Potential jurors questioned for trial of ex-commissioner Scott Dean

Monday, Dec. 12, 2011 11:03 AM
Last updated 11:26 AM

Potential jurors are being questioned this morning for inclusion in the trial of former Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean, accused of molesting his adopted daughter last year.

Former Commissioner Scott Dean (left) confers with legal team this morning.  JIM BLAYLOCK/ Staff
JIM BLAYLOCK/ Staff
Former Commissioner Scott Dean (left) confers with legal team this morning.

If a jury is seated from among the 36 potential jurors called, the trial in the case could get under way as early as this afternoon. One juror already has been dismissed after saying he had already formed an opinion in the case and couldn’t be swayed.

Dean, 42, is accused of exposing himself to and inappropriately touching his daughter last year. She is one of five children Dean and his wife adopted in 2008 from Guatemala.

Dean, a former District 4 commissioner, resigned after being indicted on two counts of child molestation in February. He pleaded not guilty.

The case has been listed on Superior Court Judge James G. Blanchard Jr.’s calendar several times but was postponed each time. Prosecutors have said continuances are common in complicated or major cases.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 12:55 pm
I don't think this case is as

I don't think this case is as complicated as the prosecutor is letting on. It's a simple "he said, she said" case with no physical evidence.

checkitout
checkitout 12/12/11 - 01:01 pm
I do not think Scott did this

I do not think Scott did this and I bet he is wishing they have left those girls in Guatemala. It is a shame that the girls would do this the his family after everything he and his wife and family have done for them. I remember how excited they was to adopt these children now it is sad from the turn out.

my.voice
my.voice 12/12/11 - 01:35 pm
This will be a very

This will be a very complicated case to try because of the very reasons LL mentions. I'd hate to be on this jury.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 02:13 pm
Weren't there two daughters

Weren't there two daughters involved?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 02:15 pm
Mike Sleeper certainly

Mike Sleeper certainly completely cut his ties with Dean after Textgate. He quit as Dean's campaign manager almost immediately.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/12/11 - 02:22 pm
Riverman1, you seriously have

Riverman1, you seriously have a fixation concerning Mr. Dean's "Textgate". Get over it dude. Okay, the man might be the worse husband and adulterer on the face of the planet but that is not evidence that he is a child molester. So his character is flawed, how many other men have cheated on their wives. Not justifying it but dude you have a serious issue with this, you have brought it almost every time you have posted on this other issue. If Mr. Sleeper cut ties with Mr. Dean maybe he didn't approve of the adultry, that is his right but using it as proof that Mr. Dean is guilty of this because he was guilty of being unfaithful is a bit of a stretch.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 02:28 pm
ICL, well, I don't mean to

ICL, well, I don't mean to upset you with this issue, but it is in the news. We all have opinions. So get over it, dudess. I wonder what the W.Va incidents with the two girls there are about? Have any idea?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 02:32 pm
The story yesterday said,

The story yesterday said, "The prosecutor also alleges that between January and October of 2010 Dean attempted to commit incest with two of his daughters, one of whom is the alleged victim in the child molestation case."

The story also brought up the textgate: "Dean was re-elected as the District 4 commissioner in November 2010 despite being accused several months earlier of sending inappropriate text messages to a married county employee."

So argue with the paper, not me. Pray for them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 02:45 pm
Very interesting and

Very interesting and revealing comments. Thanks to all.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/12/11 - 03:02 pm
If the prosecutor says he

If the prosecutor says he attempted incest with two of his adopted daughters, why is there only one charge of child molestation? Why not two?

Riverman1, I'm not trying to argue with you or anyone else. All I'm saying is you might have a right to speak your opinion but after about the zillionth (exaggerated) time, it becomes annoying, especially when it has nothing to do with this child molestation case. Yeah, we know he doesn't appear to be a great husband, but that does not mean he isn't a good father. It will truly be sad if it comes out that what "checkitout" suggested, that it was a false accusation by a desperate child to stay with her sister, is true.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 03:09 pm
ICL, if we are going to say

ICL, if we are going to say certain posters say too much about a particular subject and that irritates others there may be a line in front of me as far as who it applies to most. You may even be up ahead.

quarksandsoul76
quarksandsoul76 12/12/11 - 03:19 pm
I seriously hope that some of

I seriously hope that some of you people do not have children that ever have to rely on you if they experience something like this themselves. I'm not saying he is guilty...but I certainly will not say the children are lying.

ProudAFL
ProudAFL 12/12/11 - 03:20 pm
This case is not near the

This case is not near the scope of the Penn State scandal but people thought a lot of Sandusky (or at least didn't voice their disapproval) because of his ties to Penn State and his charity work. Just because you are one way outside of the home doesn't mean things are perfect inside.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/12/11 - 03:26 pm
Riverman1, that may be so,

Riverman1, that may be so, but as far as this case is concern, you take the front of the line. Being that I would wager your comment count far exceeds mine, dont' believe I would be up ahead of you, but then that is only my opinion.

quarksandsoul76, my prayer is that no child should ever have to go through something like this, but I know that is not reality. In this case, I hope he is not guilty and that whatever the issue is can be worked out within this family. If he is guilty, then I hope he's put away for a long time and this child can move on with her life.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 03:29 pm
ICL, okay...but we should do

ICL, okay...but we should do a study of posters with obesssions. Heh, heh, heh. They have interesting characteristics. But I take no offense to anyone saying I've posted a lot about Dean. Thanks. Now if you care to discuss anything specifically about the case, let's have at it and keep it on subject.

allhans
allhans 12/12/11 - 03:57 pm
The subject grabs our

The subject grabs our attention. Yikes. Did I say that?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 04:06 pm
Do I ever lie to you guys? Do

Do I ever lie to you guys? Do I have a track record of bringing facts and pertinent points to the discussion? Am I respectful to other views? (Even if you don't agree, don't say anything now, heh.) So I'll be honest here. I'm doing my level best to seriously taint the jury pool. Good enough for ya?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 04:35 pm
I looked up the word 'incest'

I looked up the word 'incest' in the dictionary. Did you know that it comes from the Latin castus? That's also where we get our English word 'caste' to describe conditions in India. The root word clearly implies a hereditary angle to the word. So, technically, if you have sex with a non-related adopted person, it would not be incest. Now I'm no lawyer — the legal system may have a different definition. But you may want to check out your dictionary to see if I'm missing something.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/11 - 04:36 pm
If you THINK you know all the

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 04:37 pm
ICL wrote If the prosecutor

ICL wrote

Because "attempted incest" is not child molestation. The article in yesterday's paper said the prosecutor is choosing not to charge Dean on the attempted incest complaints.

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/12/11 - 05:23 pm
Who - are - his -lawyers?

Who - are - his -lawyers? Been trying to find out for a week. AC please publish this info.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/11 - 05:30 pm
Pete Theodocian is working

Pete Theodocian is working for Scott Dean.

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/12/11 - 05:44 pm
Mr. Rhodes: (If you THINK you

Mr. Rhodes:
(If you THINK you know all the evidence that will be presented in this case, I would suggest you are mistaken.)

Probably the best reason in the world for people to resist speculation on these charges. If it turns out this man is innocent; the public's trial and conviction will still ruin him. If he is guilty, then let the evidence show it and give him his just punishment.

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/12/11 - 05:47 pm
Can't help but wonder his

Can't help but wonder his relationship with his wife at this point.

inittowinit13
inittowinit13 12/12/11 - 06:10 pm
As far as knowing the facts

As far as knowing the facts to be presented....court is open to the public and hearing testimony as opposed to listening to media interpretations might be a GREAT idea for some of the folks on here.

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 12/12/11 - 07:20 pm
If Austin says that there is

If Austin says that there is much more to this, then I believe him:
A) he posted the same a year ago and has been consistent
2) he is not using a pseudonym and therefore is putting his name AND reputation/credibility on stage
D) he knows a lot of people who know a lot of people and has probably heard many claims, some substantiated and some unsubstantiated, and, for those wondering, "why hasn't he reported any of it?", perhaps it just was not "newsworthy" or simply deemed "a private matter".

Whatever the case may be, I think that Austin's statement has merit and should be taken to heart. Who knows what evidence will be presented and if the admissible evidence will convince the jurors that Dean is guilty OF THE CHARGES OF WHICH HE IS ACCUSED, and guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

My questions surrounding this case are; Dean claims complete innocence yet he has a high-priced attorney who has some high-profile clients serving pretty long sentences. How can Dean pay him? Who is paying him? If you are so innocent, why get a high-priced attorney who has tried high-profile cases and whose clients are serving big chunks of time?
The people have been claiming from day-1 that this case is a slam-dink dead-to-rights we have it in the bag blah blah blah. That being the case, why so many requests for delays? Why test the limits of the Sixth Amendment?
Why has the judge permitted so many delays? Yes, the prosecution and the defense must agree to them, but, the judge has the black robe and the gavel and can simply say "no".

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 07:22 pm
It appears Dean went to court

It appears Dean went to court today sans the bleached hair. Good move on his part.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/12/11 - 08:44 pm
"Dean is accused of molesting

"Dean is accused of molesting one of his five adopted Guatamalan children"

"Dean was indicted on molestation charges in February"

"Prosecutors in the child molestation case against former Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean "

"...resigned after being indicted on two counts of child molestation in February"

Little Lamb,Because "attempted incest" is not child molestation "

Dean is not being charged with incest he's being charged with child molestation and if there were two daughters who were victims, why only one charge?

SouthernChic
SouthernChic 12/12/11 - 09:33 pm
Riverman1: It appears Dean

Riverman1: It appears Dean went to court today sans the bleached hair.

Nope, still bleached, just not as light. See the dark roots? But at least he's not wearing jeans this time.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 09:41 pm
Southernchic, it looked

Southernchic, it looked darker on TV. Maybe it was my TV.

Lee, asks a good question. Where is all the money to pay the high priced lawyer coming from?

2.1% inflation expected

ATLANTA -- Business executives in the Southeast see inflation a little higher than the Federal Reserve does, according to a survey released Friday.