish my father was here to hug also....

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/20/11 - 11:05 pm
REDRIDER and stillamazed, I

REDRIDER and stillamazed, I agree, may mine and yours rest in peace.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 12/21/11 - 02:59 am
Where is the KKK when we need

Where is the KKK when we need it?