Man flees Augusta Fresh Market after failed holdup

Sunday, Nov. 27, 2011 3:19 PM
Last updated 9:08 PM

A man tried to rob the Fresh Market, 2701 Washington Road, at gunpoint Sunday afternoon, police said.

A Richmond County sheriff’s report says a man knocked on the office door and, when it was opened, he pushed his way in. The man ordered the two people in the office to the floor at gunpoint and demanded money. When the victim said she did not have the key to the safe, the man fled.

The suspect was described as black with a light complexion, 6 feet tall, 160 pounds. He was wearing a multicolored, striped jacket that is predominantly orange, an orange hat and baggy pants, and he had a small silver handgun, the report says.

The robbery happened at 2:13 p.m., according to the report.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/27/11 - 03:27 pm
Prison issue orange?

Prison issue orange?

Crime...coming to a location near you, folks, a concealed weapons permit is easy to obtain. We have local firing ranges where you can learn to shoot, or check into the Appleseed programs for good training. Arm yourself, it's going to get worse.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/27/11 - 03:28 pm
Say what....the Fresh

Say what....the Fresh Market.....Sunday afternoon........crime is name of the game...work has gone byebye.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/27/11 - 03:43 pm
I think there is a great

I think there is a great message in this...we should prepare ourselves for what is coming. I am thankful that no one was hurt.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/27/11 - 03:51 pm
Crime will be everywhere -

Crime will be everywhere - thanks to our justice system.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/27/11 - 03:59 pm
It is getting to the point

It is getting to the point that it isn't safe to go anywhere. As seenitB4 pointed out, this was at 2:30 in the afternoon. This is a very busy location, if it can happen here at this time of day, it can happen anywhere. For many years when my husband wanted to teach me to shoot, I was too scared. Glad I got over that a long time ago.

Chillen
Chillen 11/27/11 - 04:01 pm
Crime will be everywhere -

Crime will be everywhere - thanks to the politicians and our rapidly failing economy.

Augusta Citizen is right. It's going to get worse. Make sure you are armed and prepared to defend youself!

Chillen
Chillen 11/27/11 - 04:01 pm
Crime will be everywhere -

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/27/11 - 04:16 pm
I was just in the Fresh

I was just in the Fresh Market the other day. I love that place and to hear that it's been the victim of a robbery makes me sick! Maybe I'll take Chillens advice and arm myself before it's too late.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/27/11 - 04:19 pm
Willow, I hope you are

Willow, I hope you are preparing yourself and I hope that you (and Patty and seenitB4) are able to shoot if you need to. Don't be a victim, ladies!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/27/11 - 04:36 pm
citizen...I have a 38.....I

citizen...I have a 38.....I know how to shoot(took lessons)& it goes with me when traveling....
But it is sad in todays world......that we have to arm ourselves all the time.....I was just reading on google about what causes it....how it has increased ....& until something DRASTIC happens it won't get better...
of course men are more likely to commit violent crime than women & some will say testosterone levels are the cause of that & also the battle for females.....I can't post everything on here cause it just wouldn't be PC.....
But my question is...Will it EVER get better as years go by or will it get worse?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/27/11 - 04:42 pm
Where is countyman to tell us

Where is countyman to tell us how this doesn't matter and happens all the time?

Home invasions...shootings...armed robberies in broad daylight.

Not good.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/27/11 - 04:51 pm
Brad, he probably won't

Brad, he probably won't comment on this one. Sad that businesses and their employees here have to deal with stuff like this. They are working trying to make an honest living.

Black Mamba
Black Mamba 11/27/11 - 04:52 pm
You are not the land of the

You are not the land of the free when you are afraid to open your door after dark; when you are afraid to drive your car unless you have a gun in the glove box, when you are afraid to take your family to a park unless you have a weapon on you. Living in fear of everyone and being afraid to drive your own roads or walk your own neighborhood is not freedom. Americans are prisoners of fear. They are not free.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/27/11 - 04:59 pm
BMamba....When I lived in

BMamba....When I lived in Fleming more than 30 years ago.....we were safe to walk the streets--- to the store---kids walked almost everywhere.....guns were not needed so much....maybe for hunting....
Do you want to guess what changed???

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/27/11 - 05:02 pm
Arm Yourself: Yes, if you

Arm Yourself: Yes, if you are a law abiding citizen, you should learn to shoot well, train at least a couple of times per year, get a concealed weapons permit and carry a firearm. If you don't think it can happen at anytime, anywhere then look no further than this article.

Be Aware: Know your surroundings, watch where you park and know who is around, stay in lit area, have your keys ready, etc. Night time driving, don't pull up close to the car in front of you...leave an escape route if needed to prevent a carjacking. Don't make yourself and easy target.

Patty P is correct: The legal justice system is failing us miserably. I would gladly place a large bet that if/when this person is arrested, he will have a past criminal history and should be in jail already. We must lobby our legislators to have mandatory strong sentencing for violent criminals and repeat offenders to stop these liberal judges from allowing criminals to use our justice system as a revolving door.

Support Law Enforcement: While the police will never be able to solve everything, police presence combined with community policing and visibility is a strong deterrent. This simply is not possible in Richmond County with the massive cuts to law enforcement over the past few years. The RCSO is undermanned, underfunded and with the current pathetic salaries, benefits and furlough days, the turnover rate will remain high and those applying for jobs that are capable and ready to start work will be very minimal.

Make your opinion known: Our commissioners and Mayor ARE NOT making Public Safety a priority in any way, shape or form and our judges need to hear directly from you. Contact them via phone, US Mail or Email - contact information is below:

Mayor: http://www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?nid=194

Commissioners: http://www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?NID=652

Judges: http://www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?nid=1429

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/27/11 - 05:35 pm

Thank you so much Augusta Citizen for your concern. My Dad was both military and law; and I believe he taught me well. I try not to put myself in situations where I could become a victim; however, it now appears that anytime, anywhere we go, we are vunerable. So, yes, against my desires, I am armed and should I be forced into pulling it out, it will be for the purpose of shooting, as my Father taught me...to completeness. It makes me very sad to even say those words.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/27/11 - 05:42 pm
Asitis....at a time when

Asitis....at a time when crime is up and funding for law enforcement is down, legislators are now looking at making changes to the justice system and the way offenders are sentenced. Actually this will work in favor of the criminals, as they are considering raising the threshold in sentencing/incarceration for non-violent offenders. I don't think this will make things better at all in most cases. We already have a lax system and keeping people (repeat offenders) out of jail just to save money is a drastic move in my opinion.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 11/27/11 - 05:44 pm
Does the Augusta National own

Does the Augusta National own that piece of real estate? Even if they don't, armed stick-ups directly across the road would not be welcomed, I don't imagine. During Masters week, the National Hills Shopping Center, including the Fresh Market, is a focal point for golf patrons and is extremely busy. It would do the city of Augusta no good at all if the immediate vicinity around the Green Monster came to be viewed as a dicey area which is susceptible to crime.

I imagine considerable energy will be expended in tracking down this perp and he can probably look forward to some serious jail time.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/27/11 - 05:51 pm
Fresh market? Wow.

Fresh market? Wow. Organic-ized crime...

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/27/11 - 05:54 pm
Black Mamba, living in

Black Mamba, living in fear is nothing new; people have lived in fear since the beginning to time. Since there are 365 verses in the Bible for fear, I believe that God gave us a verse for every day of the year. Our road to complete freedom, is living in the moment by moment abundency of life, that our God has promised for us, right here, right now, regardless of our circumstances. Our God is still in control, regardless of what any robbers are out doing.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 11/27/11 - 05:58 pm
Very interesting. In broad

Very interesting. In broad daylight no less. Criminals seem to be getting more brazen, or more stupid. Either way, it's best to be armed, ready and able to use a weapon in order to avoid being a statistic.

Jane18
Jane18 11/27/11 - 06:07 pm
Yes, seenit, it is going to

Yes, seenit, it is going to get worse. It's the times we live in, and politically correct or not, it's the no-goods of this world that are making it dangerous and deadly for us that work, try to do the right thing for family, the needy,and our country. But, I know someONE is coming one day that will be worth it all...........hang in there!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/27/11 - 06:11 pm
I understand Willow, my

I understand Willow, my father was a Marine and he definitely taught us to use our common sense and stay out of bad situations (situational awareness?). My husband took the next step and made me shoot and bought me a gun. I don't like the thought of having to have one all of the time, but it is what it is. This robbery at the Fresh Market sure brings it home.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/27/11 - 06:12 pm
Jane18, yes, He is coming!

Jane18, yes, He is coming!

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 11/27/11 - 06:15 pm
After watching the "black

After watching the "black friday" craziness I remarked to my wife that a food or fuel crisis would be more than a single Glock could handle. A mob would be overwhelming to the pistol toting citizen. With that in mind I will be upgrading. Drastically. About like fighting zombies except they will be screaming for big tv's and iphones.

Jane18
Jane18 11/27/11 - 06:16 pm
I agree everyone(sensible,

I agree everyone(sensible, mature) should know how to handle a weapon and should carry some means of self defense. My Daddy also taught my sister, my brother, and me how to handle a gun as children and to this day we carry a weapon at all times(yes, I have a permit, for years and years).

fatboyhog
2082
fatboyhog 11/27/11 - 06:23 pm
The economy may play a small

The economy may play a small role in these crimes, but I doubt that the economy is the real reason. The criminals aren't stealing because they are hungry or need money to pay bills. These punks want drugs. They want nice clothes. The majority of them are too lazy to work. It's easier to steal than it is to work. They have to have the latest styles to "fit in." They have no morals. They only know one way. They need to learn that law abiding citizens are tired of it.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/27/11 - 06:32 pm
walrus4ever, zombies would

walrus4ever, zombies would want food, water and meds. The Black Friday craziness does show much about human nature. If people will beat each other up and trample folks for a cheap waffle iron or a discount on a big-screen TV, what would they do for food?

lsmith
lsmith 11/27/11 - 06:41 pm
I guess they've finally woke

I guess they've finally woke up to the fact it might be more profitable holding up a Fresh Market as opposed to a Family dollar store. Washington Road cultural demographics have changed dramatically over the last few years. I think a prudent move for shop keepers would be to bar entrance to anyone wearing a "hoodie". These people are not favoring this apparel to make a fashion statement.

Vito45
Vito45 11/27/11 - 07:33 pm
Too bad someone wasn't

Too bad someone wasn't standing behind him.

I edited out the rest to save Sean the trouble.