Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman shot in chest in south Augusta

A woman at Fort Gordon’s Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center told police she was shot in the chest while riding in her vehicle in the 2800 block of Old Barton Chapel Road about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday.

According to Richmond County deputies at the scene, the woman was taken to the hospital by her husband, who was driving when the shots were fired. A bullet hit the passenger-side windshield.

The only witness was a friend of the victim who was driving behind her. When the friend heard gunshots, she called the victim’s cellphone, and the victim said that she had just been shot.

The witness said the suspect fled on foot. Two shell casings from a large-caliber handgun were found at the scene. Other gunshots were heard in the surrounding area, police said.

The injuries appear not to be life-threatening.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 11/10/11 - 03:50 am
Somebody needs to go to

Somebody needs to go to jail... Wish we had a description of the shooter.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/10/11 - 06:36 am
I think last year they had a

I think last year they had a few cars that were getting shot at by juveniles in that area. The drama never ends on the Southside.

trailblazer
trailblazer 11/10/11 - 07:40 am
At Burger King or riding in a

At Burger King or riding in a vehicle????

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/11 - 07:51 am
Like I have said

Like I have said B4......South Augusta needs a few stakeouts...it would only take a few to turn the tide.....just saying.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/10/11 - 07:55 am
seenit...I've been saying the

seenit...I've been saying the same thing.

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 11/10/11 - 08:11 am
the kids on this side of town

the kids on this side of town are allowed to run loose without parental supervision. of course the parents also need parental supervision

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/11 - 08:28 am
I know patty..... I can tell

I know patty.....
I can tell you for a fact it worked in the past....if the leaders in South Augusta demanded it I believe more would be done...but they have to forget pc policing & let the tough days happen....thugs only understand force/tough policing........they have to be skeeered & worry about getting caught.

david jennings
david jennings 11/10/11 - 09:14 am
As a resident of

As a resident of comm.district 4, or I think soon to be 5 who knows, there is a lot I could say about the area. There are a lot of good people in the area that have sadly, seen the investments they made back in the 1980's and 90's ruined by those with no respect for civility.
It is sad this type behavior has become less than rare in Richmd. Co., Columbia Co., the state of Georgia, South Carolina nearly the entire country. I wish I had the answer, I wish someone had the answer, but then people would find it unconstitutional or politically incorrect. We have more important things to worry about.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/11 - 09:34 am
Jennings ....I also lived in

Jennings ....I also lived in 30906...many happy years I might add.....near Hy 1& Wheeless Rd.........The answer is there to the problem & pc should be thrown out the window.....let the police do their job...the black leaders have got to DEMAND more TOUGH policing in that area...everyone suffers when thugs are in control.
It would help if JOBS were available to the youth in the area...decent paying jobs.......I think the south area will come back & prosper.

BamaMan
BamaMan 11/10/11 - 09:58 am
Hence why we left 30906 in

Hence why we left 30906 in 1980.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/10/11 - 12:18 pm
seenitB4, my children and I

seenitB4, my children and I fled our home near Hwy 1 and Wheeless Road because of the same problems. People that reported problems seemed to be viewed as a nuisance instead of respected for doing the right thing. When firemen, policemen, and other law-abiding upstanding citizens were moving all the way out to Grovetown from our neighborhood to get away from inconsistently addressed problems, and being targeted by criminals for reporting them, then it is time to move. Unfortunately, the problems are still too close for comfort. Someone broke into a neighbor's house this month, as I was sitting a few feet away in my own home.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/10/11 - 01:37 pm
Once again, no description

Once again, no description given.....how is the public going to help when we never get descriptions of the criminals?

allhans
allhans 11/10/11 - 01:55 pm
I think we have some smarts

I think we have some smarts cops and they are fleeing the area also.
More dangerous for them maybe than for us.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/10/11 - 04:36 pm
Sometimes knowing who is

Sometimes knowing who is doing stuff like this doesn't help. Many of the perps are never even arrested or charged with anything. I think it's just the way people feel about the area and the people. It's a shame. I've never lived anywhere like this. It is a very unsafe area but the only people who care about it are those that have to deal with it. Everyone else turns a blind eye. Sad because the trail of violence doesn't just stay on the SSide. No one is immune.

PrayN4U
PrayN4U 11/10/11 - 04:54 pm
I still say, if you want

I still say, if you want things to get better, "TELL THE POLICE ON THE ONES WHO ARE COMMITTING THE CRIME". Don't complain if you just gossip among yourselves and never make an effort to make it better. Fear is what keep criminals with the power to continue. Take back your neighborhoods by telling on the law breakers. Sooner or later the doors you are hiding behind will be broken into by the same criminals you see and pretend not to see.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/10/11 - 05:32 pm
PrayN4U....like I said

PrayN4U....like I said before, telling the police who is committing crimes mostly does NOTHING in RC. Then some of the ones who get caught are right back out on the street.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/10/11 - 05:48 pm
45 caliber. Lucky lady.

45 caliber. Lucky lady.

iLove
iLove 11/10/11 - 07:05 pm
iWonder...what if she was

iWonder...what if she was shot while riding on Washington Rd. ....would the headline then read "Woman shot in the chest in west Augusta?

The area only got this way when the powers that be wanted to change the makeup of DT and moved many if not all to the "south side"...I also wonder what the data is on how many section 8 homes are in each "area" ( east south west) of Augusta.

I'm glad she will be ok.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/12/11 - 05:53 pm
Prayn4U I have a stack of

Prayn4U I have a stack of police reports from reporting. it wasn't enough.