Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

$1k in gift cards stolen

Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2011 3:31 PM
Last updated 9:32 PM

Authorities are searching for a woman who stole $1,000 worth of gift cards.

According to an incident report, the woman entered Kroger, 3435 Wrightsboro Road, around 3 p.m. Sunday and asked a cashier for two store gift cards for $500 each.

The cashier activated the cards and handed them to the woman before receiving payment, police said. The woman then explained she had left her checkbook in her vehicle and handed two gift cards back before exiting the store. Authorities said the woman had replaced the activated cards with two empty cards.

The activated cards were later used at a location in Aiken.

happychimer
happychimer 11/22/11 - 06:21 pm
The cashier could have been

The cashier could have been new. I worked as a grocery store cashier for 8 yrs. and I never gave anyone anything they did not pay for. I scanned everything that could be scanned.

bclicious
bclicious 11/22/11 - 10:18 pm
I think it would be awesome

I think it would be awesome if Kroger's could some how deactivate those cards. I think it would be even more funny if they could associate some kind of an alert with those individual cards.

allhans
allhans 11/22/11 - 11:51 pm
Cashiers are trained to never

Cashiers are trained to never deliver a card without the payment in hand. The cards should not have been validated without CASH payment. To even accept a check in advance for payment would be like cashing a check without verification.
This stinks but perhaps a badly trained employee. It sounds a bit like scams pulled by the bunch in a neighboring county.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 11/23/11 - 08:14 am
This does not pass the smell

This does not pass the smell test................................

D.B.
D.B. 11/23/11 - 09:42 am
Pretty slick,but they will

Pretty slick,but they will get what's coming to them.

reality_bites
reality_bites 11/23/11 - 11:41 am
Since my previous post

Since my previous post offended someone, I will just say this whole thing is hinky!!!!! LOL

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/23/11 - 02:39 pm
I wonder how many $500 gift

I wonder how many $500 gift cards are floating around. It would seem that these cards would be easy to identify.
OOPS, Maybe not.They have already been used

allhans
allhans 11/23/11 - 04:34 pm
I would never have thought

I would never have thought that it is so easy...