Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman robbed at gunpoint outside Augusta Mall

Monday, Dec. 5, 2011 10:13 PM
Last updated 10:17 PM

A woman was held up outside Macy’s at the Augusta Mall around 7 p.m. Monday, police said.

Richmond County sheriff’s deputies said Brenda Hall, 61, was walking outside the department store when a small, blue vehicle pulled up and the passenger jumped out with a black handgun and demanded money.

When she did not immediately give him any, he took her purse, which she had thrown on the ground.

arealist
arealist 12/05/11 - 11:16 pm
As if I needed one more

As if I needed one more reason not to go to that gang hang out...

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 12/05/11 - 11:29 pm
The mall should be renamed

The mall should be renamed maul.

raul
raul 12/05/11 - 11:31 pm
Description?

Description?

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 12/06/11 - 01:36 am
First three stories on the AC

First three stories on the AC website are about robberies...Hmmmm.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/06/11 - 05:46 am
This is in Joe Bowles 3rd

This is in Joe Bowles 3rd District I think.

Brad

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/06/11 - 06:27 am
GEEZ...It isn't going to

GEEZ...It isn't going to stop,is it..

Stakeouts & shoot to kill orders are needed.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/06/11 - 06:29 am
This is going to get worse,

This is going to get worse, glad I don't need anything from the mall.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 12/06/11 - 06:38 am
Anyone want a gift card? Not

Anyone want a gift card? Not worth the hassle to go to the mall anymore; not to mention the danger.

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 12/06/11 - 06:53 am
And they're surprised Cyber

And they're surprised Cyber Monday is so huge... The next mall will likely go between Evans and the lake.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/06/11 - 07:12 am
I started carrying my cards

I started carrying my cards in a small wallet similar to a cell phone case. I have no purse when I go to the mall so two hands are free. I so wish some punk in Augusta would try me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/06/11 - 07:21 am
SeenIt, so you sold your land

SeenIt, so you sold your land up I-20. Interesting.

david jennings
david jennings 12/06/11 - 07:32 am
I'm just going to tell

I'm just going to tell everyone I didn;t do any Christmas shopping because I was too afraid to go out. I'll be home cowered in the corner with my shotgun, so you better knock and announce.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/06/11 - 07:36 am
RM...Troublemaker......zip

RM...Troublemaker......zip it....ya know how loose lips sink ships!

countyman
countyman 12/06/11 - 07:46 am
I've never seen people so

I've never seen people so afraid of everything in my life.. Armed robberies are at a three year low in Augusta, but some people may you think it's on the rise or at a all time high..

The Chronicle did a 12 month study at shopping areas around Augusta, and including the Augusta mall. The most common crime at the mall is shoptlifting, followed by property theft..

''At Augusta Mall, however, shoplifting is the highest incident of crime, followed by property theft. Peebles said places that draw a lot of people usually have crime. He said incidents in these entertainment and shopping areas get more media attention, which causes a false perception of high crime.''

The chronicle study definitely doesn't sound like the place some of the people on here are describing.. Then again the same people say they don't visit the mall..

Oh, and developers aren't building enclosed malls anymore.. The next large shopping center is located in West Augusta(Village at Riverwatch).. The Carmax area is also located in West Augusta..

Robberies have occured at both the Walmart shopping center, and Mullins Crossing in Evans before.. I don't know why you think a mall located in Evans wouldn't have crime.. People from outside the county would still visit the mall..

madgerman
madgerman 12/06/11 - 07:58 am
Maybe the sheriff needs to

Maybe the sheriff needs to remember this is the holiday season and reassign some of the huff and puff to road patrol duty. Of course that would mean hotseating some of the crruisers that are parked in Columbia county residences. Why are only about 40 -45 percent of available resources assigned to road patrol?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/06/11 - 08:00 am
Oneday countyman will see a

Oneday countyman will see a waving gun in his face....& then he will GET IT!!
When you experience it first hand & your friends-kin constantly tell you of their fear ofcrime.....it MATTERS.....
I have a friend still suffering from her attack at MCG--friends who BOLT down their farm equipment on Willis Farm---kin had to bolt down tv in patio off of Wheeler---friend robbed while walking around Baker ave--
sisters business on Telfair had to replace AC copper 3 times & finally bolted & fenced in.....etc.etc.etc,

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/06/11 - 08:03 am
I'm not even mentioning the

I'm not even mentioning the home breakins around Hy 1& wheeless rd..

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 12/06/11 - 08:53 am
and we make it a note to

and we make it a note to complain about other countries and their terrorism. no place on earth(except africa) has huge amounts of crime as the usa. maybe we can keep the soldiers employed as they depart the wars to police our streets. our police are too low on personnel to combat these local terrorists. the public is tired of all of this crime, 90% coming from the welfair sector. someday a war will probally break out with normal tax paying citizens vs the panhandling citizens and their government backers

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/06/11 - 08:54 am
uh oh...countyman is in the

uh oh...countyman is in the house. He must not have read my comment on the other article about crime 'downtown.'

allhans
allhans 12/06/11 - 09:03 am
The mall is probably no more

The mall is probably no more dangerous that any other location. Think about it. This is happening all over the place.
How many is it now at the mall and it is a huge place.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/06/11 - 09:20 am
Stealing always increased

Stealing always increased this time of year. The deadbeats need money to buy Christmas gifts. Been going on as long as I can remember.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/06/11 - 09:22 am
Exactly, JRC. And the first

Exactly, JRC. And the first gift they buy is usually for their mama — you know, the one who told them to be a good boy!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/06/11 - 09:23 am
countyman said, "The Carmax

countyman said, "The Carmax area is also located in West Augusta."

Yes, there is a car lot named Carmax in West Augusta....and....

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 09:56 am
Maybe it's like seenit said,

Maybe it's like seenit said, when I deal with it first hand then I'll be scared, but I've lived in the Augusta area (Columbia and Richmond counties) for over 25 years and never had so much as an item stolen from my yard, home, etc. I go to the Augusta Mall once, sometimes twice a week and never been accosted in the parking lot, never had my vehicle broken into, never had anything happen......

Not only at the mall but any place, be aware of your surroundings, if possible shop in pairs, stay out of dark unlit parking areas, and if you really feel uncomfortable, there are security guards who can walk you to your vehicle.

This time of year, crime ALWAYS rises and with the economy it seems to be more so, but

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/06/11 - 10:25 am
ICL...You have been

ICL...You have been lucky...when your home is invaded by some jerk it takes months B4 you can relax again.....That happened off Wheeless Rd area.....& other things taken too from outside the home but even then I still wanted to stay in my home.
But I did notice that some in the area of Augusta also fought section 8 housing near their homes.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 10:46 am
Guess that's true seenitB4

Guess that's true seenitB4 and blessed that we live in a pretty descent neighborhood in south Augusta. Most of the neighbors on our street are home owners or have been there for several years.....none of the riff-raff moving in and out. Not to say it's not in our neighborhood but not in the area/streets around our home.

MrMatthews
MrMatthews 12/06/11 - 11:08 am
junkyardpig. Can you think of

junkyardpig. Can you think of something that relates the criminal population with Africa? Take a look at cities with the top 10 or top 20 crime rates and see what they have in common.

This is not a problem that the police can solve.

Crime and self-destruction are in the culture of the class of people that make these crime headlines in the paper. The ways to solve these problems are not politically correct, and therefore wouldn't be a possibility without forced implementation.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 12/06/11 - 12:35 pm
ICL "riff-raff" can run

ICL "riff-raff" can run like you know what, they don't have to live in the neighborhood.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/06/11 - 12:37 pm
True TrulyWorried, but I'd

True TrulyWorried, but I'd rather take the chance of them not coming into my neighborhood inside of having to live right next door to them and almost guarantee having to deal with them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/06/11 - 04:52 pm
Countyman wrote: The most

Countyman wrote:

The most common crime at the mall is shoplifting, followed by property theft.

Maybe I'm just not that well educated, but I fail to appreciate the subtle difference in shoplifting versus property theft.