Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Victim testifies Dean touched her, exposed himself

DEAN DENIES ALLEGATIONS

Former Harlem Mayor and Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean, accused of molesting one of five adopted daughters, denied any kind of inappropriate kissing or touching after he took the stand Tuesday.

Back | Next
Former Harlem Mayor and Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean wipes away a tear as Judge Jim Blanchard dismisses the jury for the day. Dean is accused of molesting one of his five adopted daughters.  JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF

His denial during his trial’s second day came after the girl testified that Dean crawled into her bed and touched her vaginal area.

Dean, who met the children at an orphanage in Guatemala in 2004 and 2005 before he and his wife adopted them in 2008, said cuddling in bed with the children, including the older girls, was normal.

“All the girls had adjustment issues,” Dean said, adding that he, sometimes his wife or their oldest daughter, Marlin, would curl up in bed with the others as comfort. “We would lie and a lot of times we would talk.”

The girl named as the victim, Dean said, had night terrors for months after arriving at their Harlem home.

“(I would) try and hold her,” he said. “Try and put my arms around her and hold her.”

On another occasion, the teen testified, Dean approached her in a bathroom, opened the towel he was wearing and told her he wanted to have sex.

Dean said that his daughter might have seen him run to the laundry room in a towel but that he never exposed himself to or made advances toward her.

The teen is now in counseling and testified that she has never denied the allegations against Dean.

At a pre-trial hearing Monday, Marlin said she had lied about such activity while she had run away to Mexico to garner sympathy and get money from her family.

The younger girl said Tuesday, however, that she told Marlin that Dean had touched her but left out details out of fear.

The girl also testified that Dean treated Marlin, now 18, “like she was his girlfriend or wife.”

Dean said Marlin has always been affectionate.

“She loves to hug,” he testified. “She loves to hold a hand. It reassures her because she’s still got confidence issues.”

In cross-examination, the younger girl admitted she didn’t get along with Dean’s wife, Renee, and wanted to run away with her sister. She stayed in the home after her sister ran away because Marlin said she’d have a better life here.

She also said she chose to live with foster parents after her initial interviews in October 2010 because she feared Dean would touch her again. But by then, Dean was already removed from the home by a court order and not allowed to return, said his attorney, Pete Theodocion.

On Monday, Superior Court Judge James G. Blanchard Jr. ruled that Assistant District Attorney Parks White could present evidence that Dean committed similar sex acts against other underage girls. West Virginia twin sisters testified that Dean, then 14, molested them when they were 12.

No charges were filed in those cases. Dean testified that it was his first sexual experience and that it was consensual.

The trial is expected to resume at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.

allhans
allhans 12/14/11 - 09:46 am
Even if found innocent, I

Even if found innocent, I doubt that the Deans would be eligible to adopt children ever again.

drivenslow
drivenslow 12/14/11 - 10:05 am
excellent folks go back and

excellent folks go back and read all the comments and you will know and understand WHY child molesters can do what they do for so long and get away with it all of you are convinced the children are LYING......i think running away to mexico is pretty extreme....remember this girl isnt from mexico

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/14/11 - 11:32 am
allhans, said "I can't

allhans, said "I can't imagine any family wanting to adopt in the future if this proves to be a false claim."

allhans, I don't see this situation as any concern for future adoptions.
I would hope, though, that most parents (adopted or otherwise) would have the foresight to know that getting into bed to cuddle with teenagers sends a very confusing messsage; particularly to a child that one had not raised from a baby and established a trust.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/11 - 11:44 am
Old lightpole, Ben Harbin

Old lightpole, Ben Harbin just testified as a character witness for Dean. Funny that Mike Sleeper his old campaign manager and close friend didn't.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/11 - 12:24 pm
Willow, I understand your

Willow, I understand your thoughts on this but I will have to disagree. I have two teenage sons and although my youngest is a loner and not much on affection, my oldest is. He still loves to snuggle or love on me and there have been many of nights he has crawled across my bed to talk about things going on in his life and what's bothering him. The confusing message may come from the environment in which these girls were raised (abusive) and maybe the Dean's were just trying to love all the hurt away. I believe the article stated that him and his wife would cuddle with the girls and expecially the younger one who is the victim and said she suffered terrible night terrors. What parent that loves their children (natural born or adopted) wouldn't want to cuddle/snuggle and comfort a child. I would pray that this was done out of love and genuine care for the child and not something sick and demented.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/11 - 01:02 pm
Ashley Wright is taking the

Ashley Wright is taking the stand for the prosecution. Wowza. This is something.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/11 - 01:12 pm
THE SURPRISE!!! Ashley

THE SURPRISE!!! Ashley Wright.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/14/11 - 01:37 pm
I thought the prosecution

I thought the prosecution rested its case yesterday?

easy breezy
easy breezy 12/14/11 - 01:59 pm
So ready for this trial to be

So ready for this trial to be over!! Nauseating!!

mll
mll 12/14/11 - 02:17 pm
Trial should be over

Trial should be over momentarily...the closing arguments have begun.

mll
mll 12/14/11 - 02:18 pm
Andrew: Were you a witness?

Andrew: Were you a witness? Truth? Proof? As the movie line goes...."Show me the money"

AndrewLafa
AndrewLafa 12/14/11 - 02:26 pm
Actually, mll, yes, I do. I

Actually, mll, yes, I do. I was also backing up what Austin Rhodes was saying, but his comment was deleted as well.

David Parker
David Parker 12/14/11 - 03:22 pm
After everything is said and

After everything is said and done and all the actors go through their scenes, in the end, nobody can be sure that the "judgement" they came to personally, reflects the actual events. There are ALWAYS possible facts that are unproven and evidence that is proven inaccurate. The best way to determine if you believe someone is innocent or guilty (and some will laugh this off) look at their eyes. They give it away. I know what I see and there isn't a need for a battery of tests and there's no need for someone to corroborate one person's story in a daisy-chain of pieces trying to make a whole.

Do I think Dean is guilty? I don't have to answer that. One of the perks of not being a judge. But I can say his eyes reveal the answers here.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/11 - 04:13 pm
Once Theodocion opened the

Once Theodocion opened the can of worms about Dean's character, it allowed the prosecution to come back with their own examples of character even though it wasn't directly related to the case. Thus Ashley Wright was called as witness. What she said, I have no idea. The DA's office could have had this planned. Nice.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/14/11 - 04:43 pm
ICL, nothing wrong with

ICL, nothing wrong with showing parental affection. I think we are speaking of different scenarios. My teen crawling up on the foot of my bed, to discuss her/his day, shows they have a trust relationship with me and the affection is their choice, their terms. A much different scene than the afore mentioned one, again, particularly with a teen of the opposite sex. I made my comment in respect to allhan's regarding this spoofing people against adoption and it shouldn't. Not relating my comment to the Dean family as I don't know what actually took place.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/11 - 07:35 pm
MLL said last night,

MLL said last night, "Riverman1 I am happy to share all the inter-court activity with you and anyone else. Especially since you can't be bothered to attend, even though this seems to be the most important event in your life."

As far as this being the most important event in someone's life, I wasn't the one sitting in court all day AND posting comments here. It looks like it's far more important to you. Good luck to you, no matter the outcome and I sincerely mean that.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/11 - 07:47 pm
I'm curious if the judge gave

I'm curious if the judge gave the media instructions to keep things quiet until after the verdict? Radio commentary seemed subdued also. Anyone care to comment? There has been little reporting of what Wright and others said. I also notice the comments are being carefully moderated.

New SafeHomes facility breaks ground

SafeHomes of Augusta broke ground Thursday on a larger facility that will allow the nonprofit agency to house more than twice the number of clients than its current shelter can hold.