Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

17-month-old child, 2 adults shot in their Augusta home

Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2011 4:07 PM
Last updated 10:30 PM

A 17-month-old child and two adults were shot during an apparent home invasion around 2:40 p.m. Tuesday, police said.

Back | Next
Investigator Paul Godden searches outside a home where a man, a woman and a 17-month-old were shot.  Chris Thelen/Staff
Chris Thelen/Staff

Nathan Johnson III and Shaneshia Smith, both 27, were sent to Medical College of Georgia Hospital and were stable. The toddler was critical but stable, according to a news release from Richmond County sheriff’s Sgt. James R. Kelly.

Investigators say the three victims were inside a house in the 1000 block of 13th Street, when two black men wearing masks went in through the front door, shouting and pointing guns at them. The intruders shot all three and ran out the door again, the release says.

The house is at the intersection with Dugas Street. The 1200 block of Dugas Street was cordoned off with crime scene tape Tuesday night.

There were numbered markers all over the nearby sidewalk, and three crime scene investigation vehicles and a dog unit had responded.

The investigation was still in its early stages, the sheriff’s office said Tuesday night.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/22/11 - 06:18 pm
It never stops...:(

It never stops...:(

eb97
eb97 11/22/11 - 06:30 pm
How bad does it have to get

How bad does it have to get before money is approved for needed police.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/22/11 - 06:31 pm
Very sad. One of the victims

Very sad. One of the victims was a small child.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/22/11 - 06:31 pm
And the beat goes on... Hope

And the beat goes on...

Hope the victims recover.

eb97
eb97 11/22/11 - 06:32 pm
I guess the mayor feels

I guess the mayor feels getting a new ball field will resolve the crime problem in Augusta. Our tax money needs to be directed toward safty and education.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/22/11 - 06:48 pm
eb97....it's all about the

eb97....it's all about the money.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/22/11 - 07:48 pm
They've updated since I last

They've updated since I last read the article, my heart breaks to think an innocent 2 year old child has been shot, who the heck would shoot a baby??? Sick, just sick.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/22/11 - 08:04 pm
augusta citizen....apparently

augusta citizen....apparently someone with no conscious.

Vito45
Vito45 11/22/11 - 08:27 pm
eb97, what would more police

eb97, what would more police have done to stop this? The crime problem runs a lot deeper than adequate law enforcement personnel.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/22/11 - 08:49 pm
That bunch of criminals

That bunch of criminals deserve no mercy! Shooting a baby? Come on, somebody knows something, turn these heartless bums in!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/22/11 - 09:03 pm
These mutts are either total

These mutts are either total monsters or too stupid to remember that a 17-month old baby wouldn't be able to identify them.

Nah. They're both: totally stupid monsters. And they're unlikely to get what they truly deserve.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/22/11 - 09:42 pm
And if crimes like this come

And if crimes like this come from drugs, why don't we have more drug busts in RC? It almost seems like it is being allowed to happen. I hope the baby will be okay.

Pu239
Pu239 11/22/11 - 09:38 pm
Sounds as if a message was

Sounds as if a message was delivered.....

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/22/11 - 09:49 pm
What we need is more prisons

What we need is more prisons and more judges that know how to use them. More cops are always a good thing but they can't prevent crime. What prevents crime is locking up criminals the first time they do something and throwing away the key. Catch and release is great for fishing but it don't work for scum sucking thieves and violent criminals.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/22/11 - 09:53 pm
dichotomy....won't work - too

dichotomy....won't work - too many bleeding hearts out there. I bet whoever did this has a criminal history.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 11/22/11 - 10:41 pm
Everytime I hear of another

Everytime I hear of another invasion....it makes my chest hurt and my throat close. I'm raising a 3 1/2 yr old right now who was 3 months old when his father was murdered by 5 teens. But, by the grace of God, he is alive. I can only pray for our country to be safe...I just can't find it in me to pray for any mercy on anyone who would hurt people...and especially children.

allhans
allhans 11/22/11 - 11:07 pm
Early afternoon. Both are

Early afternoon. Both are home. No way this was random.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/22/11 - 11:25 pm
What's the motivation?

What's the motivation? Apparently, it was not robbery.

cityman
cityman 11/22/11 - 11:39 pm
Federal housing project

Federal housing project culture!

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 11/23/11 - 12:33 am
Same story.....Different

Same story.....Different address. This happens about once a week here in Augusta, and it is in just a few neighborhoods. Entitlement programs and lack of values are what cause crimes like these. Liberals have worked very hard for the past 40 years to destroy families and create a dependent society....Of course the liberals do NOT live in the world they created and only care about the votes they receive so THEY can live their lives of luxury. Wake up inner cities! You have been used.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/23/11 - 06:32 am
Savages. To shoot a baby is

Savages. To shoot a baby is savage.

And it doesn't matter what was going on, you don't murder babies over drugs or money.

This is a tragedy, and I think the time to say enough is now. Get the sheriff the support he needs to protect folks.

And I don't want to hear, (said in best whiney voice you can muster) "It's not the police, even if we had 100 more deputies crime could not be prevented..."

Yeah, well if there was a cop in the front lawn this would not have happened, so we need to return to community policing and saturate these areas with deputies to get this under control.

I guess until we have these things happen in the Hill area and Connifer Place we won't see a focus on this now will we, but those parts of town are well patrolled anyway, which help PREVENT crimes.

I hope Deke REALLY enjoys his new $100,000.00 a year PR position he got in the budget this year, while the people are suffereing and the Sheriff's office gets cut anothe million dollars this year.

Augusta needs leadership and a focus on PUBLIC SAFETY.

I wonder why public safety is not more important than Deke's PR person?

Brad

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 11/23/11 - 08:28 am
if they come my way, they

if they come my way, they dont have to worry about prison or youth prisons, they will die! thats what its coming to. mamas, dont let your kids grow up to be thumpers(remake of willie nelson cowboy song)

mjoe5
mjoe5 11/23/11 - 08:36 am
@ Brad, The Hill area Brad is

@ Brad,

The Hill area Brad is patrolled just like other areas in this community. I guess what makes us different than other areas is that we continue to stay vigilant and watch out for each other and actually report crimes and report suspicious behavior. We don't take it laying down. Not only do we report it to the police but to each other. We are aware of crime and have been targeted. Believe me. We have had our share of crime! So don't go wishing it on us, that is not the attitude that this community needs. I work hard volunteering my time in crime ridden areas and hope that someday that this ridiculous crime will stop. People in all areas need to become more vigilant and actually start reporting the people who are committing these heinous crimes. Someone somewhere knows these thugs that committed this crime. Report it! Communities need to stop waiting on the police to solve all their problems. Safe neighborhoods aren't created by the police....it's the citizens responsibility too.

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 11/23/11 - 08:37 am
Seenitb4, It will not stop

Seenitb4, It will not stop until the liberal bleeding hearts stop crying capital punishment is cruel, the liberal judges say cook them or put them to sleep perm, and people learn to use and possess firearms and protect there selves. My stays on my belt the whole time I am awake. Never know when a two legged rattlesnake will come in the house and I have to kill it. The legal system is not helping the bankrupt country and states and counties holding the idiots for years at some of them over a million dollars per year.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/11 - 08:41 am
mjoe....I do

mjoe....I do agree...neighbors looking out for each other solves many problems...we do that in this area too.

travisp73
travisp73 11/23/11 - 08:42 am
Blame the fire dept.....

Blame the fire dept.....

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/23/11 - 08:50 am
dichotomy and Brad are both

dichotomy and Brad are both right. We need more officers out on a beat and more sub-stations in areas that have high crime. Thugs will not be as brazen when they know law enforcement is being taken seriously, but also, once arrested and convicted, they need to be given real sentences and should be made to serve them. We have a problem in both lack of police presence and lack of these nuts being put away.

sugarbutton, may the Lord bless you and your son, I'm sorry for your loss.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/11 - 08:54 am
riverrunner....I don't see

riverrunner....I don't see your post on the thread...but I do agree with you..

david jennings
david jennings 11/23/11 - 08:58 am
Thanks mjoe, finally

Thanks mjoe, finally something that makes sense.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/23/11 - 09:20 am
Brad, I live in the area you

Brad, I live in the area you are talking about and we have calling post which calls everone in the neighborhood association when a crime is committed or about any odd activity. We also have had a person going in homes and stealing the pocketbooks in the Forest Hills area where my mother lives and that is just a hop from the substation at Daniel Village.. Crime does happen in thesse areas but it is being done by people that do not live there.