Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Greenbrier students charged in killing plot romantically linked

Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2011 1:05 PM
Last updated 9:26 PM

Two Greenbrier High School students charged in conspiring to kidnap and kill another student were in a romantic relationship, one suspect’s father said.

Christian Annis, 17, was charged Monday with conspiracy to commit a felony.  Columbia County Sheriff's Office
Columbia County Sheriff's Office
Christian Annis, 17, was charged Monday with conspiracy to commit a felony.

Lon Annis, the stepfather of 17-year-old Christian-Reef Adams Annis, said his estranged son is the boyfriend of a 15-year-old girl who, police say, enlisted him to kill their classmate.

Lon Annis also said his stepson suffers from the neurological disorder Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Lon Annis said he doesn’t think that played a significant factor in Annis’ getting involved in a plot, though.

“He’s pretty easily influenced, but he knows the difference between right and wrong,” the stepfather said.

He wasn’t surprised when he learned of his stepson’s involvement because of his history.

“He was arrested last year at the school … for trying to sell prescription medication,” Lon Annis said. “He’s even threatened (by text) to kill me before.”

Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said in an e-mail Wednesday that he could not disclose any information on a possible criminal record.

On Monday, authorities arrested Annis at the school. He told sheriff’s office investigators that he was asked by the 15-year-old to help kill another student at the school in Evans, according to a sheriff’s office incident report. On Friday, police arrested the 15-year-old suspect from Evans for planning and enlisting help to kill the girl.

Christian Annis, of the 5900 block of Rousseau Creek Road in Thomson, told police the 15-year-old “was going to beat her with a crowbar,” according to the report.

Another Greenbrier student who was enlisted to help in the plot informed school officials, who called the sheriff’s office.

School Superintendent Charles Nagle said Wednesday morning that he believes Annis is in special-needs courses at Greenbrier High, but Greenbrier Principal Chris Segraves would not confirm Nagle’s statement. Lon Annis said he doesn’t believe that his stepson takes special-needs classes, but was unsure because he has not spoken with him in nearly three years.

Lon Annis said he and the teenager’s mother have been seeking a divorce since February 2009.

Though a Thomson resident, Annis is allowed to attend school in Columbia County because his mother is a lunchroom worker at a middle school in the county.

A phone call to Annis’ mother Wednesday morning was met with threats of seeking legal action for harassment.

The 15-year-old is charged with criminal solicitation and being held at the Regional Youth Detention Center in Sandersville, Ga.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/11 - 01:21 pm
She's being held on more

She's being held on more serious charges.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/11 - 01:29 pm
With the large amount of

With the large amount of press on the boy and the small amount of press on the girl, I conclude that the girl's parents hired a better lawyer and he reminded them all of their right to remain silent. They are wise to do just that.

wizzysmom
wizzysmom 11/02/11 - 01:52 pm
The girl is a juvenile, which

The girl is a juvenile, which restricts what type of information can be released. A bond hearing for someone charged as an adult, and a detention hearing for a juvenile sent to YDC are typically independent of one another and held in separate courts. His bond hearing may simply have already been held, and her hearing may still be pending. It's not a matter of fairness or bias by CC or the press, it's simply how the process works. I believe the girl's mother spoke out exclusively on Channel 12 yesterday.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 01:54 pm
Let's just paint an honest

Let's just paint an honest picture of this 17 year old who will be tried as an adult. He has a girlfriend and doesn't sound too helpless too me. The early family statements to the TV reporter were misleading.

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/02/11 - 02:08 pm
Mama gonna call the

Mama gonna call the "judge!!!" "Here com da judge! Here come da judge! Everybody knows cause Annis is the judge!" Don't you just love it when folks threaten like that and we all know that Judge Annis will distance himself from this debacle!!!

happychimer
happychimer 11/02/11 - 02:35 pm
Sweet son thanks for the

Sweet son thanks for the laugh.

peanut
peanut 11/02/11 - 03:40 pm
It is all very sad to me.

It is all very sad to me. From what I understand from my kids who go to school with the girl, she is constantly made fun of and bullied. She obviously has some deep emotional issues. She has been from one foster family to another in her early years and has now been with the same family since she was 8. I took a look at her facebook and the harassing and bullying is on there. I feel sorry for the poor girl. She was rejected by her birth parents and then rejected by her peers...This is exactly why I tell my kids to be kind to everyone because you never know where they have been or how they feel. They do not always listen to me, but it is a terrible thing to be judged by a world that has not taken the time to know who you are or what you have been through. This young lady has been on my heart today and I will be praying for her because you know the taunting and harassment will only get worse from here. I am not justifying her thoughts or plans...she may have just been venting out loud and someone decided to report it for whatever reason...Have you ever said that you felt like killing someone in anger? ...but never had any intention of going through with it? I just think this is really sad.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/02/11 - 04:00 pm
I think the name is Lon, this

I think the name is Lon, this article jumps back and forth between Lon and Lou.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 11/02/11 - 04:22 pm
To stop losing our children,

To stop losing our children, parents need to be PARENTS. If you have a child, take responsibility for that child. I know I'm living in la-la land by thinking it will ever happen. But if people choose to procreate, they need to accept the responsibility of the gift given to them. I encourage anyone who ever has contact with a child who is troubled...reach out to them. You may be the only person to ever show them you care, and you could change their life. You will be blessed! I have a small child in my life now who comes from a terrible home. I only see him a few times a week, but I am drawn to him, and have grown to love him so much. I am determined to show him love and care when I can so just maybe I can steer him from the heartache that so many suffer all because they never felt loved.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 11/02/11 - 04:30 pm
Lon is the correct name. We

Lon is the correct name. We are fixing the typos now.
Thanks.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/02/11 - 04:47 pm
What I find sad is that

What I find sad is that evidently Lon Annis adopted this boy because his last name is Annis. The mother and Mr. Annis have been trying to get divorced for 2 years? Now it seems he wants to badmouth this boy and state his brother who is a judge hasn't had anything to do with the boy for almost 3 years......sure sounds like the step dad wants to make sure he distance himself and his family from the issue.

Peanut, I agree with your kind words. Although what appears to be the intentions of this 17 year old boy and 15 year old girl, is horrible.....this young girl has some major emotional issues that should have been dealt with long ago when the family adopted her. Rejection is never an easy thing. I'm just glad it all came to light before something bad happened.

Vito45
Vito45 11/02/11 - 05:00 pm
ICL, don't be too hasty with

ICL, don't be too hasty with your conclusions of motivations. That is about all I can say without going out of bounds, other than I personally know the man in question and have had conversations with him going back 3+ years.

allhans
allhans 11/02/11 - 05:21 pm
So the judge is not the boy's

So the judge is not the boy's uncle. Is there such a thing as a step-uncle.
No involvement here.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/02/11 - 05:35 pm
No conclusion Vito45, just an

No conclusion Vito45, just an observation on what I read. I hope I'm wrong.

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/02/11 - 06:45 pm
@HappyChimer, my comment was

@HappyChimer, my comment was meant as humor but as others have commented this is a very serious problem and I would be a very irate parent if my daughter had ever been treated this way. Whoever you are all of us who have been parents love you and hope you get beyond this bump in the road and prosper the rest of your life. Son!!!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/02/11 - 07:08 pm
If this young man was

If this young man was adopted, then there are no step anythings, no step-fathers, step-uncles. Once an adoption occurs, it's the same as if it is a natural child. I don't know in this case if there was an adoption, but usually a step-child has their original last name, with him having the name Annis, it seems there was an adoption.

allhans
allhans 11/02/11 - 09:08 pm
I think it is the girl who

I think it is the girl who was adopted, not the boy, although step-parents have been know to adopt step-children.

ParentEducator
ParentEducator 11/02/11 - 09:38 pm
CC needs to wake up and take

CC needs to wake up and take bullying seriously. In 2008 my son was being harased relentlessly at Greenbrier Middle. He reported it to his teacher, it continued. Reported it to the guidance counselor, then to Mr. M***, asst principal and it continued. Mr. M*** stated "boys will be boys." After being shoved into a bathroom stall and punched he wrote a note to the kids telling them he was going to kill them if they touched him again. Guess what? My son was the one suspended for 3 days.

I don't condone what these kids plotted but I think some of blame goes back to the parents of the girl that was harassing her and the school for not taking incidents of harassment seriously. One of my sons was friends with Annis back in middle school. Christian was one of those also constantly picked on. It's no surprise he felt connected to a girl going through something similar. If the schools don't start addressing these issues we're going to see more kids trying to plot revenge on the harassers.
Wake up CCBOE!

peanut
peanut 11/02/11 - 09:49 pm
Both kids have been adopted.

Both kids have been adopted.

userone
userone 11/02/11 - 09:56 pm
I'm sorry that happened to

I'm sorry that happened to your son ParentEducator. I have to agree that bullying should be taken very seriously, including cyber bullying; However, plotting murder is just not normal. All threats should be taken seriously. Have we forgotten school shootings, not to mention countless people following through with their threats. These children are very troubled. I hope the courts will assist them in getting the pyschological counseling they need, instead of placing them in the system. The girl in question stayed overnight at my home. I spent time with her and it was very apparent there was something very wrong with her. I did not want her around my child, so she was no longer allowed to hang around her. Yes we should address bullying, but we should first teach our children how to deal with conflict.

userone
userone 11/02/11 - 10:00 pm
Oh, and Peanut "Have you ever

Oh, and Peanut "Have you ever said that you felt like killing someone in anger? ...but never had any intention of going through with it?" No! The person did the right thing. Let the law sort out the technicalities. Someones life was at stake!

ParentEducator
ParentEducator 11/02/11 - 10:12 pm
I am in NO way condoning what

I am in NO way condoning what they planned. Just hope people will think about the actions that led up to this. My own child never would actually try to to kill someone, but he was frustrated. He did EVERYTHING we told him to do, report it, tell the harassers to stop, report it again etc. We ended up filing police reports because the school continued to refuse to do anything! I've watched as the news has reported that CCBOE was training the kids on bullying etc. My thought then and now is that they need to train the educators and actually handle the situation and/or force the parents involved if it is cyber to take responsibility and handle it.
You are very right, school shootings have happened and they should take all threats seriously, just like they should have taken steps to keep those outcast kids from being bullied and feeling like they had to do something to begin with. In each case they show someone on the news stating how the kid didn't fit in, was picked on etc. It's not justification for doing horrific acts, it's a wake up call. CCBOE needs to be more proactive on the harassment and bullying to begin with so we don't have any more kids plotting against classmates.

userone
userone 11/02/11 - 11:11 pm
I agree with you

I agree with you ParentEducator. I was thinking about starting a program at the schools that address bullying in schools, on buses, and cyber bullying. There should be zero tolerance for it. The school's should be held accountable when it is not handled properly.
I still want to address the fact that the victim has not been accused of bullying the girl in question. The mother said she has been bullied her entire life and at school. She did not say the victim personally harrassed her. It was stated "some of blame goes back to the parents of the girl that was harassing her". There is an assumption there. We have now placed the victim on trial without knowing the full facts of the case.

tarryl
tarryl 11/02/11 - 11:12 pm
Is he the nephew of the

Is he the nephew of the Judge? If not, he somehow related to the judge. He will probably get a slap on the wrist and pscyh evaluation. Watch!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/03/11 - 12:54 am
There is too much bullying

There is too much bullying going on in this society. A lot of parents do it, too. They should set a good example by not bullying others. There is no excuse for name-calling, shunning (girls and women do this a lot, but many insecure, guilt-ridden and/or cowardly males do it, too), belittling, slandering, libeling and other forms of verbal or physical harassment, threats, and violence. Anyone remember the golden rule? If they did remember it and acted according to it, it would be a lot better world for everyone.

2honest4thisBS
2honest4thisBS 11/03/11 - 01:51 am
Well, over an hour ago I

Well, over an hour ago I posted a comment. Funny that it hasn't posted. Instead of being one that was on the wagon to defame someone's character, I was defending it. Guess you can't defend someone who is so deserving!!

2honest4thisBS
2honest4thisBS 11/03/11 - 02:23 am
Try this again! I will

Try this again! I will shorten it this time! As someone who has known the family, before and after separation, it baffles me as to why all of a sudden this has become about the Father. Last I checked, the charges weren't against him. Also, he has had no contact with the boy since the separation so he isn't the reason this has happened. The no contact wasn't because of the Father not wanting it but instead because of the boy and his mother not wanting it!!And not because he is a bad parent or unstable. If that were so, the younger child wouldn't be in his custody as the court ordered. So, there went the earlier theory mentioned by someone who calls themselves a christian. Also when mentioned to "look at the blood lines"....now mind that the boy was adopted! So there goes the "Annis" blood line! Look at blood line...absolutely! Having known the family for over 10 years, it is more likely that the boy's psychiatric instability goes way back and traced to someone alot closer than the man that gave him a name!! Trace it back to a report filed in Columbia County a couple of years ago. Someone calling to file a complaint against the Father for his business being disruptive to the neighbors. Funny thing!! All the while, impersonating a neighbor and giving a false name. Which means, false report!! Trace it back to the person who has repeatedly made threats to others who are friends with the Father. Trying to cause trouble for them. There is so much more to this than any of you know and possibly ever will. So before you are so quick to judge, try to look at both sides instead of looking at the one who had the nerve to mention his name. Try looking at the one who was so quick to threaten harassment charges to the Media...keeping them from their Constitutional right!! Lon is a wonderful man and an even better parent. Keep your head up my friend. Let the Big Man sort out all of those who are and have been undeserving of him!! Your place is solid!! Love ya!

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/03/11 - 03:55 am
ParentEducator, Principals

ParentEducator,

Principals appointed during Charlie's administration take discipline much more seriously than did those principals appointed under previous ones. "Turning a blind eye" is no longer an accepted tactic for dealing with bullying.

saltine
saltine 11/03/11 - 05:26 am
2honest4thisBS, well said,

2honest4thisBS,
well said, you must know the same things ,I know.Be patient,its coming

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/03/11 - 06:45 am
2honest4thisBS, "So, there

2honest4thisBS, "So, there went the earlier theory mentioned by someone who calls themselves a christian"

Not sure if in your 2:23am comment, this is meant to be a slam at me or the comment I made.

I do believe you have misunderstood what I was saying. No where did I indicate that the father/stepfather was unstable, or given any theory, only commented that from the way I read the article it appeared that Mr. Annis was trying to distance himself and his brother from the whole issue. It may not be correct but it is the way I interpreted the article.

If your comment was not intended towards me, then next time maybe it would be more direct to mention a post time instead of mentioning someone's faith.