Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Five arrested in Grovetown home invasion

Four teens and an 11-year-old have been arrested in a Sunday af­ter­noon Grovetown home invasion.

Two 17-year-olds, one from Grovetown and one from Augusta, are being held in the Columbia County Detention Center without bond on charges of burglary, attempted armed robbery, kidnapping and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

A 14-year-old, a 15-year-old and 11-year old, all from Augusta, are being held in the Regional Youth Detention Center on the same charges. Juvenile Court Judge Doug Flanagan denied them bond Monday.

The boys’ names are being withheld because of their ages .

According to authorities, a 42-year-old woman called police just before 2 p.m. Sunday about a group of young men who threatened her at gunpoint. She said she was in the kitchen of her boyfriend’s Lake Royal Drive home and saw someone approach the front door. When the doorbell rang repeatedly, she ran to the door to keep it from waking her boyfriend.

When she answered the door, a teenager asked whether “Bill” was home. When she said no Bill was there, a teen hiding to her left pointed a silver pistol in her face. He backed the woman into the house and made her lie face-down on the floor. She said she saw the feet of four intruders.

One of them demanded to know who else was home. The woman said, “He is upstairs. Quiet or you’ll wake him up.” When her boyfriend opened his upstairs bedroom door, the young men ran out of the house.

As they left, the woman saw another of the attackers had a gun, she said.

A Columbia County sheriff’s deputy saw three young men run across Lake Royal Drive headed toward South Old Belair Road. An older Ford F-150 truck either stopped or moved slowly toward the deputy near the intersection.

As a fourth young man ran across the road to join the other three, the deputy drew his gun and ordered him on the ground. The young man jumped a fence into the Magnolia neighborhood along with others.

Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said police set up a perimeter. Four of the boys were arrested shortly thereafter.

While interviewing the young men, police said they determined one of the 17-year-olds also was involved in the home invasion. He was arrested early Monday.

Morris said one of the suspects attended school with the male victim’s son and thought weapons or money might be in the home.

Authorities are unsure where the suspects got the two guns.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/31/11 - 02:18 pm
Good job to the Columbia

Good job to the Columbia County Sheriff's department!!

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 10/31/11 - 02:25 pm
Containment worked against

Containment worked against the Soviets but it won't work against the feral in our midst. Only UNITY and COMMUNITY will thwart the feral.

Vito45
Vito45 10/31/11 - 02:32 pm
Too bad the boyfriend didn't

Too bad the boyfriend didn't hear what was going on and pump some buckshot into them. Kill a few and you won't need containment, unity, or community. They step in my door and that is exactly what will happen.

roundaboutway
roundaboutway 10/31/11 - 02:41 pm
Amen Vito

Amen Vito

hounddog
hounddog 10/31/11 - 03:05 pm
The liberals and many of the

The liberals and many of the black leaders in communities and churches have created this entitlement mentality among young blacks.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/31/11 - 04:20 pm
We have a rule at our house;

We have a rule at our house; don't open the door to a stranger.

Vito45
Vito45 10/31/11 - 04:29 pm
I'm such a cranky old coot

I'm such a cranky old coot (57), that I don't go to the door unless I'm expecting someone. If i didn't invite you, I don't want to see you or what you are selling. We have one of those decorative glass doors with a mixture of frosted, and well, decorative glass. You can't see through it per-se, but you can see the "image" on the other side. If they keep ringing I will take a look or go to the dining room window to get a peek at the vehicle in case it is a delivery needing a signature. Otherwise, I ain't home. I don't answer the phone for names/numbers I don't know either. That is what i meant when I said if they step in my house they get lead poisoning; for them to be there means they broke in.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 10/31/11 - 04:42 pm
For how much longer will The

For how much longer will The Silent Majority remain mute in the face of the effects of progressive school "discipline" reduced to written policies by effete, highly paid board attorneys?

For how much longer must our older folk, our women and our children fall victim to the products of a juvenile "justice" controlled by a DJJ bureaucracy which sees "juvenile culpability" as an oxymoron?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/31/11 - 05:02 pm
I get it.

I get it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/31/11 - 05:09 pm
45, you sounds as hard core

45, you sounds as hard core and cranky as this (71).

corgimom
corgimom 10/31/11 - 05:14 pm
I don't open the door to

I don't open the door to people I don't know, either.

But as for the remark made by xpresso that "the 11 year old should've been at home"- it was in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. He probably said he was at a friend's house, which is a normal thing for an 11 year old to do on a weekend. Why would you arrest the boy's parents?

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/31/11 - 05:17 pm
Vito45....even if you didn't

Vito45....even if you didn't answer the door they could have just kicked it in (like they've done at my place 5 million times). Just hope they don't slip through the system like most do.

Vito45
Vito45 10/31/11 - 05:23 pm
Patty, double check my last

Patty, double check my last post. The only way they get in my house is to kick the door in. I'll have a locked and loaded Glock .40 pointed at them before they can step through the threshold.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/31/11 - 05:26 pm
Darn 45, You spoke befor

Darn 45, You spoke befor me....sameoooo

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/31/11 - 05:26 pm
Vito make sure they make it

Vito make sure they make it across the threshold.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/31/11 - 05:28 pm
Patty....."5 million

Patty....."5 million times"......I assume you where not home?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/31/11 - 05:29 pm
"Vito make sure they make it

"Vito make sure they make it across the threshold."
WHY?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/31/11 - 05:30 pm
Patty, I don't get many

Patty, I don't get many strangers at my door. If I do, they are usually delivery people. But, I should add that my second rule (which my daughter is really bad about, if I'm not home) is DON'T ignore the door.
That encourages them to kick it down, thinking no one is at home.
I answer through the glass. Not about to open it to a man or woman. Also, if you don't own a gun/permit, get one. My father armed me and insisted that I learned to use it.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/31/11 - 05:35 pm
No Cobalt I wasn't home. If

No Cobalt I wasn't home. If so there would have surely been a different outcome...and I was referring to the old claim that they have to be inside your home in order to shoot them (I'm sure that has changed).
Willow I don't get many strangers either. I think there is a risk of getting it kicked in or them forcing their way in.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/31/11 - 05:48 pm
Have I told you how cute

Have I told you how cute that pumpkin looks on you? Still miss the first photo, though:)

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/31/11 - 06:51 pm
Home security is best served

Home security is best served inside the house! Caliber...immaterial!

bailmeout4
bailmeout4 10/31/11 - 07:31 pm
What is going on in this

What is going on in this town?

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 10/31/11 - 07:34 pm
This is getting out of hand.

This is getting out of hand. I like to keep my door open on cool days to let fresh air into the house etc. Do I have to hide behind my own door in my house to feel safe anymore during the day? Young punks like these need the taste of lead. I guess it is time to bring out smith and wesson from the closet.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 10/31/11 - 08:33 pm
I have installed steel tubes

I have installed steel tubes flush in my floors behind every exterior door in my home each has a trailer ball with the threads machined off to slip four inches into the floor . If they can break that ,my 12ga riot gun will be the next(and last) sound the scum will hear. Harden your homes and your resolve to kill if cornered. Age is not a consideration at that point.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/31/11 - 09:30 pm
bailmeout4....come with me

bailmeout4....come with me for a tour on the SSide and you'll find out.
I didn't know the younger ones names could be released in the paper.

Chillen
Chillen 10/31/11 - 10:03 pm
Our youth today desparately

Our youth today desparately need more guidance from their parents & society.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 11/01/11 - 06:03 am
I know this story brings back

I know this story brings back horrifying memories of a home invasion and murder in Grovetown 3 years ago, that tragically changed many lives. I can't think of anything I want to say on this at this moment. I'm going to watch morning cartoons with our 3 year old and be thankful he has a loving and SAFE home and God put him with us.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/01/11 - 09:59 am
If this had happened in a

If this had happened in a different neighborhood or to a different victim, the younger ones would have been released home to their parents. The punishment always depends on who the victim is. Sorry to say, but very true.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/01/11 - 10:13 am
Patty-P, normally I might

Patty-P, normally I might agree with you but in this case, a weapon was used, actually pointed at somone and threatened them. Therein I believe lies the difference.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.