Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police say Greenbrier High students planned to kidnap, kill classmate

Two Greenbrier High School students have been arrested and charged in conspiring to kidnap and kill a classmate.

Christian Annis, 17, was arrested and charged Monday.  Columbia County Sheriff's Office
Columbia County Sheriff's Office
Christian Annis, 17, was arrested and charged Monday.

On Friday, authorities arrested a 15-year-old Evans girl, accusing her of planning and enlisting help to kill a girl attending her school.

Columbia County sheriff’s deputies arrested Christian-Reef Adams Annis, 17, on Monday at Greenbrier High. Annis admitted he was asked by the 15-year-old to help kill the girl, according to a sheriff’s office incident report.

Annis, of the 5900 block of Rousseau Creek Road in Thomson, told police “she was going to beat her with a crowbar,” according to the report.

School Superintendent Charles Nagle said Tuesday that another girl initially agreed to help, but only because she was afraid of the suspect. Instead, she reported the plan to school officials, who called authorities.

Greenbrier High Principal Chris Segraves didn’t immediately return a phone message left Tuesday afternoon.

The 15-year-old is being held at the Regional Youth Detention Center in Sandersville, Ga. Sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said she was charged with criminal solicitation.

Annis was released from the Colum­bia County Detention Center on Tuesday on a $5,100 bond. He is charged with conspiracy to commit a felony.

Vito45
Vito45 11/01/11 - 11:59 pm
dstewartsr Tuesday, Nov. 1

dstewartsr
Tuesday, Nov. 1 6:00 PM
"...(H)e is not your average kid at GHS and as hard as it might be to give him a little understanding, he probably needs it."

Sure, just like the two 17-year-olds recently arrested for home invasion. Youth and stupidity neither excuse, nor more importantly, prevent violent crimes. Everyone who believes this would not have turned into another horrific crime if not prevented, is not in touch with today's news."

Hmmm... Anyone remember poor Melanie, the 15 yo girl who was drugged, molested, and a pipe bomb stuck in her mouth and detonated? How old were those animals that did that to her? Yea, gimme some more of that "everybody makes mistakes" claptrap so prevalent today used to excuse bad behavior. No one knows where this could have led, or what the whole story is, so I'm not equating this to that case; just trying to "keep it real" on what really goes on in some of these kids' minds these days.

Riverman1
82062
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 12:09 am
The last name, Annis, is

The last name, Annis, is familiar.......But you have to think this is one of those vague things that if they happened at another school in the CSRA would have been laughed at. I dunno. But it shows all families have their problems, if nothing else.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/02/11 - 12:26 am
(L)iterallyamerican, You

(L)iterallyamerican,

You posted, "They(kids)... cannot be disciplined at school."

I must take issue with your claim that our school officials do not have the power to discipline our kids at school. School officials do have the power to discipline kids. Moreover, GA and federal laws authorize them to do so.

But I do agree with your implication that often school officials do not mete out appropriate discipline to kids. Why? Local school board policies developed by indolent, effete, overly paid attorneys do not provide them the legal backing to do so. Or, as was so forthrightly put by a local school board attorney to new Special Education teachers at the conclusion of in-service training on school law provided for them several years ago , "You're on your own." Unfortunately, it hasn't taken many of our kids long to figure that out, much to their teachers' distress and our kids' long-term detriment.

sillyrabbit
sillyrabbit 11/02/11 - 12:28 am
Annis is familiar Riverman1

Annis is familiar Riverman1 becuase his uncle is a Superior Court Judge and one of the news channels spoke to his family off camera and they said he is autistic and pretty much would say yes to anything. The 15 year old girl's mother has also spoken to the media and said she adopted the girl when she was 8 and she has been bullied and picked on her whole school career and she finally had enough....sad for all involved.

desertcat6
desertcat6 11/02/11 - 12:39 am
Movies, TV shows and video

Movies, TV shows and video games are packed full of violence, revenge themes and death. Parents allow their kids to spends hours watching and playing. Why are we shocked when kids act out violently?

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 11/02/11 - 03:56 am
Craig sorry that is what I

Craig sorry that is what I pretty much meant-guess I kinda worded it wrong. I didnt mean that the school couldnt punish them I meant that what the school was able to do was not really deterrant enough to make them want to do the right thing....in other words they were limited... forcing the law to come in and have to take over.

mrscsh
mrscsh 11/02/11 - 04:53 am
This is one of the reasons I

This is one of the reasons I homeschool.

scoobynews
scoobynews 11/02/11 - 06:00 am
Say it isn't so not GHS!!! I

Say it isn't so not GHS!!! I thought they had that whole place planned out over there to make sure no undesirables made it through. I guess this guy managed to make it in as well as the girl that did the plotting. Soon it will be plots against teachers lives even though I am sure some have already been plotted just not carried through. These kids today are out of control and the ones that are good kids have to deal with their junk day in and day out.

allhans
allhans 11/02/11 - 07:00 am
sillyrabbit..Thank you for

sillyrabbit..Thank you for background, but surely, a parent would have recognized that the child was a threat.

allhans
allhans 11/02/11 - 07:03 am
mrscsh..You are a smart one.

mrscsh..You are a smart one. If you can't afford private, then homeschool.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 11/02/11 - 07:12 am
"Hmmm... Anyone remember poor

"Hmmm... Anyone remember poor Melanie, the 15 yo girl who was drugged, molested, and a pipe bomb stuck in her mouth and detonated?"

Making my point again. Sigh.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 11/02/11 - 07:54 am
If nothing else, maybe this

If nothing else, maybe this will be a huge wakeup call for both parties involved...to make them realize crime doesn't pay. God help him if he gets sent to prison. I know someone who knows this kid, and from what I've been told, he is very quiet and hardly ever says a word. My guess is he will get probation based on some type of insanity plea.

ags59
ags59 11/02/11 - 08:07 am
This reminds me of what was

This reminds me of what was on Americas most wanted just this past Sat night. Same thing girl inlisted a guy to lure another girl to a location then killed the girl. Kids today are spoiled back in the day if you did wrong you got your butt tore up (and it wasnt called child abuse).

Riverman1
82062
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 08:20 am
So this kid is from THE Annis

So this kid is from THE Annis family. God bless them. It just shows it's not always the family. But it appears the spin has already started with them saying he is not responsible for things. Sure.

But I do have a feeling the whole thing is overblown. Kids say things all the time they have no intention of doing. I'm not even sure how you can charge underage kids with a conspiracy. Lots of that is just kids' talk.

SCruz409
SCruz409 11/02/11 - 08:31 am
You know, until recently, I

You know, until recently, I never thought parents were really to blame for the way their kids behave because you can teach your kid the right thing but they still have a mind of their own and are subject to peer pressure.

However, now that I have kids that have their own "personality" I make sure I keep their attitudes in check. The most important thing is HOLDING CHILDREN ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS but parents don't know how to do that anymore. They take it personally if someone tries to correct their child or explain the child did something wrong. They need to get over themselves and realize they are putting these demonic children out into society. Until the entire mindframe of Americans can be changed, I believe this country is doomed.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/02/11 - 08:58 am
What is this world coming to,

What is this world coming to, I seem to ask that a lot lately.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/02/11 - 08:56 am
I'd like to know why the name

I'd like to know why the name of 11 year that was arrested in Grovetown was put in the paper but not this 15 year olds? This girl needs help, obviously if the other girl who turned her in was afraid of her she must have bullying or anger problems herself. To many excuses are being used for bad behavior. SCruz409, thank you, I totally agree.....

Riverman1
82062
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 09:23 am
I wonder if the radio talk

I wonder if the radio talk shows will look closely at THIS? I mean it's right out of The Texas Cheerleader Mom.

Riverman1
82062
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 09:23 am
What grade is Annis in?

What grade is Annis in?

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/02/11 - 09:26 am
If the 17 year old has

If the 17 year old has autism, I don't believe he can acquire a driver's license (I may be mistaken about this) and the 15 year old girl isn't old enough to drive.......so I'm courious as to how they planned to kidnap the other girl?

Vito45
Vito45 11/02/11 - 09:29 am
dstewartsr Wednesday, Nov. 2

dstewartsr
Wednesday, Nov. 2 7:12 AM

Making my point again. Sigh."

Were you in this area when that happened? The details curdle the blood; If someone had told me in advance that could happen I would have said "no way, no how". I still don't understand how 3 young men could have done such a thing, but they DID, so as you said, no way to know where these plots go.

Riverman1
82062
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 09:42 am
ICL, I have a feeling Annis

ICL, I have a feeling Annis has a license and is competent as all get out. Was he in special ed classes?

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 11/02/11 - 10:10 am
secretagentman...if your

secretagentman...if your daughter were the intended victim would you be so quick to feel sorry for the two arrested?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/02/11 - 10:50 am
Everyone is assuming the

Everyone is assuming the kidnap/murder plot is a fact. Isn't there a possibility that the person that made the claims that there was a murder plot was lying? All teenagers all tell the truth all the time, right? Of course not. Also, is it true that Christian is autistic? If so, this might make a difference in his ability to understand if he was being manipulated. I am not jumping to any conclusions. People often make false accusations for all kinds of motives. If it is proven that this is a false accusation, the person that made it should be the one held accountable to the degree that is appropriate.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/02/11 - 10:54 am
Arrested and charged means

Arrested and charged means nothing except your reputation is ruined until you can prove your innocence in this society and that you may have your freedom taken away from you during the process. Our court system wasn't supposed to be like that. You are supposed to be innocent until proven either guilty or not guilty of the charge. Small consolation when your reputation is destroyed in your own community and your freedom to be productive taken away when you might not even be guilty. This society is giving to much power to accusers.

Riverman1
82062
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 10:56 am
AutumnLeaves, well sure, if

AutumnLeaves, well sure, if the person making the claim is lying she should be held accountable. Also, the family member of Annis who said he is autistic and unable to reason, should be held accountable if Annis is in fact driving a car and attending regular classes in school, etc.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/02/11 - 11:11 am
Autumn, while I will agree

Autumn, while I will agree that people lie, the young man told what the plans were and the other girl who was affraid went and told school officials. I don't think anything was made up is the case, not based on the info that has been made public so far. The fact is that we live in society where violence has been put in peoples faces so much and glamorized so much on TV that some people don't give it a second thought. I remember watching 20/20 one night and the video from a store shows a man walk up to a guy at a gas pump and shot him, people were initially ducking to get out of the way, then when it was over a guy by the next pump comes around the corner, looks at the guy laying on the ground and goes back and starts pumping his gas ....never called for help or tried to help the guy as he was laying there dying. Death and violence means nothing anymore because it is so common. Sad to think our society has come to that.

Riverman1
82062
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 11:11 am
Someone posted there was a TV

Someone posted there was a TV interview with Annis family members, but that post has been removed. Do you have a link to that or can you give us the specifics of the interview?

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 11/02/11 - 11:13 am
The Annis kid is special ed,

The Annis kid is special ed, and while no excuses are being offered, it might explain some of this. Which was discussed yesterday...in depth.

Funny thing...the first arrest was FRIDAY...the second MONDAY...and yet the BOE waits until they have parents and media calling (Tuesday) before they address the situation at all.

Brilliant.

Riverman1
82062
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 11:18 am
Does Annis have a driver's

Does Annis have a driver's license, etc? Being in a special ed class doesn't necessarily mean impairment of reasoning.