Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Flimflam gets money from North Augusta woman, 79

Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011 9:13 AM
Last updated 2:42 PM

NORTH AUGUSTA — A 79-year-old Augusta woman contacted North Augusta Public Safety after she gave two women $500 when they promised to return the favor with $25,000.

The victim told authorities the two women approached her outside Kmart on Martintown Road about 4 p.m. Wednesday and told her they had found some money. The women promised they would give the victim $25,000 if she could prove she also had money.

Police said the victim allowed one of the women to ride with her to a Fifth Third Bank location in Augusta, where she cashed a check for $500.

After returning to Kmart, the women explained they would have to show the $500 to Mr. Cramer inside the store before the $25,000 could be released, police said. The women returned and said Mr. Cramer was ready to meet the victim.

She told authorities she was unable to locate anyone named Mr. Cramer. When she returned to the parking lot the women were also gone.

The victim described the women as two black females between the ages of 45 and 60. Both were wearing wigs – one black, one blonde.

55 F-100
55 F-100 11/10/11 - 10:22 am
Children, you need to take

Children, you need to take special care of your parents in their golden years to keep them away from vermin who prey on their trusting nature!

cytoranger
cytoranger 11/10/11 - 10:35 am
Wow, so sad as most elderly

Wow, so sad as most elderly live on a tight budget. My mom is 70 and very giving and trusting as are most from her generation. We try to moniter her closely but I could see how this could happen . This is hard and hewrtbreaking lesson. I am so sad.for her.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 11/10/11 - 10:39 am
Filthy scum...here's a curse

Filthy scum...here's a curse that the money you stole will bring you nothing but pain and sorrow and that you will suffer daily in your useless little lives.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 11/10/11 - 11:37 am
There is NEVER a reason why

There is NEVER a reason why you need to give ANYONE any cash until you have spoken to SEVERAL PEOPLE about what they are saying. A wise woman seeketh many council.

allhans
allhans 11/10/11 - 01:40 pm
How can a person fall for

How can a person fall for this scam. It has been around forever.
"If it sounds too good to good to be true....."

Why would I think that people would share found money with me?
Of course they are not.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 11/10/11 - 01:53 pm
allhans I agree with you to a

allhans I agree with you to a point...but the elderly are from another time...and do not think rationally in some instances....to prey upon them is an abomination.......

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/10/11 - 02:44 pm
I am 87 and very fortunate to

I am 87 and very fortunate to be of sound mind and body. Several times a year someone tries to scam me. Usually, they are people who appear to be legitimate. I get a big kick when they scamper off when they determine that I am no pushover.

BamaMan
BamaMan 11/10/11 - 03:22 pm
Sounds like the same duo that

Sounds like the same duo that has been at Wal-mart in Evans. Thank God my mom was smart enough to not give them a thing! She was 82, and they came up to her at her car telling her how beautiful she was, yada yada yada. Stories are quite similar. Columbia County Sheriff's office actually has a picture on their wanted list of the two. Yes, the more trusting generation. Too bad those days are gone. I'm glad the lady is only out $500. It could've been MUCH worse.

Dixieman
Dixieman 11/10/11 - 06:08 pm
One of the oldest scams in

One of the oldest scams in the book.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/10/11 - 06:15 pm
What a shame that anyone

What a shame that anyone would do something like that to the elderly. They, too will be old some day. Let's hope karma comes back and bites them in the....wallet.

Riverman1
81974
Riverman1 11/10/11 - 06:22 pm
"The Sting"

"The Sting"

Riverman1
81974
Riverman1 11/10/11 - 06:24 pm
My mother got scammed

My mother got scammed (actually robbed) by people from "the church."

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/11/11 - 12:27 am
My mother is 90 and wise.

My mother is 90 and wise. Thank goodness for her and she also doesn't need any money. That scam usually works on someone who doesn't have much and sees a big paycheck. I hope the two have sad and bad days ahead of them.