Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Sexual assault reported at Augusta YDC; director fired

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has been brought in to assist in the investigation of a sexual assault at the Augusta Youth Development Campus.

In addition, campus Director John Brady was fired Monday, according to Emily Gest, the Department of Juvenile Justice’s director of communications. She declined comment further.

According to a DJJ statement concerning the assault, a 14-year-old reported he was assaulted by a 17-year-old about 5:20 p.m. Sunday.

The 14-year-old has been treated and returned to the facility on Mike Padgett Highway.

The incident is not the first of its kind reported at the Augusta YDC, according to documents obtained by The Augusta Chronicle. Two cases of youth-on-youth sexual acts and one case of abusive sexual contact have been reported this year.

Additional precautionary security measures are being taken at the campus, the DJJ statement says.

The GBI also continues to investigate circumstances surrounding a youth’s death at the YDC last month.

Jade Holder, 19, was beaten in his cell Nov. 7 and died the next day. Michael Jarod Everidge, 17, was charged with the crime.

Marlon McCreary Sr., a guard at the facility, was fired Nov. 10. Heather Gates, another security employee, was suspended with pay Nov. 9 because of possible employee misconduct, according to department records. Capt. Victor Martin was suspended with pay for possible employee misconduct the next day.

McCreary’s termination was directly related to the death; DJJ did not clarify whether the suspensions were related.

NEW DJJ HIRES

ATLANTA — Republican Gov. Nathan Deal has picked one-time statewide Democratic candidate and former legislator Carol Jackson to join the Department of Juvenile Justice on Dec. 16 to lobby her former colleagues on his behalf.

Jackson, a Cleveland Democrat, served in the Senate from 1999-2005, when she sought her party’s nomination for secretary of state. She lost to fellow legislator Gale Buckner, who lost in the general election.

Jackson’s hiring was announced Monday, along with that of Shawanda Reynolds-Cobb as deputy commissioner, Tracy Masters as legal-services director and Diane Avery as constituent liaison and the promotion of Deputy Commissioner Jeff Minor to assistant commissioner.

“I look forward to utilizing their talents and skills as we face challenges and enhance DJJ all while helping the troubled youth we serve …,” Jackson said.

– Morris News Service

Chillen
Chillen 12/05/11 - 01:20 pm
My kids played video games,

My kids played video games, hung out with their friends and played sports when they were 14.

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 12/05/11 - 02:58 pm
Yeah but something weird

Yeah but something weird happened in America about three years ago that gave most kids the feeling of entitlement so they think it is ok to be thug and get a free ride.....right to YDC !

happychimer
19392
happychimer 12/05/11 - 03:39 pm
A 14 yr. old should not be

A 14 yr. old should not be assaulted at YDC no matter why or how they got there, The ones assaulting have to be stopped.

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/05/11 - 03:58 pm
Sex assault is prison?

Sex assault is prison? Rare....

corgimom
corgimom 12/05/11 - 06:39 pm
A whole lot of the kids at

A whole lot of the kids at YDC are already hard-core criminals, complete with full-blown anti-social personality disorders.

YDC is not a gathering of Sunday School lads. It is a juvenile prison for juvenile criminals and should be considered as such.

I'm just wondering how offenders are supposed to be "stopped". They are there in the first place because of their abnormal behavior and their inability to function in society, remember?

Where do you think all the juveniles go, that commit sex crimes?

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 12/05/11 - 06:40 pm
Happychimer, I agree 100%,

Happychimer, I agree 100%, that subject hits very very close to home but not at a prison! That same 14 yr should be home doing what Chillen and my kids were doing at 14...safe at home playing games and being a kid, not trying to be a thug and getting himself in that situation!

happychimer
19392
happychimer 12/05/11 - 09:20 pm
As usual, most of you blame

As usual, most of you blame the victim. No matter why they are in prison, they are suppose to be guarded and kept safe. what if the victim was your son? Would you blame him for being killed or sexually assaulted? I think your tune would change.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/05/11 - 09:30 pm
"As usual, most of you blame

"As usual, most of you blame the victim..."

Ummm, reading ALL the posts I did not find even one posited that, and in point of fact the majority said this boy should be at home and no one opined he deserved to be raped; quite the contrary. Perhaps that's just your fantasy justification of feigned moral superiority. But I must point out, however cruelly, this youth was in this dangerous environment not because he was swept up off the street on his way to choir practice.

KSL
KSL 12/05/11 - 10:13 pm
When I was growing up, a lot

When I was growing up, a lot of these people were still children and not exposed to this. We have a problem with society, and I don't mean keeping children in the dark. That was a problem then.

A child should not be at YDC at the age of 14. The problem started at home. And if he is not reared right by his parents and winds up at WDC, then so be it.

I happened to have an experience with a young man who as a grammar school aged child she tried to help. He had the nasty habit of breaking into our house and stealing money and food. Despite that, my mother gave him odd jobs for spending money and took him food to eat, especially at supper time. He still kept breaking in and stealing our allowances and whatever else. It went on for over a year. My mother took him supper after supper to make certain he had enough to eat. Then one day, after hiring him to work for us doing yard work, he started chasing me. I was in the 8th grade, he was in the 9th, but supposed to be in the 10th. I had to take refuge in one of the cars parked out front and lock the doors, but not before he reached through the window and scratched my wrist before I could get the window rolled up. That was the end of my family trying to help him.

happychimer
19392
happychimer 12/05/11 - 10:14 pm
It does not matter WHY the

It does not matter WHY the victim is in jail. He is a sexual assault VICTIM.Yes the victim is a criminal, but that fact does not mean his punishment should be a sexual assault. Like I said, if the victim was you loved one, you would be singing a different tune.

rmajor
rmajor 12/05/11 - 10:38 pm
You know what? For whatever

You know what? For whatever reason these incidents are in the media, but it's not like these incidents haven't gone on for years. I have an acquaintance who's son got into some trouble and was at the jail on Walton Way. I would go see him often, he was 18 at the time, and I worried about him all the time because of what I have heard about prisons. I have a good friend who is a police officer, and she said, to be honest, even though he had only been there 2 weeks, it doesn't take long to happen. She said the guards aren't around all the time. They can get taken while they are in recess...of course in the showers, etc. The guards can't be everywhere. They aren't waiting for night time when everyone expects these things to happen...they happen whenever there is an opportunity. Regardless of how these young people got in this situation, if there are rules that things should be locked. At the very, least, protocol should be followed. If someone wants to do some devilment...they will. However, I think all protocol should be followed by those employed there. It doesn't matter whether they think that they are getting paid well or not. How many Americans will agree that they are getting paid what they think they are worth? It's a job and if you are going to work there, the accountability and integrity just tells you to do your job to the best of your ability, nothing more or nothing less.

KSL
KSL 12/05/11 - 10:56 pm
Why the heck was in in jail

Why the heck was in in jail in the first place? In this day and age he should know what faced him if he was convicted.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/05/11 - 11:50 pm
"Like I said, if the victim

"Like I said, if the victim was you loved one, you would be singing a different tune."

How different? No one so far has suggested in any way he deserved to be assaulted. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 12/06/11 - 12:39 am
dstewartsr, I'm confused

dstewartsr, I'm confused too....! I wouldn't wish a sexual assault on anyone, except for someone who sexually assaulted someone else. Having said that.... all these little thugs and wanna be thugs should take notice of what could await them in jail.

specsta
specsta 12/06/11 - 01:07 am
Just because a child is in

Just because a child is in juvenile detention does not mean that they lose their rights as human beings. Sexual assault has no place in juvenile detention or any other jail/prison for that matter. Sanctioned torture and abuse is a human rights violation. Folks are imprisoned for a myriad of crimes and accusations; and I firmly believe it ought not be this way - jail and prison should be for violent offenders - not someone that shoplifted a candy bar or walked across someone's private property.

This country's solution to everything is to "lock 'em up". That approach has failed miserably and has only succeeded in giving the US the dubious distinction of locking up more of its citizens than any other country on the face of the planet - most for non-violent offenses.

A 14-year-old child in juvenile detention should not have to worry about being locked up AND being raped as a consequence of being incarcerated. This should never be allowed to happen in a society that calls itself civilized.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 12/06/11 - 02:08 am
What percentage of the young

What percentage of the young folks locked up in the facilities operated by the GDJJ lived with their male progenitors at the time of their incarcerations?

corgimom
corgimom 12/06/11 - 04:41 am
"Sexual assault has no place

"Sexual assault has no place in juvenile detention or any other jail/prison for that matter."

Sexual assault has no place ANYWHERE, not just in prisons. And just like it can't be stopped outside of prison, it can't be stopped inside of it, either. The only way to stop it in YDC is to place each child in an individual cell for 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, a juvenile Pelican Bay. Who would advocate that?

Sexual assault isn't about sex; it's about power, control, and rage. I repeat- a whole lot of the YDC inmates are there because they cannot control their abnormal behavior in the first place. Why would anyone expect model behavior from people who have already displayed anti-social behavior?

As I stated earlier- where do you think all the juveniles go, that commit sex crimes?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/06/11 - 06:06 am
If society doesn't discipline

If society doesn't discipline criminals, the criminals will discipline society.

I bet that if we built a huge tent city outside of town and had these little lumps of gold on a chain gang cleaning up the hoods they came from in pink jumps suits 12 hours a day seven days a week every day of the year (including holidays) for their entire sentence that we would not have so many folks thinking it was 'cool' to get to go to jail.

I am sure you all feel this was an isolated incident, but I it happens 99 times before the one gets reported. So the problem is much worse than this story even lets on to. I knew an investigator who worked for the state, he was a good freind, he was down a few years ago and told me some horror stories about this place.

If the sheriff gave me the job as jailer, I would go to Ft. Gordon and ask the base commander for some surplus tents, concertina wire and portable camp support equipment.

Then I would build me a nice little work camp out past McBean and we would take all the offenders that needed to be 'reformed' in to help them find redemption. I can assure you they would never want to come back to my work camp again and would do whatever they had to do to not get sent there once they spent some time with me.

The answer is to make punishment a punishment, not a street cred building experience but one of back breaking work to pay back society for thier crimes. I want the nasty ones, the worst in the system, the cases that need to be punished so I can clean the entire county with their sweat.

Hard work, discipline and a FEAR of what will happen if they commit crimes again is what these people need.

Coddle them to your own peril,

Brad

corgimom
corgimom 12/06/11 - 06:50 am
Brad, no, not all of us think

Brad, no, not all of us think it was an isolated incident. YDC has never been a good place to be. There are some really disturbed, maladjusted juveniles in that place.

YDC is for the hard-core, the ones that have committed felonies. It's not for kids who swipe a Hershey bar from Wal-Mart.

madgerman
madgerman 12/06/11 - 07:53 am
So the DJJ has problems

So the DJJ has problems monitoring juveniles in Augusta and Deals solution is to hire more supervisors in Atlanta? Who is watching these little angels and just how much freedom of action are they allowed to have in doing their duties? Are the psychologists and judges making rules that give the angels more privacy to protect their rights or what. I say get rid of the medical and legal experts and hire some adults that know how to discipline and guide kids.

blues550
blues550 12/06/11 - 08:28 am
YDC has been a joke for

YDC has been a joke for years, as has the "criminal justice" system in general. Here is my plan:

1. Except for violent crime you get caught, you go to jail and you get back into society as quickly as possible.

2. You get caught and convicted a 2nd time you go back to jail with no possibility of parole or early release. You are there for the entire time of sentence.

3. You get caught and convicted a 3rd time you're off the streets - forever.

Would this cause overcrowding of the system? You bet put only for a few years. Prison populations are over burdened with repeat offenders. You would have short term crowding but the long term would be less people in prison.

happychimer
19392
happychimer 12/06/11 - 09:08 am
specsta I agree with your

specsta I agree with your 1:07 am

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/06/11 - 09:35 am
Brad I like your idea but I

Brad I like your idea but I would also give them a buzz cut so they would all look the same. Coddeling these criminals doesn't do them any good. Hard labor is good.
As far as that goes I like the idea for the adult prisoners also. We could have a clean city. Also, no one deserves a sexual assault and the one doing the assulting should be locked away 24/7.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/06/11 - 09:35 am
All I want to know is if they

All I want to know is if they charged the 17-year old for this incident and why isn't his name released? He is technically considered an 'adult.' Maybe releasing his name will prevent a future incident.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/06/11 - 09:36 am
Charge him with this new

Charge him with this new crime and move him over to the adult jail.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/06/11 - 09:37 am
Patty-P, it would also let

Patty-P, it would also let his friends know what a perverted person he is.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 12/06/11 - 09:48 am
I'm confused. They say they

I'm confused. They say they fired this director over this sex case, but they had already announced that Jones was picked to be the new director? Sound like this was already done regardless of the sex at the YDC.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/06/11 - 10:13 am
JRC2024, Yes, I want to do

JRC2024,

Yes, I want to do this for ALL convicts in RC. Hell, I would accept them from surrounding counties too.

Make my camps the CSRA dumping ground for all the needed human repairs.

I can bet you one thing, after about the second or third day they would know the meaning of hard work and discipline.

And I agree, shave their heads and issue them pink jumpsuits.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/06/11 - 10:30 am
Thats what I'm thinking JRC.

Thats what I'm thinking JRC.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/06/11 - 11:37 am
B Owens, (6:06) As always you

B Owens, (6:06) As always you have the 100% solution in correcting the misfits of our society, but Liberal minds and bleeding hearts among us will prevent it.

Yes, nobody deserves to be sexually assaulted but I look at this case in a different light. The 14 year old who experienced a little "Deliverance" episodes is still alive and maybe with this moment in his life will make up for all the lack of discipline and upbringing, which no doubt he never received in his 14 years, will make him a better person who will live within the law.....and then maybe not.