Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Inmate from Augusta fatally stabbed

Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2011 12:15 PM
Last updated 10:04 PM

An Augusta man sentenced to 10 years in prison in August died during a fight at Smith State Prison on Monday night.

Few details have been made public on Brandon Helm’s death at the Glennville, Ga., facility. Georgia Department of Corrections Spokeswoman Kristen Stancil said information could not be released because of the ongoing investigation.

Helm, 20, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Brandon Taylor through the window of Taylor’s home on Jan. 26, 2010.

Helm, a member of the Georgia Deadly Boys gang, told authorities he was seeking revenge after being shot at by members of the Pepperidge Thugs the previous day. Taylor held a position of leadership in the opposing gang.

At the time of his arrest, Helm had already been charged for a February 2009 burglary.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/30/11 - 02:27 pm
It is sad but this happens

It is sad but this happens often, they kill each other on the streets then they kill each other in prison.

madgerman
madgerman 11/30/11 - 03:14 pm
Well at least the people in

Well at least the people in pepperage won't have to worry about their kids being shot or their home being robbed by this one. From the looks of things he got what he was due (member of a deadly boys gang) and probably tried to be super thug in jail.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/30/11 - 04:43 pm
I have said before that this

I have said before that this gang lifestyle has been glamorized by Hollywood and music videos, now they all want to be gangsters. It is still sad though to see young men dying in the streets regardless of their race and there are plenty more out there to take his place, he is but one of many. They apparently need direction in their lives, not to say the ones who were raised well can't stray, but I think a lot of them maybe did not have enough discipline at home and probably no positive male role models.

southernguy08
southernguy08 11/30/11 - 05:53 pm
Sad...just sad. Brandon, I

Sad...just sad. Brandon, I hope you're at peace now, and that God is merciful. I send condolences and prayers to your family.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/30/11 - 07:42 pm
That's one way of imposing

That's one way of imposing the death penalty.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/01/11 - 01:31 am
Stillamazed i agree with you

Stillamazed i agree with you 100%.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 12/01/11 - 03:19 am
And the gang-bangers and

And the gang-bangers and their wannabes will continue to sow mayhem among the elderly, female and juvenile residents of the areas in which they stay after their eventual releases from jails and prisons.

TK3
TK3 12/01/11 - 09:33 am
When is somebody going to

When is somebody going to figure out that if you can't even be secure in jail that more and more will resist arrest using violence in order to stay out.

AugustaBall
AugustaBall 12/12/11 - 04:09 am
At first, i was going to

At first, i was going to give madgerman the "business" for their ignorance. But then, I would appear to appeal to the same insolence. Stillamazed, your comment is so true and on point, that I will now pursue my career in youth counseling and social work to assist at-risk youth. I myself have been thru all the same roads as these young men involved, and I too believe that all they need is guidance and someone like myself to give them hope. Chuuuuuuuuuuuuch.... lol