Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police say Greenbrier High students planned to kidnap, kill classmate

Two Greenbrier High School students have been arrested and charged in conspiring to kidnap and kill a classmate.

Christian Annis, 17, was arrested and charged Monday.  Columbia County Sheriff's Office
Columbia County Sheriff's Office
Christian Annis, 17, was arrested and charged Monday.

On Friday, authorities arrested a 15-year-old Evans girl, accusing her of planning and enlisting help to kill a girl attending her school.

Columbia County sheriff’s deputies arrested Christian-Reef Adams Annis, 17, on Monday at Greenbrier High. Annis admitted he was asked by the 15-year-old to help kill the girl, according to a sheriff’s office incident report.

Annis, of the 5900 block of Rousseau Creek Road in Thomson, told police “she was going to beat her with a crowbar,” according to the report.

School Superintendent Charles Nagle said Tuesday that another girl initially agreed to help, but only because she was afraid of the suspect. Instead, she reported the plan to school officials, who called authorities.

Greenbrier High Principal Chris Segraves didn’t immediately return a phone message left Tuesday afternoon.

The 15-year-old is being held at the Regional Youth Detention Center in Sandersville, Ga. Sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said she was charged with criminal solicitation.

Annis was released from the Colum­bia County Detention Center on Tuesday on a $5,100 bond. He is charged with conspiracy to commit a felony.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/11 - 11:19 am
Donnie Fetter

Donnie Fetter reported:

Columbia County sheriff’s deputies arrested Christian Reed Adams Annis . . . of the 5900 block of Rousseau Creek Road in Thomson. . . .

Why a Greenbrier High School student has a Thomson address has not been explained yet.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 11:19 am
Sean, I sent you the link.

Sean, I sent you the link. Can I repost?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 11:38 am
Austin said, "The Annis kid

Austin said, "The Annis kid is special ed, and while no excuses are being offered, it might explain some of this."

Do you know what the family told the TV station?

saltine
saltine 11/02/11 - 11:46 am
This young person ,was

This young person ,was adopted.His natural mother has custody

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 11/02/11 - 11:48 am
RM...I know what they told

RM...I know what they told me, yesterday.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 11:49 am
The reason I'm asking is on

The reason I'm asking is on the TV news last night the family was quoted as saying Annis has autism and says yes to everthing and that's what they believed happened here.

When I tried to post the autism claim earlier someone at the Chronicle told me they didn't want this up because the Annis family hadn't told them that. So I wonder if there is a discrepancy about what the family said concerning his condition beginning to develop? What were the authorities told?

I agree with Autumn Leaves who said if the girl who reported the plot made false statements she should be held fully accountable. And that goes to all concerned.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/11 - 11:50 am
Thanks for trying to clear

Thanks for trying to clear things up, Saltine, but I'm still in the dark. Does his natural mother live in the 5900 block of Rousseau Creek Road in Thomson or somewhere else. It could be serious if the police have to pile on a charge of lying to police about his home address.

saltine
saltine 11/02/11 - 12:05 pm
I just know ,where he doesn,t

I just know ,where he doesn,t , live.(Ridge Road area)

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 11/02/11 - 12:23 pm
If he is autistic then prove

If he is autistic then prove it......if she was being bullied then prove it. Even if they were it does not give them the right to try and kill someone.

Vito45
Vito45 11/02/11 - 01:16 pm
This might be one of those

This might be one of those times when it is better to get more detail before commenting. Already, since the story broke there is additional information that colors things a little differently, and it isn't who his uncle is. If this is truly a special ed kid, it throws all kinds of considerations into the mix.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 01:30 pm
Vito, I agree, but there are

Vito, I agree, but there are all degrees of kids in special ed. Some of them simply have learning disabilities. But if he is autistic as the family told the TV reporter, that would make it different in my opinion. The family knows that too and it's probably why they told the reporter. I wonder if they told law enforcement he is autistic? Apparently the family is not telling the Chronicle that he is autistic. Autism is a pretty severe pathology. A seventeen year old (who would be tried as an adult) involved in a murder conspiracy could be in big trouble unless he is proven incompetent. I mean there have been some people crazier than all get out who were deemed sane. I'm sure the police would react much differently to a suspect if they were told he had autism...if they were given accurate information.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 01:32 pm
Getalife, can you explain

Getalife, can you explain more?

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 11/02/11 - 01:44 pm
Riverman1…..See they are

Riverman1…..See they are still deleting people.
AC has posted a new article linking the two romatically and stating quotes from the stepfather. The stepfather said he doesn’t believe the Aspergers played a significant factor in the boy getting involved.

Vito45
Vito45 11/02/11 - 01:56 pm
Exactly RM, which is why I

Exactly RM, which is why I say IF TRUE, it throws all kinds of considerations into the mix, depending on the level of his capacity. Can't say "shoulda done this, or should do that" without complete info on that.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 02:05 pm
Vito, I'm with you there.

Vito, I'm with you there. Have you read the other story? My question is the family statements that have been made to the media concerning his degree of competency.

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 11/02/11 - 03:00 pm
The newest updated article

The newest updated article makes the entire situation much clearer. This isn't he first go around with the law...and as for the young girl who talked him into this...i hope she gets a worse punishment then him. Shame on her! Girl's have certain ways to persuade...especially a young man who has a touch of special needs!

Formerly Shivas
Formerly Shivas 11/02/11 - 03:16 pm
Really Lon, really?

Really Lon, really?

Vito45
Vito45 11/02/11 - 03:38 pm
EHS Knight Wednesday, Nov. 2

EHS Knight
Wednesday, Nov. 2 12:24 AM
FROM:
Police say Greenbrier High students planned to kidnap, kill classmate

"So...have you never made a mistake Vito?"

More than I care to remember. Your point?

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/02/11 - 03:55 pm
Well, this young man is

Well, this young man is obviously the step-son of Lon Annis, who is pretty forthcoming in the other article posted. He said he had even been threatened via text himself by this kid, wow.

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 11/03/11 - 08:37 am
Augusta Citizen...you got

Augusta Citizen...you got that right...wow! I don't think being related to a judge is going to help this young man! Finally...a situation where your family isn't you "way out"...I hope both him and the girl who planned this get the punishment they deserve and the true "help" they obviously need. It's a scary thought that I have a daughter going into HS next year and that this is something I would have to be concerned about...sad.