Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

6 vehicles broken into at Augusta Family Y

Sunday, Nov. 6, 2011 6:38 PM
Last updated 6:47 PM

At least six vehicles were broken into between 9 and 11 a.m. Saturday at the Family Y.

According to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office reports, all the cars were broken into at 3570 Wheeler Road. All had a window shattered from the center by unknown means.

Among the items stolen from the cars were purses, wallets, credit cards and Nintendo DS Lego Harry Potter game.

Comments (13)

RunningMan
RunningMan 11/06/11 - 07:53 pm

Video cameras please.

Video cameras please.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/06/11 - 08:11 pm

They have video cameras.

They have video cameras.

cityman
cityman 11/06/11 - 11:10 pm

You know how crime is in West

You know how crime is in West Augusta!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/07/11 - 12:46 am

I'm surprised I don't see

I'm surprised I don't see that comment more often, cityman. Touche.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/07/11 - 02:27 am

A YouTube video of a thief

A YouTube video of a thief lying in a pool of blood beside the broken window of a car in the Wilson Y parking lot would serve as an effective deterrent to such antisocial behavior.

RunningMan
RunningMan 11/07/11 - 06:35 am

Thats my point. If they have

Thats my point. If they have the cameras, use them, and in cases like this at least they would be able to possibly get a look at the person(s) that committed these break-ins, prevent others, and get back the stolen items. I am not saying the cameras will prevent the break-ins, but they are designed to assist in indentifying the who, how, and when. For law enforcement thats all they need to make an arrest.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/07/11 - 06:45 am

Don't they have lockers

Don't they have lockers there? Why would people leave purses, wallets and credit cards in their cars? I'm not making excuses for the low lifes that broke into the cars, but I sure wouldn't leave those thing in my car.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/11 - 07:28 am

Lockers are broken

Lockers are broken too.......just wondering about car alarms....mine has one & it is loud.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/11 - 07:34 am

Car breakins are the crime

Car breakins are the crime for todays crowd of punks....it happens in gated neighborhoods....church lots...grocery stores...shopping centers ....at homes in the middle of the night.....it happened here 2years ago & we started the 9-11watch program...my neighbor saw 2 big men going from car to car around 2am...taking valuables out of cars...police were called but the punks ran through the back woods to a waiting car....the police said then that a big dog in the yard-alarms- make a difference. Also LIGHTS----light up ...even motion detector lights.
It seems this will get worse.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/07/11 - 08:02 am

I bet its those darn Village

I bet its those darn Village People...

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/07/11 - 09:11 am

Funny Taylor B!

Funny Taylor B!

allhans
21990
allhans 11/07/11 - 11:47 am

Saturday morning is a

Saturday morning is a bustling, busy time at the Y. I don't know where the cars were parked - possibly away from the main parking area- but it would have difficult to accomplish this at that time and place.
I no longer go on Saturday due to the lack of open space...I always had to circle several times until someone left.

Cadence
Cadence 11/07/11 - 01:48 pm

This has been going on for

This has been going on for years, especially people who would park and walk around the track. They would come back to find that their vehicle was burgled.

allhans
21990
allhans 11/07/11 - 06:01 pm

The article gives the address

The article gives the address as 3570 which is the large Family Y.

The dirt outdoor track is at the old location just up the street and yes, walkers have had to be exra careful since the old Y was closed and demolished.
The article seems to indicate the new location.