Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Five arrested in Grovetown home invasion

Four teens and an 11-year-old have been arrested in a Sunday af­ter­noon Grovetown home invasion.

Two 17-year-olds, one from Grovetown and one from Augusta, are being held in the Columbia County Detention Center without bond on charges of burglary, attempted armed robbery, kidnapping and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

A 14-year-old, a 15-year-old and 11-year old, all from Augusta, are being held in the Regional Youth Detention Center on the same charges. Juvenile Court Judge Doug Flanagan denied them bond Monday.

The boys’ names are being withheld because of their ages .

According to authorities, a 42-year-old woman called police just before 2 p.m. Sunday about a group of young men who threatened her at gunpoint. She said she was in the kitchen of her boyfriend’s Lake Royal Drive home and saw someone approach the front door. When the doorbell rang repeatedly, she ran to the door to keep it from waking her boyfriend.

When she answered the door, a teenager asked whether “Bill” was home. When she said no Bill was there, a teen hiding to her left pointed a silver pistol in her face. He backed the woman into the house and made her lie face-down on the floor. She said she saw the feet of four intruders.

One of them demanded to know who else was home. The woman said, “He is upstairs. Quiet or you’ll wake him up.” When her boyfriend opened his upstairs bedroom door, the young men ran out of the house.

As they left, the woman saw another of the attackers had a gun, she said.

A Columbia County sheriff’s deputy saw three young men run across Lake Royal Drive headed toward South Old Belair Road. An older Ford F-150 truck either stopped or moved slowly toward the deputy near the intersection.

As a fourth young man ran across the road to join the other three, the deputy drew his gun and ordered him on the ground. The young man jumped a fence into the Magnolia neighborhood along with others.

Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said police set up a perimeter. Four of the boys were arrested shortly thereafter.

While interviewing the young men, police said they determined one of the 17-year-olds also was involved in the home invasion. He was arrested early Monday.

Authorities are unsure where the suspects got the two guns.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 11/01/11 - 10:13 am
Patty-P, I'm very sorry but I

Patty-P, I'm very sorry but I do have to disagree with you on that one. Noone in the case we were so closely connected to was released to anyone and the 5 teens that did this home invasion are now in prison for life plus, except the one that was 14 who got 30 yrs. I won't say it never works that way, but certainly NOT ALWAYS! When you make a generalized overview of a situation it's really better to know your facts. Many people suffer even years later when people make comments that are inaccurate. But, just so I'm clear on this...what is a different neighborhood or different victim? I'm very curious.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/01/11 - 10:22 am
sugarbutton I'm referring to

sugarbutton I'm referring to the article above, not a previous case. I won't elaborate on my 'different' neighborhood or 'different' victim because I think you know exactly what I mean. IT HAPPENED TO ME. So YES, it does happen. You can disagree if you'd like, but I follow the news and many situations aren't even reported but I guarantee a similar situation could 'possibly' have had different results in a different hood.

belle
belle 11/01/11 - 11:18 am
Just to clarify....this crime

Just to clarify....this crime did not occur in Grovetown. The home invaded had a Grovetown mailing address only. It occurred on the other side of I-20 from Grovetown. Also, the younger boys did not just participate in a crime, they travelled many miles away from their home to do so. The only one who lived close to this address was the one arrested Monday. This was NOT a random crime. "Morris said one of the suspects attended school with the male victim’s son and thought weapons or money might be in the home."

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/01/11 - 11:39 am
So you're saying the home

So you're saying the home invasion took place in Lewiston?

cityman
cityman 11/01/11 - 11:51 am
When soneone busts into your

When soneone busts into your home shot them!

belle
belle 11/01/11 - 01:22 pm
Little Lamb, as the report

Little Lamb, as the report states, it took place in Lake Royal Subdivision which is off S. Old Belair Rd which is physically located in what most people refer to as Martinez. Your mailing address merely refers to which post office serves you.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 11/01/11 - 08:38 pm
Patty-P, It is possible that

Patty-P, It is possible that I misread what you wrote but I reread it a couple more times and I still have the same opinion about it. You jump to conclusions because you have had "your" door kicked in. I'm not arguing about that, I'd be upset too. However, I see things a little different about how precious lives are since we are raising a child whose father was killed in a home invasion by 5 teens. It could've gone either way when it went to court. I will say they were on the ball catching them and putting them in jail. Oh, "they" means the police. Also, when I ask you to clarify something Patty-P, it means I DO want to know what you're refererring to. Please don't "assume" people "understand" what you are talking about. I wouldn't have asked~~anyway, to each his own, but in the end we all answer to a higher power. OK, let me rephrase that....I answer to a higher power.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/02/11 - 03:52 pm
sugarbutton...you are very

sugarbutton...you are very welcome to disagree with me on that. I can and will jump to conclusions when I've seen kids get away with crimes and on more than one occasion. I know it to be a FACT and will feel that way about it regardless. I have my reasons. I have never once said that life isn't precious. I don't know why you seem to think I feel any differently than you. I think EVERYONE's life is precious, no matter their race, age, or neighborhood.