Judge says mom who killed kids will stay in hospital

Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2011 11:54 AM
Last updated 8:03 PM

A request to move from hospital supervision to a more relaxed group home was denied Wednesday for a woman who stabbed her two children to death in 2007.

Back | Next
Jeanette Michelle Hawes was denied a request to move from hospital supervision to a more relaxed group home.  CHRIS THELEN/STAFF
CHRIS THELEN/STAFF

Augusta Circuit Superior Court Chief Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet said he wasn’t comfortable granting a petition by Jeanette Michelle Hawes that she be taken out of the hospital. He expressed concern that her mental condition remains balanced only with medication.

“I’m just concerned about putting her in a less restrictive environment,” Overstreet said. “We know what she’s capable of.”

Doctors determined that she suffered a psychotic breakdown Nov. 29, 2007, when she repeatedly stabbed Shakayla Hawes, 3, and Jordan Hawes, 1, in a gas station bathroom on Lumpkin Road. Overstreet found Hawes not guilty by reason of insanity at a bench trial in January on charges including murder.

Hawes was involuntarily committed to Georgia Regional Hospital in Savannah, where she was diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Two years of medication and counseling have stabilized her mental condition, two doctors at the hospital testified Wednesday.

In their opinion, Hawes no longer meets the criteria for in-patient civil commitment.

Assistant District Attorney Pittman Morris pressed the point that her medication is solely responsible for her improved condition. In October 2010, doctors reduced the dosage of one of her drugs, which produced a psychotic episode after six weeks.

Dr. John Prather, a staff psychi­atrist, said Hawes suffered grandiose delusions that she was
married to professional football player Michael Vick and that Michael Jackson was her father. He described her as “hyperactive,” “angry with staff,” and “suspicious of others” and said she approached some of the staffers in a physically threatening manner.

Mental health specialist David Ethridge said that the episode was a learning opportunity and that doctors now know not to alter her medication. He testified that staffers at the group home were trained to look for signs Hawes wasn’t taking her medication and that there were safeguards to prevent a similar episode.

He also said she was willing to take birth control medication to prevent her from having any more children.

Overstreet wasn’t convinced, however, that sufficient precautions were in place to take Hawes out of strict supervision. Leaving open the possibility of another petition after a year, Overstreet denied the current petition because it “would subject the community to potential harm.”

Comments (30)

happychimer
happychimer 11/09/11 - 01:17 pm

Yeah turn her loose to kill

Yeah turn her loose to kill again. I said then and I say now that it is open season on kids. This woman should have gotten the death penalty. Nobody can convince me that she did not know what she was doing. I know many of you disagree with me.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 11/09/11 - 01:31 pm

I think it is within the

I think it is within the realm of possibility that she didn't know what she was doing when she killed her 2 children. That being said I think she is still responsible for her actions. It has been my observation that mental illness is not curable it is only manageable. Therefore she needs close supervision for the rest of her life. Prison provides that kind of necessary supervision.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/09/11 - 01:39 pm

Bless her l'il peapicking

Bless her l'il peapicking heart. Those two BABIES just got in HER WAY.

Waymore
Waymore 11/09/11 - 01:42 pm

IF she is released, one

IF she is released, one condition of the release should be a mandatory hysterectomy. This female should not be allowed to reproduce.

happychimer
happychimer 11/09/11 - 01:44 pm

Just because a female murders

Just because a female murders her kids does not mean she has mental problems. I am not that gullible. That how I feel. She gets no sympathy from me.

allhans
21982
allhans 11/09/11 - 01:52 pm

Don't you folks get it? She

Don't you folks get it? She didn't mean to. Carrying a knife, she took them to a service station , took into the bathroom, locked the door and then one child at a time, stabbed them to death....it wasn't her fault.

Yeah!

beep beep
beep beep 11/09/11 - 02:02 pm

RELEASED???? Are you kidding

RELEASED???? Are you kidding me!! How in the world can that even be considered. Psychotic breakdown is a bunch of crap. She KILLED two innocent children and she should never walk the streets again. If your looking for problems in our society, this is a good place to start. Kill your kids and then claim you were psychotic...oh and then we will release you in a few years. Here is something to think about, that poor little one year old toddler that she killed with her own two hands by stabbing him repeatedly (which means over and over and over again) would only be in kindergarten this year. Why should she possibly be considered for release. Please justice system don't let us down on this one. That monster needs to stay behind bars

iLove
iLove 11/09/11 - 02:06 pm

It is fairly easy to play

It is fairly easy to play judge when you are sitting behind a computer...

Would a mother in her right mind kill her children?

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 11/09/11 - 02:21 pm

Ok, I totally agree with

Ok, I totally agree with her...she wasn't in her right mind when she did it. Ok, I totally agree with her....she's much better now. But...once an anteater always an anteater. There's no guarantee AT ALL that she won't snap again.

Lock her up...throw away the key...quit wasting my tax dollars going to court!

challenger1
challenger1 11/09/11 - 02:38 pm

Well if you think about it,

Well if you think about it, no one in their right mind would murder anyway. So all murderers are insane. I also feel that no one should be allowed to plea temporary insanity after killing just to get a lesser sentence. Its crazy that our justice system would allow her to even make this request.

BamaMan
BamaMan 11/09/11 - 02:49 pm

Challenger1 I think you're

Challenger1 I think you're wrong. There ARE sane people that murder, they're just mean as Hell, and only care about themselves. Those kind of people DO murder.

allhans
21982
allhans 11/09/11 - 03:10 pm

So, who decides which are the

So, who decides which are the crazies and which are the devils?
The shrinks? I don't think all murderers are tested, so that's kind of unfair.

Peach29
Peach29 11/09/11 - 03:11 pm

Happychimer, yes i am one of

Happychimer, yes i am one of those that disagree with you. She did have a Psychotic Break which can happen to anyone when they have an abundant amount of stress on them and do not seek help. Many people with "mental issues" have been released from state facilities into personal care homes that are in our society. True enough she killed her children, but she is to answer to God for her wrongdoing. However, keeping her in a state facility we taxpayers are paying for that!!!!!

allhans
21982
allhans 11/09/11 - 03:17 pm

Yes, Peach..They are in the

Yes, Peach..They are in the way!! drat it. Pressure. What is a person to do when they are tied down to two infants demanding attention and Grand ma won't baby sit for a few days and you can't find your boy friend...

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 11/09/11 - 03:34 pm

I am sorry but ANYONE who can

I am sorry but ANYONE who can KILL (brutally kill) their own children should stay locked up for eternity! They should never ever be allowed ANY freedom again!

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 11/09/11 - 03:36 pm

And Waymore...i totally

And Waymore...i totally agree! HYSTORECTOMY should be 1st thing! She doesn't deserve any children!

happychimer
happychimer 11/09/11 - 04:44 pm

She should be sterilized so

She should be sterilized so she can not have more kids. Keep her locked up the rest of her life. Plenty of women have stress in their life but they don't murder their kids.

saltine
saltine 11/09/11 - 04:56 pm

It states,"remains balanced

It states,"remains balanced ONLY through medication.""Maybe she should have been taking medicine all along,and stopped.

whyme
whyme 11/09/11 - 05:04 pm

Yes this is a heinous crime

Yes this is a heinous crime but with my experience with the workings of the mental health system, it is a lot more complicated than most people know. It is easy to look at what the media put out there for the readers to right away say,"Lock her up!" or "Let her go!". No matter what is decided, it's honestly never going to be totally the right answer. The mental health hospitals and support services are always looking for people who are interested in understanding the system. Do you have an opinion? Don't just express it here anonymously-get involved and then you'll be able to make a more informed decision one way or the other...unless you'd rather stay uninformed...it is more entertaining that way but remember, it could always be your family on the perpetrator's side or the victim's side.

my.voice
my.voice 11/09/11 - 05:39 pm

Glad they made the right

Glad they made the right choice. I figure in 75-80 years she will be ready for "release".

roblever59
roblever59 11/09/11 - 11:17 pm

It's very sad to hear you

It's very sad to hear you people make the type of comments you are making about this young lady. If she had been in her right mind she would not have gone to a public place to kill her childrend.Come on people get real. Just think the shoe could have been on the other foot and been you or someone in your family and I'm sure you would see it different then.

trimmy
trimmy 11/09/11 - 06:16 pm

It doesn't matter what mind

It doesn't matter what mind she was in. She could be a sho nuff lunatic. That just means she will not realize what's happening when she is executed.

unbiased
unbiased 11/09/11 - 06:33 pm

It IS really easy for me to

It IS really easy for me to sit here and say keep her locked up!! I wept for those children and mourned them for months. I remember this all too vividly and I don't care what frame of mind she was in, she did it. This woman looked her children in the face and stabbed them. You know they had to be crying "Mommy, Noooooo!" I hope she rots in a facility and then burns in the hereafter. I do not regret feeling the animosity I feel towards her...not one bit. She is evil and undeserving of any sympathy.

happychimer
happychimer 11/09/11 - 07:10 pm

unbiased I agree with you. No

unbiased I agree with you. No other story on here has had the impact that one did on me. I cried for those kids. I never met them, but the pain of what their mother did to them just got to me.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/09/11 - 07:25 pm

You take a life, other than

You take a life, other than self-preservation ( i.e. home invasion, personal threat to family, self, friend, robbery, attacked by someone's pet for the purpose of bodily harm or the like) you deserve to die or be locked up until the person or persons you assassinated comes back to life and is in better shape than before their encounter with you.

mom of 2
mom of 2 11/09/11 - 08:12 pm

I can't believe that she

I can't believe that she would even be considered for release! I understand she had a "breakdown " is why she did this. No I have never walked in her shoes and don't know just how bad she thought it was but I know one thing : those children were a gift from God and didn't deserve to die so young. Who knows what they could have become if they had been given the chance to grow up. I was so upset by this story bc I was pregnant with my 2nd child and just couldn't imagine how she could look at their sweet faces and decide this was what she should do. It wouldn't matter if this were a member of my family or not, I would feel the same about this, she doesn't deserve to be released mentally ill or not. There are people that can't have children and would have taken them so she could get help. CHILDREN should be protected by their Mother instead of killed by them. I pray for her family bc they lost one of the most precious gifts we as Mothers can give the world innocent children.

allhans
21982
allhans 11/09/11 - 11:39 pm

If anyone can think about an

If anyone can think about an infant and a two year old being stabbed - the pain, the fear- by their own mother whose role it is to take care of them and can then find excuses for this horrible act, then perhaps they should take another look...
Killing your child, the most savage act known to man. Even animals know better.

CABoatright
CABoatright 11/10/11 - 08:17 am

The food at her current

The food at her current facility must be really great....

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 11/10/11 - 09:48 am

Roblever59...in putting the

Roblever59...in putting the shoe on the "other foot"...#1, I wouldn't EVER be so stressed that I would MURDER my own children...#2, if someone I loved and cared for were crazy enough to do this, I am sorry, but all respect and care for this person would fly right out the window! There is NEVER an "excuse" for murder...especially of your OWN CHILDREN!

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 11/10/11 - 09:51 am

unbiased &

unbiased & happychimer...completely agree with you two!