Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Neighbor fires 100 shots near, but not at, Aiken County school

Nothing damaged; no one hit

Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011 5:47 PM
Last updated 10:36 PM

A shooting near Oakwood-Windsor Elementary School was still being investigated Tuesday night, but police suspect it was a neighbor shooting on his own land, not at the school.

Around 4 p.m., the 25 children and a few teachers still there for after-school programs were locked in the school while the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office investigated, Capt. Troy Elwell said.

A teacher said she saw a man near U.S. Highway 78, close to an entrance to the school and then heard shots. Elwell said she apparently put the two together.

Police searched for the suspect, bringing in K-9 units, but discovered no evidence that someone was trying to shoot the school. Later in the evening, deputies received information that a neighbor had fired off more than 100 rounds on his property, which is legal. The shooter was about 300 yards from the school, Elwell said.

happychimer
happychimer 12/07/11 - 06:28 pm
It should not be legal.

It should not be legal.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/07/11 - 06:37 pm
Happy, my gun range is a

Happy, my gun range is a quarter of a mile from a school and many times a month hundreds of rounds are fired. So you want to ban me from doing that! yea right!

happychimer
happychimer 12/07/11 - 07:06 pm
1/4 mile away is different

1/4 mile away is different than right next door. We have a man up from us that complains that he is on hard times, but he was shooting for hrs. everyday. Then people complained, and now he shoots maybe 5 or 10 minutes a few times a week.
It should be against the law to target shoot close to homes and schools.

KSL
KSL 12/07/11 - 08:09 pm
I don't know what the problem

I don't know what the problem is if he is not firing in the direction of the school or any homes. Heck, I live in a subdivision. When my boys were young, they got their nerf football caught up in a tree. My husband "shot it down" with his 12 gauge shotgun. The ball had a few holes in it, but it actually was easier to throw with a little medal in it.

happychimer
happychimer 12/07/11 - 10:57 pm
It's noise pollution. Hearing

It's noise pollution. Hearing constant gunshots is not peaceful.I don't like the sound, and I don't trust those who shoot everyday for hrs. What are they training for? The man up from us got a lot of complaints, and sheriff dept. was called by different people in the neighborhood. One gunshot fell in a neighbor's yard right next to a vehicle, and if it had hit the vehicle, there would have been a war.