Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Clerk says men tried to rob Columbia County hotel

Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2011 12:28 PM
Last updated 9:01 PM

A hotel clerk called authorities early Wednesday to report two armed and disguised men tried to get into the hotel office.

The night clerk called 911 after seeing two men try to get into the office of the Red Roof Inn on Belair Frontage Road near Interstate 20, according to a Columbia County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

The clerk said that just before midnight Tuesday, two men with their faces covered with black cloths or shirts tried to get into the lobby of the hotel. They were unable to get in because the second set of doors is locked at night.

When the clerk realized the men were armed with shotguns or rifles, he said he reached over the counter for the phone and called 911. The men ran outside and behind the Econo Lodge next door.

Another hotel employee told deputies that she saw a third man – a white man wearing a green ski mask. The hotel manager said she has video surveillance footage of the attempted robbery.

Authorities were not able to find the men using a canine tracking team.

KristaLParrish
KristaLParrish 11/09/11 - 03:41 pm
ok let me clarify that this

ok let me clarify that this incident was NOT taken place in Grovetown. it took place in Martinez! might i just add that the "robbers" ran into my neighborhood. which is right behind econo lodge and red roof inn. the police were at every corner in the neighborhood with a spotlight. that goes to show they are too LAZY to search around. they could have decided to break into a house since they didn't succeed with the hotel... that frightens me because they were said to have been armed. to the police.... DO A BETTER JOB NEXT TIME! criminals are capable of anything!!!!

SteveCagle
SteveCagle 11/09/11 - 06:09 pm
A police officer's job is not

A police officer's job is not to protect you but to enforce the law. The only way to protect yourself from an armed criminal is to arm yourself.

KristaLParrish
KristaLParrish 11/09/11 - 06:23 pm
I'm only 16. I can't arm

GaStang22
GaStang22 11/09/11 - 07:50 pm
Actually its Grovetown, the

Actually its Grovetown, the mailing address is Augusta, but its not near Martinez.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 11/09/11 - 08:06 pm
No. It's about five miles

No. It's about five miles from Grovetown as the crow flies and seven by road. It's off exit 194, at Frontage road and Belair where it turns into Dyess Parkway; not even in the huge Grovetown mailing postal code. Sloppy reporting.

Vito45
Vito45 11/09/11 - 09:34 pm
KristaLParrish Wednesday,

KristaLParrish
Wednesday, Nov. 9 6:23 PM

"I'm only 16. I can't arm myself for a few years. And the police's job is to protect the community. Not just to enforce the law."

Kristal, there is a lesson you need to learn today and take to heart, as it may save your life one day:
The police can NOT protect you and the community

It isn't for a lack of desire, professionalism, ability, or anything else they have control of. They just simply cannot be everywhere all the time. It is up to YOU to protect yourself, so be smart!

The best the police can do is deter crime, they will never stop it. We, as a society are largely at fault for crime, because it is US who have raised the criminal.

Dixieman
Dixieman 11/09/11 - 09:35 pm
Sorry, police are not your

Sorry, police are not your bodyguards. They wait until AFTER a crime has been committed, then look for the perps. Arm yourself!

KristaLParrish
KristaLParrish 11/09/11 - 10:30 pm
My name is Krista. And I'm

My name is Krista. And I'm not asking them to protect me. I'm asking them to do a better job at catching criminals instead of having 8 cop cars in one small neighborhood. I believe I know where I live as well. I may be 16 but I'm very intelligent. Instead of commenting about my opinions, make your own about the situation. You may think their job is to only stop people from breaking the law, but I was always told and taught that police are also supposed to protect the community. I never said for them to protect me specifically, I was saying they could have done more to catch the men instead of just sitting there waiting for something to happen. I'm finished now. Any other replies to me are irrelevant. God Bless.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/10/11 - 12:03 am
Idiot robbers. These

Idiot robbers. These criminals are getting more and more brazen. I don't know whether it's the economy, addicts looking for money to buy drugs, or just plain local terrorists (yes anyone who robs a business terrorises the clerk hense they are a terrorist.) or they're just uneducated broke thugs wanting to score an easy buck. Someone tries to rob me and they will lose their life. PERIOD! Watch out who you mess with you cowards who think you're BAD. You're not . You're just low lifes and the citizens of this city are not going to take it anymore.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/10/11 - 01:03 am
Krista, you are right to some

Krista, you are right to some extent but so are the others commenting.

It is the job of the police to do their best to Protect and Serve the public. It is in their motto and their sworn oath. However, it is impossible for the police to stop most crimes prior to their occurrence, they can mostly deter them.

I can assure you the reason they were in their vehicles looking (from your point of view) had nothing to do with them being lazy or not wanting to apprehend armed robbers. These officers are simply setting up a perimeter and following proper protocols. They are in their assigned area or zone and observing for anything suspicious within that area while at the same time, K-9 tracking teams (officers and dogs) are putting their lives at great risk while going through yards and checking attempting to follow the trail of the criminals. When many officers begin to get out of their vehicles and go from home to home through yards, etc. without even knowing the exact location of the criminals, they are not only putting their selves at far greater risk but may also encounter an armed homeowner which can easily result in a very bad outcome.

The Sheriff's Office has good policies in place to do their best to apprehend criminals and most officers (even the few lazy ones that keep their jobs) really do want to catch criminals when they have the opportunity.

As for the recommendations of others, you (and everyone) should do some research on personal safety, home safety, vehicle safety, parking lot safety, etc. and always be aware of your surroundings. As for being 16, you are not able to be armed with a handgun outside of your home (and maybe shouldn't have a gun yet at all) but with proper training, parental permission, etc. their certainly isn't any reason you can't be trained to use a shotgun for personal safety within your home. Of course, with any guns comes the responsibility to learn how to properly use, load, store, and shoot the firearm properly. Additionally, if you aren't prepared or capable mentally to pull the trigger at an approaching person threatening your safety then a gun isn't something you should have, no matter what your age is. There are plenty of other options and deterrents such as alarm systems, personal defense training, pepper spray, etc. but what generally helps the most is to always be fully aware of your surroundings and vigilant at all times.

I am glad no one was hurt, the hotel clerks followed proper procedures and had the door locked, called 9-1-1 and the Sheriff's Office provided a prompt response. Maybe the camera systems will provide evidence to help the police find these violent criminals before someone does get hurt.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/10/11 - 10:49 am
"the police were at every

"the police were at every corner in the neighborhood with a spotlight. that goes to show they are too LAZY to search around. " posted by Krista

Krista, in most cases the police will try and block every access in or out of an area where they think a criminal has run into. Unless you were outisde your residence looking around, how do you know there were not more officers in the area doing a search? I'm sure the officers WERE doing their job, whether you approve of how they handled it or not.

Vito45, I think you're right. Our society is partly responsible because we have gotten so easy on punishment for criminal behavior. When someone knows that all they get is a slap on the wrist, jail no longer becomes a deterrant, it's just become a temporary holding place (sort of like the principal's office). No big deal anymore.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...