Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Poor parenting leads youth to violent crime

Crime rates among children and adolescents aren’t necessarily on the rise, but a recent string of juvenile criminal activities in the area might indicate that the perpetrators are getting younger and more violent, according to local child and teen behavioral experts.

Children as young as 10 have been involved in crimes in Columbia and Aiken counties recently. Four teens and an 11-year-old were arrested in a Grovetown home invasion in which intruders threatened a 42-year-old woman at gunpoint Sunday. On Monday night, a 10-year-old trick-or-treater pulled a gun on a woman who said she would take his Halloween candy in Aiken County.

Four of the youths involved in the Grovetown home invasion were from Augusta.

On Oct. 28, authorities charged a 15-year-old Evans girl with conspiring to kidnap and kill another student. Columbia County sheriff’s deputies arrested Christian-Reef Adams Annis, 17, on Monday on charges of assisting in the plot. Annis told police the girl “was going to beat her with a crowbar,” according to a sheriff’s office incident report.

Columbia County Juvenile Court Judge Doug Flanagan has not seen a rise in court cases over the past five years, but he did say juveniles committing crimes are getting younger and more violent. Some role models set poor standards for behavior and are unaware of their children’s habits, Flanagan said.

“I think we attribute it to parents who need to pay more attention to their children,” he said. “The problem almost always starts at home.”

Juvenile crime has resulted from declining social values over a long period of time, Columbia County Sheriff Clay Whittle said.

“It didn’t happen today. It’s happened over 15 years,” Whittle said. “I don’t think we have an epidemic.”

Young people have always been responsible for shoplifting and auto break-ins, but more are involved in burglaries today, he said.

Dr. Eric Lewkowiez, a child and adolescent psychiatrist at Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics, said that in addition to a lack of positive role models, conduct such as attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and social ineptness can contribute to violent behavior. Young people constantly bullied by their peers will eventually act out, he said.

Contrary to popular belief, research studies do not support that violent video games and media contribute to a more violent society, he said. Violent acts by teenagers might be receiving more attention and not necessarily occurring more often, he said.

“Plenty of people play very violent video games and never commit a violent act,” Lewkowiez said.

Superior Court Judge Wade Padgett, who educates teens and their parents on legal issues, said the courts handle violent youth crimes for which they weren’t originally designed.

“Some of the things we are seeing are so violent that they can’t get a second chance,” Padgett said. “They become true criminals not just delinquent juveniles.”

National Statistics

Local statistics on juvenile crime rates were unavailable, but national statistics indicate that juvenile crime fell in 2008, the latest year for which data were available. Here are those numbers:

• 2.11 million arrests of suspects younger than 18 were made. That was 3 percent below 2007.

• Juvenile violent offenses fell 2 percent from 2007 but accounted for 16 percent of all violent crime arrests.

• Female suspects accounted for 17 percent of juvenile violent crime arrests.

• More than one-fourth of all juvenile arrests for violent crimes and property crimes were by suspects younger than 15.

bkl4516
bkl4516 11/05/11 - 05:58 am
Things have changed from when

Things have changed from when I was a child. When I got in trouble at school, I received punishment. When I acted out and or got into fights, I was punished. When I say punished, I mean whipped and grounded. My parents didn't take games away, or limit my phone use. When I was grounded, that meant no contact with anyone except when I was at school or church. What's wrong with America? Contemporary American society has lost it's backbone! Instead of grounding, Timmy your in time out for 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/05/11 - 06:08 am
The news headline reads,

The news headline reads, "Poor parenting leads youth to violent crime"

Is that news?

Techfan
Techfan 11/05/11 - 06:49 am
Breaking News Story-Excessive

Breaking News Story-Excessive eating leads to obesity, excessive drinking leads to alcoholism, .......

madgerman
madgerman 11/05/11 - 06:59 am
Most parents are too busy

Most parents are too busy reliving their own childhood that they don't really have time for the kids. That is why a lot of them just feel more comfortable being a best friend than being mom or dad. Heck just look at last weeks news pictures of moms and dads getting dressed for Halloween.

tanbaby
tanbaby 11/05/11 - 07:58 am
this one is a

this one is a no-brainer...like i have said before on various articles, if parents would start being parents and stop trying to be friends, the children might actually turn out to be productive citizens instead of criminals....oh yeah, and like bkl4516 said, punishment. don't be afraid of your kids...too many parents are..all my sons are bigger than me (25, 30, and 35) but i am still the parent and they know i won't play....

hounddog
hounddog 11/05/11 - 08:25 am
‘The news headline reads,

‘The news headline reads, "Poor parenting leads youth to violent crime"’
Brad, They won’t tell the rest of the story. This problem has been created mostly by the entitlement mentality put froth by the liberals and black leaders.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/05/11 - 09:01 am
Thats what has changed....you

Thats what has changed....you CAN'T punish your children.

david jennings
david jennings 11/05/11 - 09:05 am
Last week I got an abuse

Last week I got an abuse warning for saying it is the parents fault,I guess I didn't say it quiet eloqently enough, but this was my point.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/05/11 - 09:30 am
(T)anbaby, You think like my

(T)anbaby,

You think like my maternal grandmother, Black nanny, father and Catholic school teachers thought.

To these uncompromising adults belong my gratitude and whatever success one hard-headed boy has managed to achieve.

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 11/05/11 - 10:20 am
I visited a prison not long

I visited a prison not long ago to see the guy who killed my sister. I was looking to understand what happened and why he would do something like that. When I sat there looking around at everyone in the room where people visit, I was shocked to see so many young men in there. It became aware to me looking at their faces that for the first time in their lives they were experiencing what REAL boundaries are. I believe in punishment and fully realize that you have to pay for what you do, but in some ways it was sad because they had to come to prison to get that type of "parenting" that should have been done at home. I saw the same thing in the person I went to confront--he looked completely shell shocked.

spartaninsc
spartaninsc 11/05/11 - 10:21 am
When poor parenting leads to

When poor parenting leads to a 20 year old mom going to jail on drug, prostitution. larceny or some other charge , what do we do with her 3 or 4 kids - who have no legal fathers? We give them to her parents to raise because it's cheaper than foster care. And we expect different results this time????????? Break the cycle; put the kids in a better environment. Orphan homes are better than what we're doing now.

tanbaby
tanbaby 11/05/11 - 10:22 am
thanks craig, i have one son

thanks craig, i have one son who used to say when he was in school that he would rather be picked up by the police and go to jail than to get in trouble with me...bet he still thinks that way.....i can only imagine the conversation if one of mine called the police on me--"officer, my mama ( 5'2") hit me ( 6')..." officer--"well son, you probably deserved it!!!"

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/05/11 - 10:30 am
We are beating a dead

We are beating a dead horse......children need 2 parents...most don't have that anymore....a tired working mama sometimes can't do all that's needed with big boys....(yes I know some do quite well alone --but on average.....they need discipline from a man)

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/05/11 - 10:35 am
tanbaby you must not be in

tanbaby you must not be in the Augusta area. Cops here would probably be glad to lock mama up.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 11/05/11 - 10:36 am
...and STILL the libs think

...and STILL the libs think throwing money at the public school system is the answer. Bad parents make bad students who then become bad parents themselves, and the school system is little more than a daily stop for a free lunch. The reason the education establishment doesn't raise more hell on this issue is that it reinforces once and for all the notion that MORE MONEY ain't gonna fix it.

allhans
allhans 11/05/11 - 10:46 am
C-Span aired an interview

C-Span aired an interview with a census worker showing a chart that measured the increase in single parent households. It was astonishing. The movement up since 1991 had exploded...A tragic situation.
As we know the "entitlement" rate has gone up drastically at the same time, so nothing new here. We have known all of this for years.
The government offers and there are those who will gladly take.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/05/11 - 11:00 am
Last night on Atlanta news I

Last night on Atlanta news I saw parents complaining about school breakfasts...GEEZ.....they said the quality wasn't up to par......funny thing but in my day ythe PARENTS provided breakfast....when did this change....does the gov. furnish breakfast-lunch & supper now???
We wonder what is wrong with our tax dollars & why we are going bankrupt....
Kids need food.....nodoubt....but parents need to take care of the basics.

Techfan
Techfan 11/05/11 - 11:08 am
Maybe Austin should volunteer

Maybe Austin should volunteer to have any of his family members be the first to not take that "liberal" money from the public school system. If you're against it so much, stand up for your principles and don't suck on that government teat.

tanbaby
tanbaby 11/05/11 - 11:09 am
patty p, i have lived here

patty p, i have lived here all my life and have never gotten in trouble with the law, nor have any of my sons...guess i did something right by putting the fear of "mama's retaliation" in them......and maybe now the cops would be glad to "lock mama up", probably cause there are so many mothers acting stupid with their kids and with the law....

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/05/11 - 11:10 am
Why can't we ever see dollar

Why can't we ever see dollar for dollar where all this money goes in the school system?

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/05/11 - 11:14 am
tanbaby I'm glad you were

tanbaby I'm glad you were able to raise your kids up the right way. Some parents can't or won't do that.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 11/05/11 - 11:39 am
"Thats what has

"Thats what has changed....you CAN'T punish your children." Patty-P

This statement is completely and utterly FALSE. You CAN punish your children. I love how people "assume" that the big bad Po-Po will lock you up for punishing your children. The problem is when you ABUSE your children that the police get involved. Start the discipline when they are young, and more times than not, you will not have trouble with them. My kids know the punishment for going out-of-bounds. I haven't had a minutes trouble with them (they are teenagers), because the rules have been clearly defined at an early age.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/05/11 - 12:06 pm
I disagree fatboy....some

I disagree fatboy....some folks do start discipline when they are young. I just feel that times have changed and some folks think that a 'time out' is the method to use for everyone and everything. Some folks feel that kids should do things that other parents deem unacceptable (staying out all night, selling and/or doing drugs, underage drinking, driving around with no license or underage late at night, trespassing on others property, home invasions, toting guns at the age of 10, etc.). I got disciplined when I was young and on into my teens - it wasn't often but it happened.

GaStang22
GaStang22 11/05/11 - 12:31 pm
Techfan, I think you are

Techfan, I think you are wrong on that one. Most people who own a home, myself and Austin too probably, have contributed way more to the school than you think in our taxes, ever seen a tax bill? Do you own a home? Well most of that is school tax in case you didn't know. We are paying for our whole lives even when we do not have kids attending school. We are paying for people living 100% off the government to make more kids to take up the time, space, supplies, and quality of a good education without ever contributing a dime and raising kids who do not not how to act. We pay more than our fair share, no teat about it, and thats the thing, we pay and the ones destroying the schools and society with their warped values don't. So Austin and his family I doubt are taking any liberal money from the school, they are only using a portion of what they have already paid and will keep paying the rest of their lives!!!!!! And people who home school or attend private school or who have never had kids pay for the rest of the baby factories to keep multiplying public school kids they refuse to support for free.

allhans
allhans 11/05/11 - 12:33 pm
Techfan..Why would you say

Techfan..Why would you say public schooling is taking "liberal money",
did you not know that conservatives put money into that pot too and I would bet that especially locally there is more conservative money in the pot than liberal. Just saying...

harley_52
harley_52 11/05/11 - 01:07 pm
allhans said "I am not a big

allhans said "I am not a big supporter of the public school system, I consider it a major failing for our kids, but we are paying for it."

The government forces citizens to pay for public schools even when we choose not to send our kids there and pay to send them elsewhere, paying twice.....if we can. Some are happy with that situation.

The government forces citizens to pay for a bloated and ineffective public school bureaucracy in Washington and at the state and local levels to oversee public education. Some are happy with that situation.

The government in many states forces teachers to pay union dues to unions many teachers believe are the cause of poorly performing schools. Some are happy with that situation too.

Who are all these happy people? Fat cat government officials, fat cat union thugs, and overpaid public school administrators and teachers who sit back and split up the taxpayer's money they've stolen in an effort to keep the citizenry dumbed down enough that they don't know how to recognize the problem, or do anything about it.

How do they get by with it? They hide it behind a holier than thou, sanctimonious facade of how much they really, really, really CARE about the children.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

track800
track800 11/05/11 - 01:08 pm
This title needs to be

This title needs to be changed. You can only show a causation with a scientific study where variables are manipulated. This is a correlation. When one thing goes up another item will go up or down statistically. This statement would be an unethical study and cannot be proved. Show saying X causes Y is not true. It should say poor parenting shows a higher correlation with youth criminality.

allhans
allhans 11/05/11 - 02:33 pm
Awwww..............track800 W

Awwww..............track800

What is happening to our kids is as plain as the nose on your face. Nothing complicated abou it. It's call dumbing down the masses so they will never, ever catch on. 2 plus 2 will get you the same answer.

harley_52
harley_52 11/05/11 - 02:34 pm
track800 said "This title

track800 said "This title needs to be changed." It's probably okay. There are a lot of causes for the increase in youth crime and "bad parenting" is certainly one of them.

I believe "bad parenting," like "bad schools" are symptoms of a broader problem which is a general decay of American society. I maintain the cause is LIBERALISM, but obviously not everybody agrees.

Patty-P