Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Birthday ballad linked to beating in downtown Augusta

Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2011 2:21 PM
Last updated 7:53 PM

A 37-year-old Augusta man told authorities his teeth were knocked out after he played a song for a woman celebrating her birthday at Joe’s Underground this morning.

According to the incident report, the victim met the woman at the business located at Eighth and Broad streets. After she explained it was her birthday, the man played a song on the jukebox for her.

Later the victim and a friend, a 42-year-old man, were walking home on Broad Street shortly before 2 a.m. when a group of four men and a larger group of women attacked them. Police said the victims overhead the attackers mention the song before the attack.

Police said the men were thrown to the ground where they were kicked and beaten by the men and women.

The 37-year-old victim had six teeth knocked out in the fight.

Both victims suffered minor injuries to the head.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/09/11 - 02:29 pm
Wonder what the song was?

Wonder what the song was?

Jake
Jake 11/09/11 - 02:38 pm
"Leave Your Hat On" by Joe

"Leave Your Hat On" by Joe Cocker.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/09/11 - 03:09 pm
This story is one reason I

This story is one reason I don't frequent downtown clubs or bars. What's wrong with people?

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/09/11 - 03:32 pm
Jake: “‘Leave Your Hat On’ by

Jake: “‘Leave Your Hat On’ by Joe Cocker.”

Serious?

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 11/09/11 - 04:20 pm
So was the birthday girl

So was the birthday girl linked to the group which delivered the beat down? Was she the girlfriend of one of the guys involved? Was this a case of her boyfriend becoming enraged with jealousy when the victim played a song for his girl?

Or was this, as the article facilely seems to imply, simply a case of a group of people who took a visceral dislike to the victim's taste in music?

vsr812
vsr812 11/09/11 - 04:23 pm
It was lay down sally....or I

It was lay down sally....or I wanna kiss you all over! lol

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/09/11 - 05:01 pm
Mob mentality, a really scary

Mob mentality, a really scary thing. You don't have to do anything to set them off; they are just looking for a reason. I hope they are all found and prosecuted or we haven't heard the last of them.

WatchfulBystander
WatchfulBystander 11/09/11 - 06:00 pm
Wow... That's unfortunate.

Wow... That's unfortunate. Poor guy.
Hope they catch the idiots who did it.

joebowles
joebowles 11/09/11 - 07:07 pm
Was it a larger group of

Was it a larger group of women or a group of larger women???

raul
raul 11/09/11 - 08:08 pm
No telling what may happen at

No telling what may happen at 2 in the morning on Broad St. When I was a teenager, my dad always said nothing good happened after midnight. Over the years, I have realized he was right about a lot of things.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 11/09/11 - 08:58 pm
An Assault like this means a

An Assault like this means a mob presents a serious threat to our community. Hope they don't buy that AK47 floating around. Why don't we have descriptions of these people?

GaStang22
GaStang22 11/09/11 - 09:01 pm
Looks like some insecure

Looks like some insecure little boys and girls need to grow up before they try to play adult. I hope they catch them. Justice would be knocking out 6 of each one of their teeth whether they hit once or 10. Hopefully in jail they will get some of what they gave.....and then some! =) I don't even care if the guys ran their mouth in the bar, to have that scared punk pack mentality and attack people after the fact shows they aren't as grown or as bad as they think they are. Hopefully their next victim will have a gun. And yes with immature losers like this.... there will be a next time.

Pu239
Pu239 11/09/11 - 09:31 pm
I wonder if the song was

I wonder if the song was "Love Bites?"

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/09/11 - 11:04 pm
Very, Very ODD story. I

Very, Very ODD story. I wonder what the song was too.
Lay down Sally...lol... good one!
It was probably "They say it's your Birthday... It's my Birthday too..."
My name is Keith... Would you help me find my six teeth...

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 11/10/11 - 07:16 am
gangs do their assaults in

gangs do their assaults in numbers because individually their cowards

BamaMan
BamaMan 11/10/11 - 08:54 am
Always told my kids the same

Always told my kids the same thing...nothing good happens after midnite. Sometimes kids DO realize their parents knew something afterall! Bars serve no good purpose anyway.

belle
belle 11/10/11 - 09:13 am
Bamaman, obviously you have

Bamaman, obviously you have never found a really good bar. They are out there.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/10/11 - 12:34 pm
Better watch out who you

Better watch out who you speak to or request a song for....can the descriptions be more vague?

unbiased_propaganda
unbiased_propaganda 11/10/11 - 04:21 pm
belle - please enlighten us.

belle - please enlighten us. Other than being a place to get drunk, smoke cigarettes, and talk really loudly over music - what "good" purpose does it fulfill?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/10/11 - 05:04 pm
That is why I carry a Glock

That is why I carry a Glock and two extra mags when I am home and out downtown...

Riverman1